Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you have Crafted!

Rosie

One Too Many
Those are great!

Maybe they used buttons to attach them. My mom tells me about these collars she had as a teenager, they buttoned on to her shirts and often, she would safety pin them onto her sweaters.

Honey Doll

Practically Family
stitched on....

shindeco said:
Thanks for the compliments.

Maybe someone here has some insight on a question I've always had about the original picture/pattern:

Ever since I first saw the picture for the pattern, I've been trying to figure out how she gets the cuffs to stay on her wrists. Cufflinks, probably but do you think the cuffs are attached to the sleeve in any way? I can only assume they're cut so small that they stay put--any other ideas? (The pattern only gives the edging, no pattern for the fabric part of the set)

I would think they would be basted on and the whole of it handcleaned.

Honey Doll

Snookie

Practically Family
I have a couple vintage sewing books that show snaps for removable collars. Snaps should work for the cuffs, too. Super cute collar, btw! How long did it take you to make it?

shindeco

A-List Customer
Snookie said:
How long did it take you to make it?

A couple of weeks, working off and on; it's a very simple pattern. I was working on it while my dad was having open heart surgery so a lot of it was done in the waiting room during his surgery (that's the main reason I can't get rid of this particular one!!) [highly successful surgery, by the way]

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Oh good, I'm glad you're dad's ok. It's amazing how doing something with your hands is so calming. I picked up my knitting mostly when I was going through rough times and it really helped soothe me.

Wow - it's so nice to see the lovely end results of the creative efforts of the girls here! Some really terrific stuff! i love the cotton printed linings in Lady Day's jackets!

I haven't done any garment sewing for some time, but I'm back at it again. Hope to have some dresses finished after Christmas.

In the meantime, here are a few things I've done outside of garment construction:

BabyBlanket3.jpg

Crochet Baby blanket from the time-honoured ripple pattern. these come out really nice and cozy and springy! Toddlers love them as proven by my little niece and nephew.

TeapotDoily.jpg

Thread Filet Crochet teapot doily for my mother done several years back. i can't find the pattern any more, so I guess I'll have to make it again from the item! ergh!

MilkGlassPincushion.jpg

Another gift for mom - it's a old milk glass egg cup that I turned into a fancy pincushion with some scraps of silk and some little velvet pansies.

NavyFeltLaceCloche2.jpg

Navy Velvet Cloche I "remade" to match a vintage dress. both dress and hat have the same lace trim and running stitch detail. [used a salvaged felt hat found in pitiful thrift shop condition. cheap materials!]

NavyFeltLaceCloche.jpg

another view

PersianLambFeathersPillbox.jpg

Black Persian Lamb pillbox - rescued and revived with beautiful dark blue ostrich feather and antique glass buttons. I used to wear this with a vintage men's Air Force issue blue overcoat that i attached a Persian Lam stole to. Sounds funny, looked great. :)

A few more ...

NavyStrawWideBrimOpenCrown4.jpg

Probably my favorite hat rescue! this is a 40's straw "day at the races" hat with open crown. It was caked in dust and rather squashed when I found it, but my heart beat faster anyway when I saw it! Some steam, brushing, mending and trimmings brought it back to life. It looks really nice on. I may change the trim to something more tailored this year.

NavyStrawWideBrimOpenCrown3.jpg

another view

NavyStrawWideBrimOpenCrown.jpg

from the front

BlackStrawRosesCloche2.jpg

My second favorite hat resuscitation! this is a loosely woven black gimp that was well, somewhat lifeless to be nice about it. again with the steam and stitches....it looks quite a knockout on ;)

BlackStrawRosesCloche3.jpg

front view

BlackStrawRosesCloche.jpg

back

Better stop for now before I kill the server! :p

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hamilton Honey, those certainly are magnificent! Have fun wearing them.
I like what you did with the milk glass. I have a collection of milk glass, from many different eras, that my Granny gave to me when she moved from her big house to a small apartment. She just didn't have the space for it and figured that I'm always collecting stuff, so why not start collecting more!!

Also, I'd like to welcome you to The Lounge. I hope you have fun and find it as filled with interesting information as I do. I look forward to reading more posts, seeing more of your collection and what you've made.

GOK

One Too Many
Wow HH, you must have so much patience to do that crochet. I'm impressed.
As Daisy said, welcome to the forum - hope you have a lovely time here.

GOK

One Too Many
Hamilton_Honey said:
I really enjoy this forum, and I appreciate the warm welcome!

I find all of you very inspiring!

As for the crochet, it does take time, but I find it very soothing and cozy. I'm just finishing up a full size blanket for my Dad. I'll post some pics when it's done.

A full sized one? My goodness, you really are blessed with an abundance of patience, aren't you? Looking forward to seeing it when it's finished. :D

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Working on Christmas gifts...

I generally make my own cards. Im a HUGE relief print adict (as seen on my website ;) )! So I do a small scale edition of Christmas cards in my kitchen using water soluble ink lol

This is somewhat of a Deco inspired design.
DSC00362.jpg

And I made gifts this year. Pot holders!!!!! Yay!
I made about 15 and Im mailing them off this week. Whew!

Friends and family look out, quilted pot holders coming your way!
DSC00359.jpg

Thanks,
LD

atomicfabulous

New in Town
I made some jewelry using vintage buttons. I have come across some pretty cool buttons recently...finally figured out what to do with them! I love the scotty buttons, they are carved out of coconut and are about the size of a half dollar. The cluster ring has a beautiful jet bead with little dabs of color, I wish it were easier to see! The bird necklace is pieced from recycled new jewelry, it used to be a pin...If you ever find fascinating old brooches or broken jewelry, get out the dremel and turn it into a pendant! The big green one is a piece of bakelite that was from a HUGE pair of earrings. The button in the center is carved jet. I <3 buttons!
HPIM0421.jpg

Kim_B

Practically Family
Those are awesome, Atomicfabulous! I love to make my own jewelry - I've never thought to use vintage buttons! What a great idea!

atomicfabulous

New in Town
all a girl needs is a dremel and lots of bits! you can make anything into a pendant, or make holes to wire things together! i love finding old chunks of bakelite and buttons that aren't good for anything by themselves. i would love to be able to carve on it, but sadly my attempts have come up less than desireable!

GOK

One Too Many
OK this is a departure from the usual 'I made this' fare! I was sorting out my photos and came across the following. All my own work!

My daughter's wardrobe and bedroom doors c.1997

lr1.jpg

Bathroom door. c.1997

br1.jpg

Harvey (1999). Scenic design and set decorating by me;

har3.jpg

har2.jpg

har1.jpg

I made the printing block for the 'wallpaper' and hand printed it all - took ages. You can just about see the bookcase in the last photo - every spine is different and titled with something humorous!

Breezeblock Park (2000). Scenic design and set decoration by me;

bbp4.jpg

bbp3.jpg

bbp1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24