Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us their hats!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
chaplin.jpg

Sir Charles Spencer Chaplin KBE

Colin S. Monteith III, a great-grandson of Heck Thomas, 1890’s Indian Territory & Oklahoma Territory Deputy Marshal, sold Thomas’ scrapbook/photo album in 1998 to the famous collector Robert McCubbin. After McCubbin’s death when his collection was auctioned off, this single photograph sold for $16,520 in 2019 at Lebel’s Old West Auction.

Identities are written on the back in Thomas’ handwriting:

1. Spotted Dog Eater
2. Morris Robacker, Police Osage
3. H.A. “Heck” Thomas
4. Howling Wolf
5. Havinghurst, Clerk U.S. Court
6. Roy Hoffman, “U.S. Pros, Atty"

IMG_4971.jpeg

L to R: Dave Rudabaugh, Henry Newton Brown & William Henry McCarty (Billy the Kid)

IMG_4968.jpeg

BtK was first introduced to Dave Rudabaugh by rancher Jim Greathouse sometime in 1880. BtK & Rudabaugh were captured (along with Billy Wilson, Tom Pickett & Charlie Bowdre) on December 23, 1880 at Stinking Springs, NM but Brown wasn’t with them so the photo is not likely from the time of their arrest. Of the three BtK was the first to be killed in July 1881. Henry Newton Brown died in 1884, & Dave Rudabaugh was killed in Mexico in 1886 after leaving the Clanton gang. So this photo dates to sometime in 1880 - 1881 but the occasion is unknown.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
New year's eve 2023 2024 012.JPG

The shot is out of focus, the hat isn't her's and the cameraman, me, is all but legless. It was New Year's Eve, 2023/2024, Tina and I were enjoying the celebrations, she grabbed my hat and all the phones and cameras pointed in her direction.

Despite the poor quality of this photo it's one that I really like. My Tina, having a ball, priceless!

28x42 photograph of Buffalo Bill Cody, Pawnee Bill Lillie & Buffalo (Charles Jesse “CJ”) Jones. From a photographic series done of the three in 1910 NYC. Photograph was in the possession of the Jones family. Previously featured on the cover of Newsweek, & Legends Of The Wild West magazine. Buffalo Jones was featured prominently in Ken Burns 2023 documentary, The American Buffalo. Recently sold at auction for $8,610.00.

IMG_5017.jpeg

Original 1904 Butch Cassidy & Sundance Kid $2,000 reward wanted poster issued by Pinkerton's National Detective Agency after the robbery of the First National Bank of Winnemucca, NV on September 19th, 1900, during which $32,640 was stolen (all but $440 was in gold coins).

IMG_5039.jpeg

Wanted poster sold at auction for $19,965.00.

—————————-

L to R standing: William Carver; Harvey Logan
L to R sitting: Harry Longabaugh, (Sundance); Ben Kilpatrick; George Parker, (Cassidy)

IMG_4997.jpeg

One of only 3 original copies of this photograph to have been found.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner