Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us their suits

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
from the book 'Crooks Like Us' (thanks to FlatFootFloey for alerting me to the book):

CROOKS_LIKE_US_2.jpg

amazing how the narrow, off-the-shoe trousers make it look so modern.

Metatron

One Too Many
Great suit! Very relaxed look. I also like the off-the-shoe look here. I have to admit that I enjoy the 2010s vintage inspired fashions, but unfortunately one thing that doesn't seem to be coming back any time soon is the 'casual' suit.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow. Nice. The big fat buttoned breast pocket looks very sporty too. Did you buy the crooks like us book? Any leads where I could find it cheaper?

Metatron

One Too Many
I think that people are saying that by today's standards they look sharp, plus they have the natural rumpled look which is way better than anything pre-distressed or pre-creased. ;)

Flat Foot Floey

:ranger:Yes. I only got Least Wanted. I think I paid 9€ at a book outlet store in Düsseldorf. Tried to get "Crooks like us" two times, ordered it and then it was sold out or got missing in the post. :eusa_doh:

Flat Foot Floey

A random google search did lead me to this picture. I searched for 20s but this is 30s. Snappy college fashions as seen in the Sears catalogues? Look at the waistcoats!
31a26ce0269879f9f520be2b601d4a6c_1M.png

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
I was re-reading one of my old issues of CLASSIC STYLE today and came across a photo of Bogart's suit from The Big Sleep (Issue #2, Page 19) from an article on the collector who owns it. Measurements given seem very questionable to me. Jacket: 44" chest, 42" waist, 29" collar to skirt, and Trouser: 34" waist, 31" inseam, and 34" outseam. Inset photo of the label lists the suit as a 40.

OK, sources list Bogey at anywhere from 5' 7" or 5' 9" and from all I've read (on this forum and elsewhere) a 38 Short or Regular. So doesn't a 44 chest and 42 waist seem huge for him? And also, I'm 5" 10" and a 48R, and my inseam is normally 30". How would an inseam of 31" and an outseam of 34" be possible, especially with the high-waisted trousers of the day? A typo maybe?

Last edited:

Qirrel

Practically Family
Maybe they meant to write 44" outseam, which would make more sense. And if the jacket measurements are correct, then I very much doubt he was a 38. 6 inches of ease in the chest would have been very unsightly.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Q, that could be a typo, but i can't believe Bogey was a 42 chest. he was a wirey man with a big head:

Bogart_Kid_1937.jpg

bogartbacall.jpg

edit: ok, 40 chest with 4 inches of ease is just about possible.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn