Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you have Crafted!

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Thanks!

I've done a lot of this type of pattern, so I really don't have to read a lot of it. That helps it to go quickly. The green one took about 12 hours total, spread out over a week. Finished that one on Monday afternoon, and started the red and white one Monday night. (As in this past Monday, Memorial Day.) Started the blue one yesterday. Worked on the red and white and the blue one at the same time - alternating to a different color/pattern when I got bored with one of them, and finished them both today. So, the red and white took about 10 hours, and the blue one took about 8 hours.

(I'm also unemployed at the moment, so crocheting keeps me from going stir-crazy!)

The blue one is a present for one of my sisters, the red and white one is for another sister (whose anniversary happens to be Valentine's Day, so it is very fitting), and the green one is for my cousin. I hope they like them all!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
AmateisGal said:
Embroidery001.jpg

That's lovely! My mother loves vintage embroidered aprons. I must make one for her one day. :)

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Babydoll said:
The blue one is a present for one of my sisters, the red and white one is for another sister (whose anniversary happens to be Valentine's Day, so it is very fitting), and the green one is for my cousin. I hope they like them all!

Got backhanded compliments from one of the sisters today. Very discouraging. Actually brought me to tears. That will be the last thing I make for her. :(

Blondie

Practically Family
Babydoll said:
Got backhanded compliments from one of the sisters today. Very discouraging. Actually brought me to tears. That will be the last thing I make for her. :(
Ohhhhhhhhh that is awful, i love your work, you are very talented, maybe she is just jealous, that usually brings out the worst in people.
Try not to let it upset you, although easier said then done, esp. after you took the time & effort to make her something so lovely......
I would have been overjoyed to recieve something handcrafted for a present !

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Thank you for your kind words. Unfortunately, this is just another symptom of the dysfunction of that relationship. I'll save my handiwork for those that appreciate it.

(Hey, want a doily? ;))

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
I've been trying to get some of my sewing projects wrapped up before my mama-in-law's visit next week.

Yesterday I made some receiving blankets for our Little One.

receivingblankets.jpg

receivingblankets2.jpg

I rounded the corners, used my rolled hem foot, and did a cute stitch for the edge. Each one took about 20 minutes to sew, and are much cuter (and nicer!!) than anything I've found in the store. I used baby flannel for them. They're so easy to make that I plan to make many, many more before Little One arrives. They're also big enough that we'll easily be able to make Baby Burritos! :D

I also made curtains for baby's room. They are a coordinating cotton fabric to the jungle babies print above. It's very cute, and darkens the room quite a bit. I was concerned that I'd have to make a liner to block out light, but I don't think that will be necessary.

My last big project is making a baby quilt. I've never made one before so I chose a simple squares-only pattern. I'm hoping that it goes together quickly as I want to get it done in the next two days!

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
I finally finished the quilt. The pattern is called "Monkey Mischief". I did an "oops, why did I do that?" when cutting out the backing, but one of my friends suggested a fix for it that I think is cute.

Front of quilt. Brown squares are a stretchy fur. The worst of the fabrics to work with!

monkeyquilt_3.jpg

Flannel back of the quilt.

monkeyquilt_4.jpg

(Pay no attention to the cowboy boot sheets on our spare bed. It was the only surface big enough in baby's room to display the quilt.)

This was my first attempt at a quilt. It's not perfect (by any means), but I'm pleased with the result. I think I'm hooked!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I had been meaning to do this for a loooooooooooooooooong time.

Im one of those 'bottled water is a joke' nut jobs, so I got a vintage canteen online last year. Now, the sleeve it came in was grimy, and not at all fashion forward, so I didn't use it, and the aluminum canteen just kept banging around in my bag. SO! I finally got around to whipping up a pattern, and making a new, more chic sleeve for my water repository.

oldcase.jpg
front-15.jpg

I used some of left over quilting fabric I had from a jacket I made and lined it with a lovely burgundy cotton/linen blend from an old deconstructed bodice of a dress I once made. From making the pattern to final buttons, whole thing took like 3 hours.

detail.jpg

Its fastened at the buttons (which are decoration) with hook and bars, and has a real snug fit. Im *very* pleased with it, and now all the stuff in my bag is safe once more :)

LD

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Lady Day said:
I had been meaning to do this for a loooooooooooooooooong time.

Im one of those 'bottled water is a joke' nut jobs, so I got a vintage canteen online last year. Now, the sleeve it came in was grimy, and not at all fashion forward, so I didn't use it, and the aluminum canteen just kept banging around in my bag. SO! I finally got around to whipping up a pattern, and making a new, more chic sleeve for my water repository.

oldcase.jpg
front-15.jpg

I used some of left over quilting fabric I had from a jacket I made and lined it with a lovely burgundy cotton/linen blend from an old deconstructed bodice of a dress I once made. From making the pattern to final buttons, whole thing took like 3 hours.

detail.jpg

Its fastened at the buttons (which are decoration) with hook and bars, and has a real snug fit. Im *very* pleased with it, and now all the stuff in my bag is safe once more :)

LD

*That* is a brilliant idea! I've got one of those army-surplus canteens myself, with the same kind of smelly old jacket, and have been thinking about what to do with it.

I bet there's enough of these old canteens banging around that you could make these for sale.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Thanks! I'm really enjoying making cute things for baby. I love that nobody else will have the things that we'll have.

We have two family names picked - his great uncle's/grandpa's name for a boy, and his grandma's/my mom's name for a girl. Hopefully baby will cooperate and we'll know which one will be used later this week. :)

I've encountered a few bumps (movement restriction, gestational diabetes) along the way, but I keep reminding myself that it's all in the baby's best interest. I can tough it out for a few months more!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
LizzieMaine said:
*That* is a brilliant idea! I've got one of those army-surplus canteens myself, with the same kind of smelly old jacket, and have been thinking about what to do with it.

I bet there's enough of these old canteens banging around that you could make these for sale.

Hmmm...selling them is a thought....I just have to *find* some canteens as a decent price.

LD

Delia's Gone

New in Town
Lady Day said:

This is brilliant! Coming from another "bottled water is a joke" nut job, haha. I should make some cozies for my stainless steel bottle at work, I bet it would cut down on the number of times I spill water all over my desk from the bottle slipping out of my hand!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters