Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your British suits

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
From what I've observed it seems to have been quite normal for bespoke tailors not to put labels on their clothes, almost as though it's a sign of modesty.
I thought it was customary for bespoke to carry a discreetly placed label containing the tailor's name, the customer's name and the date that the garment was made.

4181674379_9fae1defd5.jpg

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
This is quite and early British Bespoke suit. It was made for a Brigadier General. My thoughts are mid 1920s.

interesting suit Ben, and very rare. i don't think i have a single 20s English garment (apart from a black evening jacket maybe)... wish i did as i'm growing to appreciate the 20s more and more.
how wide are the trouser bottoms ?

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I thought it was customary for bespoke to carry a discreetly placed label containing the tailor's name, the customer's name and the date that the garment was made.

Generally true. However, some very top end tailors did not, nor did some smaller tailors. I have a jacket made for the Marquis of Cholmondeley, it is just hand written. He was one of the wealthiest men in England at the time!

marquis1.jpg

Kindest Regards

Ben

Cobden

Practically Family
Not sure if it will help much but Brigadier General was abolished in the British army in 1922. May only be an indicator, of course, and if the name is followed by retd. it's pretty useless...

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Ok guys here's something I stumbled across last weekend, a 'GUARDS' two piece two button 'tweed' in a wool mix fabric, it's way to big for me but I don't think it's ever been worn , could be old shop stock? it's as new unmarked anywhere the only problem is that one of the side adjuster buttons came off when I was measuring it up.
It is very similar to the other Guards suit I have but this one is possibly later, perhaps 1960's? it has two slanting pockets, two rear vents and no button hole, two inner pockets and a grey unmarked viscose? lining.
The trousers are unpleated and have one rear buttoned and looped rear pocket, no belt loops and no brace buttons (clip on braces perhaps?);
apologies for the photos but I think I'll need a manekin sometime soon!
2nbzzbq.jpg

55qv4z.jpg
107w0n8.jpg
unused and unworn buttonhole
bgpbo7.jpg

Last edited:

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Ok guys here's something I stumbled across last weekend, a 'GUARDS' two piece two button 'tweed' in a wool mix fabric, it's way to big for me but I don't think it's ever been worn , could be old shop stock? it's as new unmarked anywhere the only problem is that one of the side adjuster buttons came off when I was measuring it up.
It is very similar to the other Guards suit I have but this one is possibly later, perhaps 1960's? it has two slanting pockets, two rear vents and no button hole, two inner pockets and a grey unmarked viscose? lining.
The trousers are unpleated and have one rear buttoned and looped rear pocket, no belt loops and no brace buttons (clip on braces perhaps?)
The material, lack of trouser pleats, lack of lapel buttonhole, lining, button waist adjusters and trouser width would lead me to say mid to late 60s. I doubt it would be worn with clip on braces as it's from the era when braces ceased to be worn by the majority of people but belts hadn't become as widely accepted (in the UK) as they are now. The button adjusters seems to have been a diplomatic solution British tailors used in the 50s and 60s to satisfy the modern customers who didn't want to wear braces as well as the traditional customers who didn't want to wear a belt with a suit.

It's a nice suit though. I like the checked materials which seem to have been quite popular in the UK during the 60s.

Last edited:

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
That's very interesting about the pleats. On American suits, flat front trousers were not at all unknown prior to the 1960s. I have at least two (possibly three) 1940s suits with flat-front trousers.

Is the absence of flat-front trousers perhaps a distinctive feature for British suits prior to the 1960s?

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
That's very interesting about the pleats. On American suits, flat front trousers were not at all unknown prior to the 1960s. I have at least two (possibly three) 1940s suits with flat-front trousers.

Is the absence of flat-front trousers perhaps a distinctive feature for British suits prior to the 1960s?
By no means distinctive as flat fronts were around on earlier suits but until the early 1960s two forward pleats were the norm on British suits. Of course like with any rule there are plenty of exceptions but this one goes for most suits I've seen.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Ben, any more pics of that plus-fours suit? I've been on a hunt for one recently (may have an opportunity in February, fingers crossed).

Miss Sis

One Too Many
YEs, I wll, as that does not show the detail very well. I have now an even nicer one, which I will photograph. I believe it to be early 1930s, it is harris tweed with a large over check as was popular at the time.

I will get the photos up soon.

Kindest Regards

Ben

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy