Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Compacts . . .

retromom147

One of the Regulars
Oooh ladies you have gotten me sooooooo hooked! Now I need to convince my husband to get the one I want for my birthday which is Sunday and the other one I want for Christmas....Ooooh yay!

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/timeinabottle/item/12C270
Does anyone have a Trio-ette compact? I had a benefit one (which was a copy) but I broke then lost it. I really want one but the originals are pricey and Benefit doesn't make them anymore. I also had a vintage comapct from the 40's or 50's that a freind gave me for Christmas. I lost that also. :(

Where do you ladies have the most luck finding them? Would an Antique Furniture store carry them? I've had no luck in clothing stores.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I get my compacts of ebay. I do occasionally run into one in an antique mall or flea market..but ebay pricing tends to be better.

Yea...anything 'collectable' like a Trio-ette tends to run high. The serious (not using types) collectors get them and pay that much.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Thanks. I've noticed just in the last few hours that ebay is more reasonable then the online stores. I've bid on a pretty one that looks usable.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
yes...if you want ones you can -use-...the bay is the way to go.

There are usually at least 15 pages of 'vintage compacts' on there....mostly on the cheap but usable side.

You can get a -lot- auction of 10 or so compacts for under 20 bucks at points...and guarantee that most of them are not too damaged to use.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
1de5_1_b.JPG

I'll post more pics when I receive it. I'm sure this is the beginning of an obssesion.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Miss Neecerie said:
oooh thats lovely...

it looks like it has a chain handle?
Yes. It looks kind of like a pocket watch. I may have some questions about care and cleaning once I receive it. Per the description it is in useable shape.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I made a felt pouch for my compact and have started on a velvet and satin one. I e-mailed Benefit about the Trio-ette hoping maybe they had some old ones in stock. The didn't but at least I tried.

Lola Getz

One of the Regulars
deadpandiva, that's a beauty! I've been looking for a nice compact but so far, no luck.

goldfish, think of all the money you'll save not having an obsession! :)

Lilredrooster

Familiar Face
help

ok ladies i need some help/advice, my husband made me this cute little "compact" for Christmas and i was wondering if any one here would ever want to buy one, he had a lot of fun making it and thinks he could sell them but im not sure, they don’t open up but one side has a mirror and the other side has glass but under the glass he put a wedding picture(you could put just about anything under the glass) he then made a little velvet pouch for it to go into.
it's really cute and could be any size but i don’t know if any out would buy it because it does not flip open but the appeal would be that it could be customized with pictures or colors and for this sake could be made verry retro looking.
any impute would be helpful, if you would buy it how much do you think would be a good price to pay for something like that?

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I think something like that would do well on ebay or at craft shows. Even stores that do consignment. I can think of two or three here in Minneapolis that would carry something like that. I'd need to see a picture but I have purchased several modern mirror compacts in the past including the kind that don't flip up. Your husband should consider the cost in making them as i think the mark up is uasually at least cost x 3. Also if he is looking at putting them in stores they may want up to 50% which effects the price.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab

i_am_the_scruff

A-List Customer
This is a make up compact by Elizabeth Arden. I got it at a car boot sale and the sticker on the back says it's 1930s. I think I was about 10 or so when I picked it up. On the back of the compact it says "Invisibleveil. Shade 51. Elizabeth Arden, London" and I think the Invisibleveil line is still on sale nowadays but I'm not sure. As you can see it's still full of makeup, and the smell of it! Nostaligia at it's finest. The puff is still there - sort of. The puff itself has come away from the top part of it.. if that makes sense. Also, the pressed makeup itself comes out of the compact (but is still in it's little metal.. thing :eusa_doh: ). The mirror is also still perfect.

vintage006.jpg

vintage008.jpg

vintage009.jpg

This compact is by Cara Nome. I'm not familiar with her. On the back it says "Medium rouge" on a sticker, and the back of the actual compact says "Cara Nome. Langlois, Boston Los Angeles". I got this in September at a antique and bric a brac shop in Kansas.

Underneath the rouge there is another compartment when you flip open the cover as you can see, but even though the puff is there, there's no makeup. It's looks pretty clean though so maybe there was never make up in there. Perhaps you bought it empty so that you could put whatever shade you like in there. I don't know.

vintage010.jpg

vintage011.jpg

vintage012.jpg

vintage013.jpg
vintage014.jpg

vintage015.jpg

Pina Bridgette

One of the Regulars
I hope this is not breaking the rules but put this is the "Show us what you wish you could afford" category.

There is a terribly cute, whimsical Schiaparelli/Dalí rotary phone dial compact that just popped up in my email from ebay. It's not in sparkling condition but I think the age on it is wonderful.

enjoy!

Blondie

Practically Family
Oh my, that compact is to die for Pina !
I should never have looked, i sooooooooooo want it, it's AMAZING.

R

Red_Lipstick

Here you have, Miss Neecerie:

case1jf2.jpg

carryall2li7.jpg

carryall1sw3.jpg

I've also added a photo of the golden leather case :)
I can't wait for it to arrive!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou