Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

should I buy the stetson?

stella

New in Town
Hello, Gentlemen,

I am one of those women you see sporting a fedora on the street...not the burberry trendy hat, but an old black borsolino.

Here's the facts and my question: I found an old grey stetson. It is size 7 1/2, I wear a size 7 1/4--is there a way to make the hat smaller without compromising the structure? (I have this vague recollection of in my Poppy putting newspaper in the rim of his borsalino as he lost hair. don't know if this is a good idea).

Thank you in advance for your help!
~stella

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Stella, it's great to see more women wearing real fedora's.

It's quite easy to go down one size, I went to the hardware store and bought some of that thin 1/4 inch insulation that has one side that's sticky and you can put it around doors or window. You can cut off a strip as long as you need and put it under the sweatband at the back of the hat. You don't even notice it's there and it tightens it right up.

fedoralover

Barb

One of the Regulars
I'm not a gent, but

some vendors ship foam sizing tape that will let you change one whole size downwards. you don't stick it in permanently (or so the instructions state) and with wear, the band will shrink. someone should carry this sizing foam.

Fortunately, I haven't needed to use it myself though.

stella said:
Hello, Gentlemen,

I am one of those women you see sporting a fedora on the street...not the burberry trendy hat, but an old black borsolino.

Here's the facts and my question: I found an old grey stetson. It is size 7 1/2, I wear a size 7 1/4--is there a way to make the hat smaller without compromising the structure? (I have this vague recollection of in my Poppy putting newspaper in the rim of his borsalino as he lost hair. don't know if this is a good idea).

Thank you in advance for your help!
~stella

carter

I'll Lock Up
Barb said:
some vendors ship foam sizing tape that will let you change one whole size downwards. you don't stick it in permanently (or so the instructions state) and with wear, the band will shrink. someone should carry this sizing foam.

David Morgan Hats sells the sizing tape on their website. You might consider taking a look.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
There's no need to go to a hat dealer for "sizing strips". You can just get yourself a sheet of felt (or some other similar fabric) at WalMart, etc., and cut your own strips or pieces to the proper size. Fold them over once or twice if you need more thickness. Just be sure to use something that won't lose any dye and stain the hat if you sweat too hard. Sticking with white or black might be prudent.

Barb

One of the Regulars
ah HA

I learn more and more here (every day it seems).

Doctor Strange said:
There's no need to go to a hat dealer for "sizing strips". You can just get yourself a sheet of felt (or some other similar fabric) at WalMart, etc., and cut your own strips or pieces to the proper size. Fold them over once or twice if you need more thickness. Just be sure to use something that won't lose any dye and stain the hat if you sweat too hard. Sticking with white or black might be prudent.

stella

New in Town
wow! thanks for the quick responses!

Barb...great to see "fellow female fedora wearer." :fedora:

Now, folks, next question: how to find a hat cleaner?

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Stella, the sizing strips are good for minor adjustments. You are talking a two hat size change. Another option is the wet the sweat with water and set it on top of a lampshade and turn on the light. As the leather dries, it will shrink. Once it has gotten to the size you require, apply Lexol or some other leather conditioner.

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Stella! Your right on!!

The above tips should give you some good ideas. I personally think most women look great with a fedora! Cant convince my wife however. She thinks its just a prop!!

stella

New in Town
Prairie Shade said:
The above tips should give you some good ideas. I personally think most women look great with a fedora! Cant convince my wife however. She thinks its just a prop!!

tell her "NO!" it's not a prop--at least for me! My family has photos of me wearing my Poppy's stetson and one wearing his borsalino when I was 4 or 5 years.

jpdesign

Vendor
When you go down two sizes, the felt is still that much bigger than your head and it shows. Hats can be resized by a hatter. The felt can be shrunk, the sweat band cut down, and the ribbon reattached.

Jimmy

Wesne

One of the Regulars
Not to be a wet blanket, but considering the relative rarity of vintage hats in the larger sizes and the premium price they bring on eBay, coupled with the fact that 7 1/4 is a pretty common size, you might want to consider putting the Stetson up for auction. With the proceeds you could probably buy two nice hats in your size, have money left over and and make some big-headed guy's day to boot. ;)

Barb

One of the Regulars
waving hello back

Sure is nice to find "birds of a feather" on the female side. I love these fedoras.

stella said:
wow! thanks for the quick responses!

Barb...great to see "fellow female fedora wearer." :fedora:

Now, folks, next question: how to find a hat cleaner?

nulty

One of the Regulars
I would have to agree with just about everything I've read except I would be careful with any means that shrink the materials . You can shrink a sweat and also the felt but in so doing usually the ribbon does not shrink accordingly. You can end up with a ribbon with wrinkles and spaces between itself the the crown...

I would agree the most with thinking about selling the hat. A size 7 1/2 vintage hat in Better than Good condition can do well.

And I do really enjoy seeing a woman in a fedora...always brightens my day

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Wesne said:
Not to be a wet blanket, but considering the relative rarity of vintage hats in the larger sizes and the premium price they bring on eBay, coupled with the fact that 7 1/4 is a pretty common size, you might want to consider putting the Stetson up for auction. With the proceeds you could probably buy two nice hats in your size, have money left over and and make some big-headed guy's day to boot. ;)

When I saw the title of the thread I thought "That's a rhetorical question, right?" lol But I gotta agree with Wesne--you put it up for auction with good photos and info and you should get a pretty penny for it that you can, in turn, spend on a couple more. :fedora:

Cheers,
Tom

stella

New in Town
Barb said:
Sure is nice to find "birds of a feather" on the female side. I love these fedoras.

if you are in southern new england and see a bird wearing a black fedora...that would be this bird! Stop and shout a hello!

stella

New in Town
looks like I will be borrowing a digital camera and selling the stetson! I don't to want have it resized and compromise the integrity of the hat...it is a beaut!

Barb

One of the Regulars
Same goes if you are in Southern NH

and see a bird wearing a fedora!

stella said:
if you are in southern new england and see a bird wearing a black fedora...that would be this bird! Stop and shout a hello!

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Stella and Barb: Boy, I am in the wrong part of the country. You never seen anyone here wearing much of anything but ball caps.

The last time I saw a woman wearing a fedora in Des Moines, she was sitting at a table with the Red Hat Society gals. I almost ran up and hugged her. I was wearing my black Open Road that day, wonder what they would have thought of that!?

Welcome to the Lounge, Stella. I, too, am a fedora-wearing gal and love my hats. There seems to be more and more of us on the Lounge.

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace