Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shattering silk taffeta

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Hi Ladies~
As you know, silks do not last well in the vintage world. I just bought that gorgeous suit and I knew the silk taffeta faux blouse was shattering but it can be replaced~ I just hate to have to do it.

However, tho it IS shattering and splitting, it is still somewhat solid unless of course I pull on it, you know how it gets. Since it's kinda just a scarf sewn in for a draped blouse effect and not a huge dress or other large piece of fabric, I'm wondering if that iron on interfacing would help to save it for a while longer? Has anyone ever tried it? I know it would stiffen the fabric, but it would hold it together, no??

Here's the suit, it is just SO gorgeous, much more so in person. Quite the bargain!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=260057649476&rd=1&rd=1

Nikki

GOK

One Too Many
If you use the lightest weight one you can get, it might be ok as a temporary measure but do make sure you use an ironing cloth with it. However, in your shoes, I'd have it out, replace it straight away and pack the original taffeta in some acid-free paper.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I haven't tried to restore silk taffeta, although I have put interfacing and a bit of scrap silk over a hole and then carefully stitched it down to make it secure. An internal patch if you will.

You could try the interfacing. Taffeta is pretty stiff already, so I'd try one of the lightweight fusible knit interfacings instead of the non woven ones. They have a bit more drape, and wouldn't make the taffeta look weird. The big problem would be the color though, any shattered bits would show through as white or black. You might be able to use a coldwater dye on the interfacing if it isn't polyester and eliminate this problem.

I am not sure if that would make the fabric disintegrate faster though. Yikes.

Silk is a wonderful fiber, I just wish it was more durable.

Or, You could also just get a nice scarf, and forget about the restoration.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Once silk starts shattering, there is unfortunately not much you can do. Any extra strain makes it the shatting worse. Like others said, you can patch it for a time, but it will end up spreading. I would reccomend drafting a pattern of it and remaking it new- that way you can still have one identical before the shattering ruins the shape of the garment.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Thanks girls. I know I cannot *save* it.. but I think the interfacing would secure it for a while. All it is really is two cut peices of silk taffeta, (the lightweight stuff, as todays acetate taffeta is very stiff). The edges are not finished or anything. If/when I replace, I wouldn't even sew the edges. The pieces were just cut, pleated somewhat at the top, and hand stiched into the shoulders of the jacket.
Someone has even tried to stich some of the splits back together, oy!

Since the fabric is for a draped effect, the splits it does have are camoflauged inside the "folds"..so I won't have to worry about the interfacing showing through.

I think I'm going to give it a try. At least on a little piece. I'll keep you posted! Probably won't be until after the holidays.

Of course if this were a whole dress or something I would never try it and would want to preserve it as is. I do have an 1860's silk dress that is shattered.. such a shame!!

Nikki

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff