Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your British suits

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I make such a point of the presence/absence because I know that most vintage folks I know consider this wide, flapped, "watch" pocket to be one of the hallmarks of a British vintage (pre- mid 1950s) suit. I realised when going through my trousers a few years ago that the opposite seemed to be true, and that certainly before WWII they are the exception, not the rule. Indeed in the Burton's catalogue hbk has a pic from, waistband pockets of any kind are only mentioned in the formal wear section. There is no mention of them anywhere else in any of the large number of catalogues I have looked through. That catalogue also includes a section on instructions to branch managers, which is quite fascinating.

Interesting, all my British suits are from the 1950s (or later). I have one suit (label's been cut away) with the large flapped pocket.

399892462.jpg

399892457.jpg

A couple have the non-flapped pocket. (also most of the British formal wear I have seem to have the unflapped pocket)
1954 Austin Reed:
400085459.jpg

However, some do not have a pocket:
1955 Anderson and Shepard with no pocket:

399892446.jpg

Late 1950s Burton I just sold:
400085468.jpg

Thank you gentlemen this has been a most enlightening conversation!

Salieri

One of the Regulars
While we may never be able to prove what its original purpose was i don't think that it is useful for coins

It's possible that, like apparently so many things, it's equestrian in origin. It's very difficult to get into a hip pocket on horseback, and jodhpurs seem to be just about the only modern trousers you still find them on.

I'll try to get more and better pictures of this one. It's difficult to photograph as my mannequin is about 15 chest & waist sizes too small. Made for Edmund de Rothschild (yes, that one) in 1962, this 3 piece shooting suit is really of remarkable quality, as one would expect of a Row tailor.

Rothschild1.jpg

Rothschild2.jpg

Rothschild3.jpg

Rothschild4.jpg

Rothschild5.jpg

bk

Last edited:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
No date; maybe 30s? Maybe 50s?

sometimes, it feels like the more British suits you see, the less you know about dating them accurately because you see more and more features that contradict what rules you thought you knew. earlier suits that look later. later suits that look earlier. for example, is there really anything to suggest that this chap's jacket is from 1925 (which it is) and not ten or twenty years later ?

1925_flannels.png

all we can really say with certainty is that British tailoring hardly changed from 1925 (when the wider trouser came in) to 1955. sometimes the best you can do is say "well, it's somewhere between 1930 and 1950"

MB15

New in Town
Hello
Are my eyes fooling me, or did the guy in the photo not even put his belt into the belt loops? Or maybe there aren't even belt loops?
Greetings
Marco

Salieri

One of the Regulars
Not a suit, but used to be one. I got this in quite a shoddy state for £3, but after a little bit of work - Resewing the buttonholes, resetting the buttons (they'd been moved to increase the waist and chest size) and giving it a damn good steaming and pressing and brushing - it's looking in wearable condition.

Selfridge's, probably 40s, interesting weave detail. Would have been a lovely suit once, but then, as with all my actual suits, I would probably never wear it for fear of wearing it out. At least I feel ok about wearing this:

IMG-20120803-00113.jpg

IMG-20120803-00114.jpg

IMG-20120803-00116.jpg

EDIT: Forgot all about this, which has been posted elsewhere, but for people looking for features, this has got them all:

DB Waistcoat
sdc16996.jpg

sdc17016.jpg

Internal button-down waistcoat pocket
sdc17019.jpg

Strange buttonhole in the welt of waistcoat breast pocket (?)
sdc17015.jpg

Mega Trousers
sdc17022.jpg

Two flapped fob pockets
sdc17024.jpg

Last edited:

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Salieri, I've had a thought about the buttonhole on the waistcoat pocket. It may be for a pince-nez or monocle cord with a button on the end. Not everyone wore them looped around their necks, and a double-breasted waistcoat doesn't have a convenient button to attach it to. The chances of finding evidence to back this up are pretty slim, but it's just an idea.

Salieri

One of the Regulars
HBK: I did see a cloth similar to this once before. It was on an Anderson & Sheppard suit that was posted about on here, but the links were only for ebay and have since died. I believe AntonAAK bought it, though.

Nick: That possibility did cross my mind. I thought it must either be something like that or something specific to do with the owner's job that a buttonhole there would be useful for. Really wish the suit wasn't in such a large size as if it fit it would be pretty much my dream black lounge.

AntonAAK

Practically Family
HBK: I did see a cloth similar to this once before. It was on an Anderson & Sheppard suit that was posted about on here, but the links were only for ebay and have since died. I believe AntonAAK bought it, though.

You have a good memory, Salieri! I did indeed buy that suit and the fabric is quite similar to the one pictured here, although mine is slightly closer to a traditional herringbone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner