Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe repair

MikeR

New in Town
I bought a used pair of AE Evanstons in great condition on ebay for I believe under $50. Not thinking, one day I knelt down to tie my shoe outside, and realized that my other foot was in gravel...and so this happened to my shoe:

IMAG0050.jpg

IMAG0051.jpg

IMAG0052.jpg

It isn't terribly noticeable, but it makes me sick every time I look at it. Do you think it could be prepared? Given how little I spent on these very nice shoes, it wouldn't bother me to put some money into having them repaired, if a good job could be done.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Mav

A-List Customer
Shoes are big pieces of leather that are wrapped around your feet to keep you from bleeding to death by walking over broken glass. They, like hats, take the brunt of your life experiences. They are a physical record of everything you've done. Look at your personal clothing as cool, fashionable stuff that also serves double- duty as your own personal Library at Alexandria.

It's like the first scratch on a new car- get over it. They're shoes. They'll be even more beat up when you're buried in them.

BTW, great looking footwear. They look even better with those little gravel scars. Make up a good story to go along with them.

Richard Warren

Practically Family
I had a similar experience when a new puppy chewed a pair of slip-ons. The marks looked a lot like the scratches on your shoes. I called the AE re-crafting number and was told rather rudely that they "don't do dog chews."

Anyway, I got over it fast enough and wear the shoes regularly without thinking about it. Now when I'm bored in a meeting I look down at my shoes and think of the puppy and how much my wife loves it.

cptjeff

Practically Family
I'm with the "slap on some polish and call it patina" crowd. Over time, the scuffing and polishing adds up to a very pretty look.

davestlouis

Practically Family
By the way we'll throw them in the casket but normally don't actually put shoes on your feet...every tried to get shoes on a deceased individual? It's no kind of fun.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Now I know nothing about shoe repair, but it seems to me that if you carefully sand the scratch just enough to smooth out the edges of the scratch, but not trying to make the whole thing even. Then just polish and you will be good to go. Maybe this won't work, but it seems right to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes