Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shiny suits?

matei

One Too Many
Greetings all,

Question - what makes a suit "shiny"? I mean an undesirable type of shiny...

For example, the other day I was waiting at the bus stop with my back to the sun. I noticed a high proportion of the suits worn by people coming in my direction displayed an underlying "shinyness" that was evident in brigh sunlight. Other times, you can see where the suits have been rubbed (elbows on desks, etc).

Not wanting to generalise, but in my experience most people that have to wear a suit on a daily basis over here don't want to shell out the big bucks... emm... Euros... emm... pounds to get something of quality. In the office I see a lot of polyester - even lycra (!) blends.

Perhaps this has something to do with it?

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I wouldn't say it is necessarily the use of synthetics but rather the current trend towards using lightweight, high super-number wools. A 7 ounce super 120s suit will tend to be shiny in a way that a 10 ounce super 80s suit does not.

The main problem with shiny suits is that they signal the fact that it is not made with durability in mind.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You might be describing "iron shine". Suits should really be steamed, or ironed VERY carefully, perhaps under a towel. I've seen alot of gabardine suffer this fate. I've mostly seen it on pants.
flat-top

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
FlatTop has it

Over ironing causes suits to shine. They'll shine eventually unless they are very carefully looked after. An author will sometimes use 'shiny suit' to set a character whose clothes are aging and without many alternatives in the closet, a careless or seedy person.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Fabrics can be treated with a finish to have "shinyness" after they have been woven. Also, synthetic fabrics seem to usually have more of a sheen than natural fibers, and since they are generally less expensive than a nice wool, this could account for how many suits there are (less expensive=lower production cost= more made). Most modern men seem to see a suit as a suit, having nothing to do with fabric or cut. It's not their fault, really, as they are generally not required in "living" as they were in the golden era. Also, as previously mentioned, the higher the twist in the yarn the more sheen a fabric can have.

Edward

Bartender
Reviving this... Anyone have any remedies for shiny trouser bum syndrome, or does it mean the end for a beloved vintage piece?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany