Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sherlock Holmes

Miss Scarlet

One of the Regulars
I couldn't find any thread about the great detective and wondered which series were peoples' favourites.

I've got to say I worship Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes. I honestly think no one can beat him.

Not only is he the perfect actor for the part, but the clothing is impeccible and very accurate for the time. And the pipes! Oh the pipes. Every occasion is rewarded by a different type of smoke whether it be cigarettes, cigars or pipes...purely wonderful.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I actually really liked Mr. Downey in the role, I thought he brought a different aspect to it while remaining firmly rooted (if not quite completely in) the stories.

I have only just started watching Mr. Brett, but I like what I have seen, and I like the format. Short stories translate very well to tv shows.

Atomic Age

Practically Family
I think Brett is by far the best Holmes ever. However I did enjoy the stage play "Sherlock Holmes: The Strange Case of Alice Faulkner" starring Frank Langella as Holmes. It was recorded for HBO in 1981.

I do think the tv show "House" is among the best "inspired by Holmes" projects ever done.

Doug

ClassicMan1966

New in Town
I like Basil Rathbone myself. While the plots of some of the Sherlock Holmes movies of the 1940's were a bit to be desired, he was able to carry the movie with his performance as Holmes. Plus, he had great chemistry with Nigel Bruce who played Dr. Watson.

Chainsaw

Suspended
I was a big fan of the shelock Holmes stories. I didn't think anyone could play him properly. The specials on PBS do a fairly good job though.

Miss Scarlet

One of the Regulars
"I do think the tv show "House" is among the best "inspired by Holmes" projects ever done."

House is amazing! I love the depth of the character. Stupidly it took me ages to work out that House and Wilson have begin with the same first letter as Holmes and Watson tsk tsk, silly things we miss.

I cannot help but be in awe of Hugh Laurie, especially when watching him in Jeeves and Wooster or Blackadder as the clucking Prince. Then he's suddenly this wonderful intense actor with so many layers of personality akin to Holmes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff