Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Short Brimmed Hats Please

Tinben

New in Town
I am on the hunt for a short brimmed fedora. I would say "Stingy" but I fear being tarred and feathered. I got a couple of wide brims I wear to block the evil UV rays but I do love a stingy. I'm looking for a good quality fur felt. Hoping to get some good advice and maybe some help finding one in 7 3/8.
I had my eye on the tawny Stetson Asher at JJ's. They are sold out and I am not sure if that's too much to pay or what. I don't know what to look for. Lined vs unlined.

Post a picture of your short brimmed please and tell me why you chose it.
Thank you.

g.durand

One Too Many
Tinben, welcome! You can find lots of good quality vintage stingies in the vintage hats section on eBay, and at very good prices.

Here is a nice '50s or '60s era Borsalino I picked up several years ago on eBay. It's about as nice as you're going to find. Brim width is about 2 1/4 inches.

IMG_2354_zpsfrtnxf9h.jpg
borso_zps3tzkk42y.jpg

Tinben

New in Town
That is a v e ry nice hat. Thanks for sharing.
With vintage hats what should I look for?
Dobbs
Borsalino
Stetson
Biltmore
?

I can say this now as I have pretty much filled up my hat dance card....there are lots of good stingy brims on the Bay or Etsy for much lower prices than fedoras. I have a number of Borsalinos with 2 to 2 1/4" brims that I picked up for great prices. Just picked up two today and now I have vowed that I am done with collecting for now.....ran out of room!
I like a 2" brim which is part stingy part fedora. I wear them with the brims snapped up as my leather jacket and jeans hats as I think they give off a much less formal vibe than a 2 1/2"+ brim.

Tinben

New in Town
Looks like I am just gonna keep on the hunt. Checking EBay and such. Thanks for pointing me to stingy thread.

Tinben

New in Town
I've been searching the webs all morning. Just found a sweet vintage Resistol at a killer price but it is 7 1/8. I'm more 7 1/2.

There is vintage Champ stingy listed on the Bay right now in 7 3/8. The seller states it does not look like it has been ever worn.
It is a true stingy with a brim that looks like just 1". If that is your thing it looks like a good one.

Tinben

New in Town
Thank you for the heads up belfastboy. I wore one my other hats today that is a 7 3/8. It is a bit tight so I better look for a 7 1/2. After looking at the vintage champ you pointed me to I found a sweet looking Cavanaugh in 7 1/2 with a 79 starting bid. Its navy blue though. I'm leaning toward a tawny, brown or light grey. Thank again for helping.

Thank you for the heads up belfastboy. I wore one my other hats today that is a 7 3/8. It is a bit tight so I better look for a 7 1/2. After looking at the vintage champ you pointed me to I found a sweet looking Cavanaugh in 7 1/2 with a 79 starting bid. Its navy blue though. I'm leaning toward a tawny, brown or light grey. Thank again for helping.
I would like to find a Cavanaugh in a dark blue, 7 3/8. It is about the only colour I don't have. I picked up a Borsa in a grey with a 2 1/4" brim. It looks good and if it is as good as the pics a steal at $60. I will check out the Cavanaugh but promise to not bid against you!

Damn, it was a nice one. I was tempted as it looked so nice and I am not inclined to black hats but.....
I picked up a nice Grey '50s era Borsa on Etsy just now. A mid grey with a 2 1/4" brim. So this will satisfy my neurotic need to collect stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace