Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shaving wool on anj4 or b3

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Hi guys,
I'm wondering if it's possible to get an ANJ 4 or B3 made with "lighter" wool? Ive seen that people have been able to shave leather to reduce weight, can the same be done to sheepskin? I love the ANJ4 and the style of the b3 and D1, but from what I have read, they are super warm, maybe too warm to get enough wear out of here in Australia. My favourite is the ANJ4, if it's possible to use a thinner sheep skin, it would be more versatile for me, and the reduced bulk wouldn't worry me at all. I understand what they were made for, and they clearly serve that purpose well. I just want something to wear more regularly..has anyone got any experience with this?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
TBH Bunyip, you'll never live in a sheepskin jacket down this way as you can in say Europe. I'm in Vic and have an ELC Irvin which I lived in for nearly 6 months of the year when I lived in Norway. Here I probably have a week's worth of days over the year where I could wear it for most of the day. Saying that it gets a lot of use over winter at night and early mornings.

Probably your best bet is to have a chat with a few makers and see if there's the possibility of them sourcing thinner fleeces or those "shaved" ones and take it from there.

Either that or move to northern Europe ;)

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Cheers Smithy, that's what I thought. I've got a few great jackets that I rarely wear now, trying to avoid another expensive closet filler...

archbury918

One of the Regulars
Personally I cringe at the thought of deliberately changing the thickness of wool for specific jackets, but it is just me.
I am sympathetic to what you mean. This is the first winters in years I wore my heavy sheepskins nearly daily. I think you may be able to check w/ the mfg of jackets to possibly use different skins. After all, you are the customer and its what you want.
They may dissuade you since they are purists as well. Also, keep in mind, that type of custom work will be as much, if not more than retail on regular production.
Another serious consideration is it's resale (should it come) will have a smaller buying interest and you'll never recoup what you put into it. It reminds me of all those customized vans in the '80's. Those guys didn't get any of their invested money back on them.

You mentioned the D-1. It uses 1/4" sheeps wool as compared to the 3/4 to 1 inch of the B-3. I can wear my B-6 and D-1 into the 40 degree range comfortably. Physical activity and under layers determine whats comfortable to wear.

MightyEighth

Familiar Face
Hi guys,
I'm wondering if it's possible to get an ANJ 4 or B3 made with "lighter" wool? Ive seen that people have been able to shave leather to reduce weight, can the same be done to sheepskin? I love the ANJ4 and the style of the b3 and D1, but from what I have read, they are super warm, maybe too warm to get enough wear out of here in Australia. My favourite is the ANJ4, if it's possible to use a thinner sheep skin, it would be more versatile for me, and the reduced bulk wouldn't worry me at all. I understand what they were made for, and they clearly serve that purpose well. I just want something to wear more regularly..has anyone got any experience with this?

Hi Bunyip,

I have shaved an Irvin before, for a different reason.

An Irvin I had last year was super tight due to how long the fleece was. I couldn't get the sleeves on and off on my own if I was wearing a jumper, the fleece mating with the wool jumper! It was just generally that tight due to the fleece, that the kjacket looked super-imposed on me, rather than sitting down and creasing in places etc.

So, I took a regular set of electronic clippers and gave it a grade4 shave all over - worked a treat, even fleece etc. It was longer than the grade4 attachment, as I did not push hard into the fur, I would say it was nearly an inch thick before, and a little under half an inch afterwards. Made a big difference to the way it fit though.

In your situation, I would buy an ANJ4 that was maybe slightly tight on you with full fleece, and give it a good shearing with the electronic clippers! Leave the collar and cuffs alone of course, to keep the look. You could go much shorter than I did without a problem.

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
What type of clippers did you use ?

The rechargeable ones I have are very light duty.

John .the ones i use on my dogs would go through anything..the half inch attachment would take it down neatly..if it loosens the armholes .. my cheques waiting...but then you wouldnt need to change it..peter

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just about to get an ELC D1 because it's a light weight quarter inch fleece, should get 3 seasons use over here. :)

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Crazy man, you won't get much more than a week's wear from one of these over here unless you're in Tassie or the highlands of Victoria. No matter how thick it is.

John Lever

One Too Many
John .the ones i use on my dogs would go through anything..the half inch attachment would take it down neatly..if it loosens the armholes .. my cheques waiting...but then you wouldnt need to change it..peter

I have seen this done and it looked awful and I would never do it to a £1k jacket. Not saying it can't be done but to me its not worth the risk.

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
Sorry john..i thought you were contemplating doing just enough to make it not so restrictive at armholes..thus not having to order another.i think i would be reluctant if it was mine.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I don't think I would be game to shave the wool myself. I actually have professional dog clippers that I've used to completely shave dogs ( not for fun, at the request of owners!) I used to have a little dog wash business on the side. I'm probably with Seb on this one, we have pretty bitter winters here in Canberra, but for that reason, I don't spend much time outside, unless going to the rugby, then it's more gore text kind of stuff....might have to stick with collecting mc jackets...got a sunburst on the way from Carrie which is something I'm very much looking forward to, plus my diamond Dave j100. That might have to do for now..

HighandDry

A-List Customer
I requested the lightest shearling Aero had to make my D1. I previously had a B6 and it was just too warm for Seattle winters (30's-40's)

My D1 fleece isn't really any shorter, but it's a lot less dense than my previous B6. It turned out great for me.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I requested the lightest shearling Aero had to make my D1. I previously had a B6 and it was just too warm for Seattle winters (30's-40's)

My D1 fleece isn't really any shorter, but it's a lot less dense than my previous B6. It turned out great for me.
I actually like the d1 and b6 too. I'm just after something with that look that isn't huge and puffy on me, and that I can wear regularly...

Edward

Bartender
I have seen this done and it looked awful and I would never do it to a £1k jacket. Not saying it can't be done but to me its not worth the risk.

Yeah, I wouldn't risk it either. Even if it turns out okay, I doubt it'd be saleable again, which might be worth considering.

I actually like the d1 and b6 too. I'm just after something with that look that isn't huge and puffy on me, and that I can wear regularly...

The complicated answer is to go looking for a company that will make you a jacket out of the lighter sheepskin used in the B6/D1; the easy answer isto go for a good repro of one of those off the bat. If you like something with more of a trim look, the B6 is your birdy.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, I wouldn't risk it either. Even if it turns out okay, I doubt it'd be saleable again, which might be worth considering.

The complicated answer is to go looking for a company that will make you a jacket out of the lighter sheepskin used in the B6/D1; the easy answer isto go for a good repro of one of those off the bat. If you like something with more of a trim look, the B6 is your birdy.
The Eastman b6 is one of my faves.....I still think Worfs redskin is one of the best I've seen...we are basically the same size. The shearling jackets are really bulky, and ad 48-50 with a chunky build, I'm concerned about the Michelin man factor. Worf pulls it off with panache

Edward

Bartender
The Eastman b6 is one of my faves.....I still think Worfs redskin is one of the best I've seen...we are basically the same size. The shearling jackets are really bulky, and ad 48-50 with a chunky build, I'm concerned about the Michelin man factor. Worf pulls it off with panache

Redskin is a great look on the US sheepskins. I'd even be tempted by a second B3 in redskin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessmiller97