Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shopping in NYC

BrklynBogieFan

New in Town
Hi ,

I am a complete noob here, but I have very fond memories of my Father wearing his favorite Double breasted sport coat, ascot or hand tied bow tie. His walking stick, and pocket watch. I am considering buying my first suit and related accoutrement's . Can anyone recommend a reasonable place to shop in NYC , a $800-$900 Brooks Brother is a bit out of my price range. Need I spend so much to show good taste?

Thanks BBF

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
BrklynBogieFan said:
Need I spend so much to show good taste?

There is little relationship between taste and price. But, a fully canvassed suitcoat doesn't come cheap, they retail for $1000 and up. You can pick up a quality suit for $400-500 by shopping the seasonal sales and the discounters like Filene's Basement, Century 21 or Loehmann's.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Born and raised in The City, I must say that, of all places, Barney's can bring you some amazing finds. The times to go are just around the holidays. One must pick through the piles and racks of finery and detritus to find the on-sale gems. And there are some real gems mixed in with the stuff that's far too expensive. I have a wool plaid shirt that I bought there more than fifteen years ago (Rough Hewn), a beautiful blue-purple thing, that's one of my prized posessions. A sale item I had to search hard to uncover. They make the up-front stuff the expensive stuff, but there are always treasures for not-much hidden underneath.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR