Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us their suits

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
1938 School Chess Competition in Essex:

Chess%20schools%20competition%201938_zps2bdb111b.jpg

When was the last time anyone went to school in England dressed like that?

Here's one for HBK - 1932 Yo-Yo competition in London:

yo%20yo%20%20London%201932_zpse062d79e.jpg

Shoes with 'Tarsal Straps'.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Man, that chap has long arms and MASSIVE fingers. That helps for yoyo, I guess, or just for holding ladies hands, maybe.

Come back to my place baby, and I'll show you my yoyo's …

:D

I am really starting to covet those tarsel strap shoes... Excellent photo Two Types!

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
That double-breasted jacket is really interesting. There is also something incredibly modern about his entire outfit. Does it say the year?

And he reminds me of Sproily

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
no date TT, but looks early 20s (pre bag) to me.
notice that his trousers have been altered with a crease still visible mid-way on the turn up.

notice also the pocket entrance on one of the Norfolk gent's straps.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Neat!

Would the pleats be decorative or functional?

One thing I've been wondering is when do action pleats came in? I've looked at many photos from the late 19th and early 20th Century (pre-WWI) of people in the UK in Norfolk and shooting jackets and I really do not see any action pleats that I can remember. Then suddenly in the 1920s (and of course later in the 1930s) we see them.

Last edited:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Chasseur, those particular pleats are purely decorative (edit: unless you count the box pleat in the middle which will be functional to a degree).

i don't have any Victorian photos of an action pleated Norfolk either, but i'm sure one existed as it seems logical that the action pleated back was invented for shooting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael