Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Sherlock" BBC series.

C44Antelope

One of the Regulars
Thanks to PBS I've seen the 1st one and plan on watching the 2nd one (I've copied it, just not had time to view it yet). Within the last month I purchased the entire Holmes of Doyle in audiobook form. We had a long drive and my 11 year old and I had a great time listening to A Study in Scarlet. It was interesting to see the similarities in the 1st BBC episode, and Doyle's original work. I suppose my attitude may change after seeing the next two installments.

CharlieB

A-List Customer
Only caught the first episode. Having read all the books and stories several times, I thought it was a laudible take on the characters.

I too find Brett's portrayal the best as it has the correct mixture of action vs. thoughtfullness. Not a parlor mystery (liek Rathbone) or all action (like the Ritchie film).

I could find myself watching more of this one!

vintage68

Practically Family
Thought I'd revive this thread as the new season of Sherlock premiered today on BBC One. I caught the first episode (of three for the second season) today and thought it very well done. Excellent follow-up to the first season in every respect.

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
I, too, saw the first of the second series yesterday. Gorgeous. Loved it! And yes. Nuance is really what it's all about. Brilliant.

Edward

Bartender
Superb stuff - with this, Auntie almost made up for an otherwise very disappointing Christmas season (the very nadir of which was an especially rubbish Doctor Who).

Dr Who can't help being rubbish. I've never been a fan.

This most recent episode of Sherlock was great! I thought their elaboration of Irene Adler was excellent. I'm really looking forward to the next episode - The Hound of the Baskervilles - as I think the Rathbone/Bruce film version is the best adaptation yet (the 50s TV show didn't do a version of this one). I'd love for it to be surpassed by the current adaptation. Roll on Sunday!

bk

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I've encountered that before, I think , with the US - afaik over there it tends to be read as "gay" and/or effeminate, as opposed to the much more nuanced sense in which we would use it this side of the Atlantic.

Camp over here tends to mean one of two things, depending on context.
1. usually rendered "Campy" this refers to the self consciously bad, cheesy movies of the old B-Horror style.
2. Camp gay means stereotypically, flamboyantly gay (think Big Gay Al or the like). This is opposed to a realistic portrayal. I was always curious about "Camp Freddy" in the original Italian Job. He certainly fits the bill, although nothing is ever said about it.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I throw down my gage, good sir!
This most recent episode of Sherlock was great! I thought their elaboration of Irene Adler was excellent. I'm really looking forward to the next episode - The Hound of the Baskervilles - as I think the Rathbone/Bruce film version is the best adaptation yet (the 50s TV show didn't do a version of this one). I'd love for it to be surpassed by the current adaptation. Roll on Sunday!
bk
I loved the new episode. As for the Hound of the Baskervilles, I am glad they are not trying to make a feature film out of it. I always thought it was a needlessly padded short story, and generally one of Sir Arthur's weakest efforts. I can't stand Rathbone.*

*as Holmes.

AntonAAK

Practically Family
Camp over here tends to mean one of two things, depending on context.
2. Camp gay means stereotypically, flamboyantly gay (think Big Gay Al or the like). This is opposed to a realistic portrayal. I was always curious about "Camp Freddy" in the original Italian Job. He certainly fits the bill, although nothing is ever said about it.

Some of the campest men I know are straight.

vintage68

Practically Family

bk

I agree, I thought the elaboration of "The Woman" was very well done and creative. Can't imagine the producers doing that on American TV!!! I'd love the forthcoming Hound to surpass the Rathbone/Bruce version as well. It's too bad though that the new "season" is only three episodes!

ratpack66

New in Town
My brother has the dvd's so I checked them out.I enjoyed them very much.Believe it or not though Moriarty was my favorite character.

Edward

Bartender
Some of the campest men I know are straight.

Always been my experience too.

The Woman was wonderfully done. Far sexier, too, for all the suggested rather than explicitly depicted nudity. Cumberbatch, for all his modern setting, continues to be, imo, the truest interpretation of Conan Doyle's Holmes I have seen.

vintage68

Practically Family
Late as usual to these parties. I see Amazon has the DVD's. I completeley missed this whole thing.

I don't mind so much when I miss something, because then I can catch up and watch all the previous episodes and still have more to look forward to. If I remember correctly the first season came out almost a year ago and there were only three episodes in that "season" as well.

vintage68

Practically Family
Let me be the first to say that tonight's episode of Sherlock, The Hounds of Baskerville, was bloody brilliant!!

BTW, since Americans say "cell phone" what is the term people in the UK use?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner