Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sharp 1930s Fordham Tan Belted Back 3 button Patch Pocket Coat

birkie

Familiar Face
Interesting. At first glance, I would have thought late '60s or early '70s. I guess the three-button configuration and lack of a long center vent would be evidence that it's from an earlier era?

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What about the stitching on the lapels and pockets? Does it look vintage? I want to learn how to date suits by myself.

Gene

Practically Family
The drape-iness of the material screams 1940's to me too, as does the label and topstitching. Also the pocket flaps.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Ditto to the 2 previous posters. While not that valuable, that is a rather unique jacket; a great alternative to a plain ol' 40s-50s patch pocket sportscoat.

dakotanorth

Practically Family
I concur with the majority- 1940's, probably LATE 1940's.
I have a sewing pattern for essentially the same jacket; I know the pattern is from around 1947-1951.
(I'd wash it, personally.)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Apparently, potential bidders agreed with us, and didn't bid at all. The niche market has its rules, and those rules are strict: only belted-back suit jackets or belted-back traditional sportcoats from the 1900s to the '30s are in the running for the big bucks. Later eras need not apply.

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
Interesting. At first glance, I would have thought late '60s or early '70s. I guess the three-button configuration and lack of a long center vent would be evidence that it's from an earlier era?

Long center vents are not a 1960's invention. Suits from the before the '20s tended to have them and I've seen 3 exampels of them apearing on belted back jackets from the '20s-'40s. Though not common, jackets still had them. I've seen smaller vents on some pre-WWII British sportcoats, but in general I see them mostly on late '50s-'60s suits and sportcoats. The lack of vent on this jacket definitly does help age it however.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Not for a gabardine jacket. While from the pictures this looks like a belt-back sportcoat, my instinct is that when worn, it fits like a typical 40s/50s "slacker" jacket, which is why it didn't command 30s belt-back money . . . not sure why folks didn't pickup on that though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24