Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your British suits

As good a place as any to post this:

HepworthsPostcard1.jpg

Mario

I'll Lock Up
:D

No doubt about that. 33-34" length would have been way too long for me anyway. I was just wondering about the rather high placement of the lower button (the button spacing looks pretty wide too). But if the guy was really fat he would have needed a lot of fabric to cover his tummy.

Last edited:

Metatron

One Too Many
I was wondering if there is a possibility of dating these trousers? They are dark charcoal-black wool with side adjustment straps, and the fit is definitely nor modern: wide legs, low crotch, high waist.
IMG_0011-1.jpg

Hopefully this torn label might provide a hint to those in the know, It feels to me like thin card.
IMG_0119-1.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
The Well-Dressed Man (1925)

So it's May 1925, Oxford bags are at the height (and width) of fashion and who do we find writing a column on men's fashions in the Daily Mail?

TheBaron.jpg

I'm sure that disabled immigrant single mothers on benefits - 4 kids to 6 different fathers! - were at the root of all male fashion evils in 1925, then! ;) And the fascists were the answer!!!

[EDIT] that probably makes much more sense to British readers. Awful, hateful newspaper.

Last edited:

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I'm sure that disabled immigrant single mothers on benefits - 4 kids to 6 different fathers! - were at the root of all male fashion evils in 1925, then! ;) And the fascists were the answer!!!

[EDIT] that probably makes much more sense to British readers. Awful, hateful newspaper.

Also the necessity to ban the import of foreign root vegetables!

[video=youtube;JYWRu8uT8z8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYWRu8uT8z8[/video]

Two Types

I'll Lock Up

Twenty years ago I worked with an old fellow who'd been a typesetter on the Daily Mail back in the 1930s. He told me the page was supposed to go out with the headline 'Huge Blackshirt Rally!' Instead, the first edition left the presses reading 'Huge Blackshit Rally!'

Salieri

One of the Regulars

Surely you've forgotten about 'Islamists'... And that Oxford bags probably either cure or cause cancer.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Last edited:
This silk one was made for a British Colonial something-or-other in China or Hong Kong. According to the original owner's family, this would have been in the late 1920s. Who knows if this is true, but that's what they said.

This is wearable thanks to a truly amazing washing job by Miss Sis. When I got it, it seemed like it had been rolled in bitumen or something similar. She managed to get the vast majority of it out, making it wearable.

ColonialSilkSuit1.jpg

ColonialSilkSuit2.jpg

ColonialSilkSuit3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner