Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirt Sleeve Garters

kabuto said:
I dunno, however authentically vintage these may be, they just seem to say, "I can't afford to buy clothes that fit me."

I guess they're better than wearing those shirts with two buttons on the cuff and using the innermost one to keep the cuff cinched up around your wrist like a lady's blouse.

See my above post...

CharlestonBows said:
... Non-US shirtmakers, quite generally I should say, only produced shirtings with a sized neck and sleeve lengths in "short" "regular" or "long", proportional to the size of the neck. For example, a "long" 16 neck would be a 34.5 sleeve, whereas a "long" 18 neck would be about a 37 sleeve, and so on.

This dynamic is still at play today. The better shirtings that we carry, from makers in Canada (IMO the best for the buck today), Italy and France all come in measured neck sizes and "regular", "short" or "long" sleeve sizes. Conversely, the Gitman Bros. shirtings comes in a mind-boggling array of neck-sleeve measurements.

Joe_Frances

New in Town
I love the look of them, and some shirts, especially from Pinks, need them, but I find them annoying. Something about them makes me feel uncomfortable, like I am having my blood pressure taken on both arms all the time. Lovely, great look, style and function, but can't do it.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Rhabryn said:
Hey Charleston,

For some reason I'm unable to PM you, so I'm hoping you still check the forum :) (This is a pretty big bump for the thread LOL)

You have to have 15 messages posted before you can send or receive PM's - you're just over halfway there according to your current count of 8.

inzaghi

New in Town
identification please: "arm straps"?

Hi,

this is my first time here - glad to have stumbled in. If I may be so rude as to ask a favor as a newcomer, could anyone please tell me what these sort of upperarm-straps are called (picture)? I really fancy the look of them, but know absolutely nothing about them. Do they serve a utilitarian purpose, and are they still available? I have seen one or two movies from the '40s in which they featured...

(photos from the new Kris van Assche runway show)

Cheers!

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
I have to say that I find armbands really quite uncomfortable, and wouldn't recommend them except for reasons of utility. That said, I have two pairs, one metal "St. George" and one black and yellow silk-covered elastic.

moustache

Practically Family
Baron Kurtz said:
They are useful if you are like most other people, and do not have a "standard" arm length. Shirt arms are always too long for me, so to hold the cuffs at the right place, sleeve garters are necessary.

John Helmer sells them, too.

bk

I second that. I just bought a pair at Helmer's today and they are a great buy for the price. $14.99
My pals and i have called them "sleeve slinkys" as they are metal and look like a small slinky.
They are easy to wear and not at all uncomfortable.Sure a lot better than having your sleeves pop out all the time.
Highly recommended depending on model.

Jim

1boymiffed

New in Town
Arm bands

I am looking for any information for arm bands that keep shirt sleeves tight. Like a poker player or a clerk would use. Along the lines of material, construction and colours. Any help would be great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner