Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Compacts . . .

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up

ladyk

Familiar Face
Thanks LizzieMaine, I love it to bits.

Miss Neecerie said:

Thank you so much for these links! They are just fantastic...

xxxx

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I used to have at least one vintage compact that was lost somewhere along the way. I just bought another one today at a flea market. I have all vintage or vintage-styled cosmetics in the handbags I carry when I am reenacting, so I desperately needed an appropriate compact to replace my modern one. I filled it with Estee Lauder Re-Nutriv loose powder I had. Not exactly retro, but it smells nice and works well!

I paid $10 for it at a local flea market. It had the original screen, puff, and paper liner, and all looked unused. It is large, probably 4" across. The only markings are on the puff it reads "Dorset, Fifth Avenue." The compact is gold with a cute little fish motif on the front, with rhinestones for his face. I would guess it dates from the 50s, but I am no compact expert so maybe one of you girls can advise?

The pictures are huge so I will post links:

http://i4.tinypic.com/10xvcxs.jpg

http://i4.tinypic.com/10xvdkl.jpg

Katydid

One of the Regulars
Richard Hudnut

Here's my compact. I've been trying to upload photos to my computer but just can't get my camera software to jive with my new computer. So I had to do a google image search to find something that was similar. It's a small rectangular compact with powder on the left and blush on the right. I found it a couple years ago at my grandmother's church rummage sale. The name inside is Richard Hudnut and it says 14K gold plated. I don't think it was used much since you can still see the name "Richard Hudnut" embossed on the blush. I have no idea what year it might be. The front has a very decorative border and then 3 rectangles, one inside the other. The first (closest to the outside) looks like brushed gold, the one inside that is shiny, and the smallest is brushed. Maybe one of you ladies can help me out.
RHudnut.jpg

hudnut.jpg

It more closely resembles the second picture but it still has the two puffs as you can see in the first.

Etienne

A-List Customer
Katydid, I was reading this thread without my glasses on and was just taking in the general gist of the posts, when I came to that name--Richard Hudnut--and really couldn't make out the last name. Yet, oddly, I filled in the blanks and said "Hudnut". I don't know why that name is so familiar to me or why I even knew it at all...! But I vaguely THINK I remember a line of cosmetics by that name WAY back when I was a kid (maybe the 1950's).

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Compact Purse Combo

This one is by Elgin American.

IMG_0634.jpg

This is the compact in its cloth purse handle case. The back side of the cloth case has a small pocket and a slot that holds a comb for those out on the town touch ups to hairstyle.

IMG_0635.jpg

IMG_0636.jpg

When I bought this, it was absolutely perfect inside, never been used at all. I love the gazelle pattern and want more items in it.

IMG_0637.jpg

The mirror hinges forward to reveal a small compartment just the right size for ID and credit card.

IMG_0639.jpg

I have put besame powder in the powder compartment and well trained eyes will spot that the lipstick is also a besame, which fits in the case right where the orignal one did (I have the original lipstick case safely in storage)

Ok...thats number one...and all for today

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
One of my favorites

Is this Elgin American Compact. I just adore the unusual shape and the art deco lines of it.

IMG_0671.jpg

It needs a good cleaning out as you can see that the rouge is still there and has stained the area around it.

IMG_0672.jpg

But since I pieces to use them, and not strictly as collection items, I don't mind imperfections in my compacts.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
WOW. That is brilliant. Very beautiful. And it's in one of my favorite colors, which I lovingly refer to as "Art Deco Green" :D

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Thanks...I am slowly cleaning the rouge out..but its hardened...so its like stucco in there.

Funny thing is that I saw another two on ebay recently, but one was unenameled and looked really horrid with the brass showing all over. I have a feeling it was an unfinished piece from some factory corner or something.
The other one was not in as nice condition on the outside as this one.

I keep hoping that maybe I will find it in a different color, which would be cool to grab as well.

Rosie

One Too Many
Oh ladies, I can't take it, you're going to give me a fit with all of those beautiful things. Just wondering, did regular compacts look like this years ago? Like, could you go just to any store and buy makeup in a gorgeous compact? I'm upset that makeup now a days comes in goofy plastic containers :(

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Rosie said:
Oh ladies, I can't take it, you're going to give me a fit with all of those beautiful things. Just wondering, did regular compacts look like this years ago? Like, could you go just to any store and buy makeup in a gorgeous compact? I'm upset that makeup now a days comes in goofy plastic containers :(

Oh yes, regular compacts did look much nicer years ago. There are so many different levels of compacts from past eras, that sometimes placing anything but the most collectable known brands is hard.

They were a fashion accessory. Since they were refillable, they were not a throw away item generally, but a woman might get them as gifts for special occaisions.

This is one of the things that got me started on compacts. The sheer variety of designs, styles etc. You tell me what you like or are interested in, hobby wise...and if you give me enough different options and a bit of time, I can find you a compact that suits you in an individual mannner. You play the French Horn, you say! Well I have seen compacts with little french horns, Ballarina? you are covered as well. Like a certain colour or flower and its even easier.....

Compacts are little tiny pieces of customized artwork, portable and glamourous. They represent all that is feminine and beautiful and in todays collectable marketplace, if you are willing to accept 'usable but not pristine' condition, you can get a vintage compact for as cheap as 5-10 on the ebay.....

And seriously, the offer is there if any of you want me to forward links of compacts you might be interested in...send me things you like.....

Rosie

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
Oh yes, regular compacts did look much nicer years ago. There are so many different levels of compacts from past eras, that sometimes placing anything but the most collectable known brands is hard.

They were a fashion accessory. Since they were refillable, they were not a throw away item generally, but a woman might get them as gifts for special occaisions.

This is one of the things that got me started on compacts. The sheer variety of designs, styles etc. You tell me what you like or are interested in, hobby wise...and if you give me enough different options and a bit of time, I can find you a compact that suits you in an individual mannner. You play the French Horn, you say! Well I have seen compacts with little french horns, Ballarina? you are covered as well. Like a certain colour or flower and its even easier.....

Compacts are little tiny pieces of customized artwork, portable and glamourous. They represent all that is feminine and beautiful and in todays collectable marketplace, if you are willing to accept 'usable but not pristine' condition, you can get a vintage compact for as cheap as 5-10 on the ebay.....

And seriously, the offer is there if any of you want me to forward links of compacts you might be interested in...send me things you like.....

Wow, thanks Miss Neecerie, I was on ebay last night checking out their offerings. I never thought of compacts until I checked out this thread. And, if you'd like to send me those links, theat would be great. Thanks again.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Camera Compact

This one is a style thats supposed to resemble a camera...you press the shutter button to open it for use.

IMG_0668.jpg

Its a very lovely finish outside. The mirror inside has a few age spots, but thats to be expected.

IMG_0670.jpg

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
last one for now...

This one is just a compact....not pretending to be anything else. But its got the most lovely design, and I collect and adore peacocks.

IMG_0664.jpg

The mirror is bevelled which is such a nice touch that you would never see today.

IMG_0666.jpg

Even the back has detailing

IMG_0667.jpg

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Rosie said:
Those are great, I love the camera, so cute! Thanks to all of you, I am now the proud new owner of this little cutie:
c8_1_sbl.JPG

http://i4.ebayimg.com/01/i/07/47/35/1d_1_sbl.JPG

I think it is a good beginner, as I figure out more about them and what I really like. Thanks ladies!

Ohhh thats a Stratton, I think...based on the back style....Very lovely indeed.

*cackles in an evil manner* I have lured another one! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy