Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I get a perm? Advice please.

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
I've had a look at a couple of the perm threads and I thought I'd make a new one as I have a number of specific questions.

I've been pondering getting a perm for a while now and I need some advice. I have a fair few questions and I really hope someone can help me out.

I have fine, straight hair. For a few years I had been dying it semi-permanent black, but now I'm growing it out, and have nearly 2 inches of regrowth. I think my hair is in fairly good condition. Would perming completely destroy it? How does having a perm affect re-dying?

I have Betty bangs- would this be problematic for a perm? Can't see how they could be incorporated but it might look weird if they are straight and flat (btw I am forever trying to get a curl in them).

My main motivation for getting a perm is that I'm fed up of my curls dropping out with wind, rain, etc. However, would my hair just go back to its frizzy permed state if it got wet, or does the perm actually make the curls resist the weather?

Finally (sorry!), is it really true that your hair ALWAYS needs to be set for it to look okay with a perm? No ponytails/easy updos?

If anyone could answer any of these questions I would be so grateful. :)

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Today's perms are stronger while at the same time more gentle on the hair. This means that you can get a looser curl or wave that lasts just as long, meaning a ponytail would look fine. Even semi-perm color does some damage. There are perms made for color treated hair, but the combo of colored and permed hair is not a good thing. I usually recommend that my clients choose one or the other, not both. Also, the perm will strip out some of your color. Having Betty bangs with a perm is fine. Most of the pics I've seen of girls with Betty bangs show curled hair with straight bangs. I think it's a cute look. I think a perm would be ok as long as you use good, professional haircare products and your stylist is careful with the perm.

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Thank you for your helpful and detailed reply :)

I usually recommend that my clients choose one or the other, not both
Would it be such a bad combo that I wouldn't be able to dye my hair again until the perm grows out? I'm just thinking that whilst my regrowth might be passable now, I might have changed my mind when half my hair is dark blond and the other half is dark brown. Cutting it off would not be an option, so I'd like to know that redying isn't out of the question with a perm.

Also, when you say that it'll strip color, would it sorta fade it, or actually take out the colour? This bothers me as I know my hair is orangey underneath from the chemicals in the dye. The last thing I want is to have orange hair that I can't redye cause of the perm!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Coloring after a perm isn't completely out of the question, it's just causing more damage even if you use semi-perm color. I wouldn't say you can't do it without seeing and feeling your hair. It's hard to say exactly what it will do to your current color. It will probably lighten it up a bit and cause it to become a bit brassy. Are you growing the color out to go back to your natural color or is your plan to go to a different color?

Tatum

Practically Family
My main motivation for getting a perm is that I'm fed up of my curls dropping out with wind, rain, etc. However, would my hair just go back to its frizzy permed state if it got wet, or does the perm actually make the curls resist the weather?

Finally (sorry!), is it really true that your hair ALWAYS needs to be set for it to look okay with a perm? No ponytails/easy updos?

If anyone could answer any of these questions I would be so grateful. :)

I can answer the non-color questions!

I have a body wave, and I love it. It helps the curls stay in, and while rain is kind of a killer, wind seems to be no problem for me, or humidity (and I am in Florida where it is sticky most of the year).

To get period-appropriate hair, I do need to set it (no stylist has been able to give me a perm that would give me pin-curl results, for example) but it looks fine when I don't do a thing with it, and it blows out straight just fine as well.

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
I can answer the non-color questions!

I have a body wave, and I love it. It helps the curls stay in, and while rain is kind of a killer, wind seems to be no problem for me, or humidity (and I am in Florida where it is sticky most of the year).

To get period-appropriate hair, I do need to set it (no stylist has been able to give me a perm that would give me pin-curl results, for example) but it looks fine when I don't do a thing with it, and it blows out straight just fine as well.

That's great! Thanks for replying. I think I would go for a wave rather than an actual curl perm, given that I'd still need to be setting it anyway.

How badly does rain affect it? I think I'd rather have wet straight hair than wet frizzy permed hair!

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Coloring after a perm isn't completely out of the question, it's just causing more damage even if you use semi-perm color. I wouldn't say you can't do it without seeing and feeling your hair. It's hard to say exactly what it will do to your current color. It will probably lighten it up a bit and cause it to become a bit brassy. Are you growing the color out to go back to your natural color or is your plan to go to a different color?

Well, the plan is to go back to my natural colour, although I can't rule out wanting to dye it again... I do love having dark hair. The dyed parts of my hair (not my regrowth) are darkish brown that look kind of auburny in the light, though this is probably the orangeyness showing through underneath... my ends are even darker.

Thanks so much for your response, I really appreciate it. :)

vafry

New in Town
I just permed my hair about a week-and-a-half ago (body wave) and have been tickled with the results. I have/had fine hair that pretty much refused to hold a curl before perming, and I've since set it once and my hair stayed in beautiful shape (despite gusts of wind, rain, etcetera) for several days, with just a bit of loosening. Before I set it, when my hair just had the perm-curl look, it definitely did not go frizzy when wet - just don't scrunch your hair in your palms when it's damp unless you want to "reactivate" the curl. :) But I don't have a problem putting it in a ponytail or back in clips for an easy "do".

I can't speak from expertise as far as having coloured hair goes - all I can say is that I used semi-permanent hair dye back in October and still have a bit of the colour in my hair, and it doesn't seem to have made any difference.

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
vafry, that sounds great, and just what I'm after. Thank you for replying so fully :) It seems, then, that having any kind of perm is enough to make your curls hold- that having a really curly perm wouldn't necessarily make them hold better, so I'd be better just getting a body wave...?

I'm guessing a body wave won't look so bad when it starts to grow out either? I can imagine that growing out a tight perm might look a bit odd.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Perm rods come in standard sizes. If your hair is longer than, say, a typical Louise Brooks bob, make sure your stylist uses orange, green or black perm rods. Purple or smaller will give you curls, not waves. Perms are not very common these days. I currently have one client who gets a perm.

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have fine, straight hair. For a few years I had been dying it semi-permanent black, but now I'm growing it out, and have nearly 2 inches of regrowth. I think my hair is in fairly good condition. Would perming completely destroy it? How does having a perm affect re-dying?

I have Betty bangs- would this be problematic for a perm? Can't see how they could be incorporated but it might look weird if they are straight and flat (btw I am forever trying to get a curl in them).

Well, here is how I had it:
1. Perm will not destroy your hair IF you go to a good salon to have it done.
2. Weak hair is not a problem, the stylist will know how much "stuff" to put on your hair, so that's not the problem..
3. Bangs? I guess they can be left alone (not permed if you want them to).. of you'll end up curly as a sheep :) (But, if you're going for that look, just go for it).
4. If your permed hair gets wet it tends to get "wet sheep" look. Or: it's soaked, and the curls are shrined until it dries. I chose not to go to the seaside because of my hair. But, wind is no problem. Perm is PERMANENT. All curls, all the time. So, no weather can ruin your chemically curled hair. You're safe there.
5. Perm=curl. ALL THE TIME. You wash your hair, run you fingers through it and dry it as naturally as possible. If you have to blow dry it, you have to have a diffuser-thing (http://blog.myhairstylingtools.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/finger-diffuser.jpg).
NEVER COMB PREMED HAIR!
Ever!
It will go Cruella de Vil on you!
Last thing:
Only few people managed to straight their hair back. The usual way to remove a perm is CUTTING it off. I had to shave my head, so..
So, think about it. Perming is a big thing.

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Well, here is how I had it:
1. Perm will not destroy your hair IF you go to a good salon to have it done.
2. Weak hair is not a problem, the stylist will know how much "stuff" to put on your hair, so that's not the problem..
3. Bangs? I guess they can be left alone (not permed if you want them to).. of you'll end up curly as a sheep :) (But, if you're going for that look, just go for it).
4. If your permed hair gets wet it tends to get "wet sheep" look. Or: it's soaked, and the curls are shrined until it dries. I chose not to go to the seaside because of my hair. But, wind is no problem. Perm is PERMANENT. All curls, all the time. So, no weather can ruin your chemically curled hair. You're safe there.
5. Perm=curl. ALL THE TIME. You wash your hair, run you fingers through it and dry it as naturally as possible. If you have to blow dry it, you have to have a diffuser-thing (http://blog.myhairstylingtools.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/finger-diffuser.jpg).
NEVER COMB PREMED HAIR!
Ever!
It will go Cruella de Vil on you!
Last thing:
Only few people managed to straight their hair back. The usual way to remove a perm is CUTTING it off. I had to shave my head, so..

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed reply. My main question for you is, if I were to get a wave perm, would what you've said still apply? I don't want a curly perm, just something that will give my hair body and help my sets stay in. Would the negative aspects that you've mentioned still apply to a wavy perm?

I can't imagine never combing my hair- not even when it's wet?

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
5. Perm=curl. ALL THE TIME. You wash your hair, run you fingers through it and dry it as naturally as possible. If you have to blow dry it, you have to have a diffuser-thing NEVER COMB PREMED HAIR!
Ever!
Last thing:
There is some misinformation here. There is no such thing as "your stylist will know how much stuff to put on your hair". Perms come in different strengths, ones for resistant hair, ones for normal hair, ones for damaged or color treated hair. It doesn't matter how much solution the stylist puts on, as long as it's enough to saturate the hair.
"Never comb permed hair". This is also incorrect. First off, while wet, permed hair is perfectly safe to comb. Second, how you treat permed hair if you plan on setting it is completely different than if you plan to wear it air-dried. If you roller set or pincurl set permed hair, it can be treated just like straight hair that is roller set or pincurl set, meaning you can brush or comb it after the set has completely dried.
Perming is only as drastic as coloring. Both are permanent. Both can only be gotten rid of by either growing out and cutting off or by a major chemical procedure that damages the hair (chemically straightened vs corrective color).

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
There is some misinformation here. There is no such thing as "your stylist will know how much stuff to put on your hair". Perms come in different strengths, ones for resistant hair, ones for normal hair, ones for damaged or color treated hair. It doesn't matter how much solution the stylist puts on, as long as it's enough to saturate the hair.
"Never comb permed hair". This is also incorrect. First off, while wet, permed hair is perfectly safe to comb. Second, how you treat permed hair if you plan on setting it is completely different than if you plan to wear it air-dried. If you roller set or pincurl set permed hair, it can be treated just like straight hair that is roller set or pincurl set, meaning you can brush or comb it after the set has completely dried.
Perming is only as drastic as coloring. Both are permanent. Both can only be gotten rid of by either growing out and cutting off or by a major chemical procedure that damages the hair (chemically straightened vs corrective color).

Thanks for clearing that up, kamikat. Phew, I'm glad I'd be able to comb my hair! From all the (great) replies I've had so far, I think I'll be going for a wave/body perm. Seems like it has the least chance of turning into a frizzy mess, and if I decide to just grow it out it shouldn't look too bad, right?

I'm actually really excited to make my next appointment now, should be sometime in the next month :D

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Ummm....glad you let her know about the misinformation. I've never heard anyone say you couldn't comb permed hair before...or had a wet sheep look when my perm was wet. I actually like the way the perm looks wet.

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
(Deleted my question about salons vs. my home hairdresser... figured there's not a lot they can do if you don't like it or it goes wrong, even in a salon!)

Realised I forgot to say, my hair is very oily, so perhaps it'd do it good to be dried out a bit.

Last edited:

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've never heard anyone say you couldn't comb permed hair before...or had a wet sheep look when my perm was wet. I actually like the way the perm looks wet.
Than maybe it was just my hair. I could comb it while it's wet. But, if I tried to comb it while it's dry.. I'd get an afro. That is because I had very small curls. http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_30PRmkOl4ro/Sg1r8jXpVjI/AAAAAAAAQL4/mEVakDHLe08/s400/Trendy+Short+Curly+Hair+Styles+2009.jpg ..like this.
About the "sheep" look. Sorry.. I had that one every time I wash my hair. :( Could be just that my hair was like that.
As for the stylist: there ARE different amounts of products for different hair. And, my hair got a bit dry when I permed it.
That's it. :)

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
It helped mine a lot with the greasies!

That's great to hear!

Booked my appointment for the 11th of April, woohoo! :D going to have some layers put in my middy too; the very longest part (at the back in the middle) doesn't hold curl very well, so I thought that'd sort it.

KittyAnneMalloo

Familiar Face
I love love love love my perm!!! My hairdresser was reluctant to do it but I kept at her. She kept saying that only older ladies get perms lol. Finally I explained that as I like to set my hair and that perms help keep your set longer she gave in. Yes it makes everything better but it did dry out my hair a bit but again it was greasy so it helped there! Did I mention I love my perm!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21