Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us their suits

MikeBravo

One Too Many
They were likely copying the iconic Will Rodgers whose trademark look was wearing his hat askew.

images

I thought of Hoagy Carmichael

hoagy.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I thought of Hoagy Carmichael

Yeah, there were a bunch of guys who copied the look. And I'm sure Rodgers picked it up from somewhere else but he was such a cultural force that it became his. Kinda like the Duke of Windsor and all the sartorial 'firsts' that are attributed to him but that were worn before by others who were not on the world stage.

Metatron

One Too Many
How do they manage to keep their hats on their noggins in this manner? If I were to wear a hat in the same fashion (I have some that are too small, so they would probably sit on my head like this) it would just fall off as soon as I move my neck or wrinkle my forehead. Or I would have to jam it down hard, making it uncomfortable and likely damaging the sweatband.

You clearly don't have what it takes to wear a hat at a jaunty angle. :cool:
1918? Wow.
Has anyone noticed that strange zig-zag ornament, like a pocket flap on the jacket on the right?

cchgn

One of the Regulars
How do they manage to keep their hats on their noggins in this manner? If I were to wear a hat in the same fashion (I have some that are too small, so they would probably sit on my head like this) it would just fall off as soon as I move my neck or wrinkle my forehead. Or I would have to jam it down hard, making it uncomfortable and likely damaging the sweatband.

Well, I'm sure they didn't wear their hats that way all the time...when folks wear hats all the time, they'll adjust them alot of different ways( for comfort), sometimes even taking them off and not wearing a hat at all for awhile.

With the beginning of photography, formal portraits were the norm, but as photography grew, so did shooting styles. Photgraphers went out West and to capture scenes for folks back East. Pioneers, Cowboys and outlaws, etc, they "hammed it up" . Same with photographing the Soldiers and Sailors. Alot of folks have a real problem being photgraphed and it shows.

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
The Gaunt Stranger (1938)

Sonnie Hale plays a criminal released from prison to help capture a master villain. We know Hale is playing a criminal simply by the suit he wears:

SonnieHale1-WideBoysuit_zpsc2d95ac5.jpg

SonnieHale2-WideBoysuit_zpscb564b0f.jpg

Complete with double breasted waistcoat:
SonnieHale3-WideBoysuit_zps133e8136.jpg

It has very slanted pockets for the genuine wide-boy look:
SonnieHale5-WideBoysuit_zps8283ca28.jpg

And look at his cap:
SonnieHale4-WideBoysuit_zps258cddd7.jpg

This appears to be the same suit that appeared in the film Penny Paradise:
PennyParadise-stripedsuit2_zps04a09d54.jpg

PennyParadise-stripedsuit5_zps288cbb46.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
More from the Gaunt Stranger:
Peter Croft wearing a rather fluffy coat with a very bold herringbone weave:
PeterCroft3_zps82cf6493.jpg

PeterCroft2_zps252a1993.jpg

PeterCroft_zpsac0188b1.jpg

Wilfred Lawson in a nice dressing gown:
LawsonDressingGown_zps9643ae13.jpg

John Longden displaying a much larger tie knot than usually seen during this period:
Johnlongden2_zps06a6c5ea.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
From 1930, the first British all-talking colour film (although no colour prints exist) Harmony Heaven:

Jack Raine whose character is described as "such a swanker":
JackRaine_zpsbbe48e71.jpg

JackRaine3_zps4b7946f2.jpg

Stuart Hall:
StuartHall1_zpsc3d891cb.jpg

nice soft pointed collars:
StuartHall4_zps30e2e624.jpg

StuartHall5_zps9eb9c2f9.jpg

StuartHall2_zpsd19a723b.jpg

Trint

New in Town
Great film pictuers Two Types. Though being a Swede I'm at the moment into UK movies, watching movies with such actors as George Formby, Terry Thomas, Basil Rathbone and others. These threads are great to get aquaintance with until now unknown movies and actors.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Trint: if you like British films you should check out my blog (see link below). It has lot's of photos are information about British films, lots of them are quite obscure.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Here's a selection from 'Over She Goes' (1937):

First off, here's former World Heavyweight Boxing Champion Max Baer in a nice belt back jacket:
baerbeltback4_zps9a6a7c7b.jpg

baerbeltback3_zpsa2912ea5.jpg

baerbeltback2_zps2c26ca69.jpg

baerbeltback1_zpscbba28e0.jpg

And his normal suit:
baer1_zps80d29882.jpg

Maxbaer1_zps2cb2f403.jpg

baer2_zps2703191a.jpg

And finally his dressing gown:
dressinggown_zps09eaa88c.jpg

dressinggown2_zps249d61d0.jpg

Quite what an American boxer was doing in a British musical, I really don't know.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
More from 'Over She Goes'

Whoever said "they never used to button the bottom button on a waistcoat"?
waistcoat_zps119f3eee.jpg

This summer outfit is just about perfect: bags, a white jacket, shirt and tie, suede shoes:
woodampcliff3_zps0876178b.jpg

woodampcliff2_zps04a863a8.jpg

woodampcliff_zps34ffe656.jpg

Fox Hunting jacket:
Woodampluce_zps77a6b405.jpg

I hope this jumper was a gimmick, rather than a genuine item:
knitwear_zps79ad4054.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Seven Days to Noon:

The inevitable late 1940s British spiv
Spiv.jpg

It's interesting to note the difference between the British and American radio presenters (Frederick Allen and Merrill Mueller playing themselves in the film):
Frederick+Allen.jpg

merill+mueller.jpg

I don't have to tell you who is the Englishman and who is the American!

Sports jacket circa 1950:
Hugh+Cross.jpg

Last edited:

simonc

Practically Family
Yes I'm not sure that the Americans realise that its against the law here to remove one's jacket regardless of heat or circumstance.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
knitwear_zps79ad4054.jpg

That jumper!
Nice pattern, but judging by the length, either for a guy with an absurdly short torso or a gal showing off cleavage and belly. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183