Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us their suits

Metatron

One Too Many
I love the button down collar with the big buttons! Not subtle, but so quintessentially of that era. Kind of a perfect blend of clunky and stylish.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Did a lounger win this suit? I tried to bid on it with a sniper, but it jammed. Bummer. It's not easy to find suits to fit my arms and this would have been my first SB 3-piece with notched lapels. :(

http://www.ebay.de/itm/380724740101?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

DSC_0058-X2.jpg

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
First, because the auction ended in the middle of the night. And on top of that, I was at a place with no internet access. But snipers are still valid tools. The ebay automatic bidding helps ebay to realize higher prices because it encourages bidding wars. Sniping means your opponent can't sneak in an extra bid. Of course, if the other has a higher maximum bid there is no difference. But I find that sniping keeps the prices low for me more often than not.

Metatron

One Too Many
I thought this shirt Jean Gabin is wearing looked interesting:

Is that a workwear style chinstrap? Funny thing is, there appears to be no second button hole.
Has anyone encountered this style before?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Adam & Evelyne (1949)

there's not much to mention in this film:

Stewart granger has a rather nice corduroy dressing gown:
SGcorddressinggown_zps03e391b7.jpg

SGcorddressinggown2_zpse342c753.jpg

and this price of wales check number:
SGdressinggown_zpse68fd2fb.jpg

For 1949 his suit is rather modern looking - by 'modern' I mean it's more like the suits that became popular in the fifties (he was a customer of one of Savile Row's top tailoring firms):
SGsuit_zps72c73b8e.jpg

and whenever people say 'forties suits didn't have vents', remember that some did:
SGsuitwithvents_zps4b1ef4f1.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
More Stewart Granger, this time from 'The Lamp Still Burns' (1943)

The dressing gown appears to be his trademark. this one has rather nice peaked lapels:
grangerindressinggown_zps25348945.jpg

Once again, we see Granger in a distinctive suit, that is far from the more common styles of the period. This one has narrow lapels, a flap on the breast pocket and double vents. It looks as if it might even have covered buttons.
Grangersuit_zpsead8e2e5.jpg

Grangersuit2_zpse0845baa.jpg

It seems to be somewhere between the pre-war riding coats and the Edwardian inspired styles that became popular post-war (leading to the Edwardian then Teddy Boy look).

Metatron

One Too Many
Just watched a superb french movie: Orpheus from 1950. I thoroughly recommend it.
As far as clothes are concerned, I think there are some treasures in that department also:

Lots of beatniky outfits, some make me think of late 1950s/early 1960s rather than 1950, very casual and 'anything goes', then they are supposed to be artists and poets:

Interesting corduroy coat

The cord coat again, and a rather peculiar work shirt worn by the girl.

Long hair.

Skinny tie. The woman's hair looks very 1960s to me.

An excellent look imo. Loose collared jumper and a suede waistcoat.

Metatron

One Too Many

Look at how wonderfully cut those trousers are.

Minimalistic, boxy suit. Not normally a fan of those features, but this one looks superb on Jean Marais. Then, what wouldn't? He was clearly a man with very striking features.

Hope you enjoy the photos.

Last edited:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i like all of the looks except Jean Marais' last wide shouldered suit.

The woman's hair looks very 1960s to me.

that's Juliette Greco, French singer and darling of artistic Paris cafe society in the late 40s- early 50s. it's very likely that her hair style and black jumper look influenced the later stereotypical beatnik girl look of the late 50s.
the look is parodied in 'the Rebel' by Tony Hancock, 1961.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Neat stuff on this thread!

With all these Jean Marais photos I am waiting for some shots from a Fantomas movie ;)

222783.JPG

Metatron

One Too Many
A couple more:

I think that this shows that the rule that the tie width needs to match the lapel width needs to be taken with a grain of salt. The tie can be visually just a dividing line.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
I think that this shows that the rule that the tie width needs to match the lapel width needs to be taken with a grain of salt. The tie can be visually just a dividing line.

i'm confused.
are you referring to the skinny tie (which was posted in an earlier photo) ?
you mean a dividing line between the left and right side of the upper body ?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou