Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your dance pics and vids

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Trickeration said:
I took a lesson or two in basic East Coast Swing, and one in basic Lindy Hop.

For you beginners, don't worry. It's not hard to learn. Just start with the basics and have fun with it. Trix :)

Sorry to be naive...

...but what is the differnce between East Coast and West Coast swing? Something to do with beats is it?

Also, I thought Swing was Lindy, no...?

:eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Both east coast swing and west coast swing are rooted in the Lindy hop (which itself is descended from the charleston). The Lindy hop is an incredibly inventive African American danceform and in the early days was rather wild and risque. East coast swing is basically a rubric of simpler lindy hop steps that are easier to pick up by anybody. I would argue that once you've broken out of steps you can complete in 6 beat (like basic underarm turns and passes) and gotten into the more tricky 8 count stuff (swingouts for example) you've moved from east coast to lindy-land. Alot of dance instructors nowadays will teach east coast as their beginners class, and introduce the lindy hop at the intermediate level.

In the 40's a white dancer named Dean Collins moved to LA to hit it big in the movies and brought the lindy hop with him. However, Collins personal dance style was more upright with smoother motion (Lindy without the "hop"). Alot of dancers copied his style and as time progressed and musical taste changed, west coast swing was born. Typically west cost swing is danced to R'n'B and blues and features alot of fancy back and forth passes and whips in a straight slot.

Tin Pan Sally

Mr. 'H' said:
..but what is the differnce between East Coast and West Coast swing? Something to do with beats is it?Also, I thought Swing was Lindy, no...?

I’m an amateur, but…
Lindy Hop is an 8 count version of swing. It's the one with that sexy swivel step and the aerials. East Coast is just the simple 6 count triple step, triple step, rock step. West Coast is slatted more like dancing along a plank.
Plus there is balboa and collegiate shag (which came out of fox trot). Then there is ballroom jive, which is just watered down Lindy. You can work variations of charleston, jazz, etc into it too. I've seen better dancers incorporate solo/line dances like Big Apple, Shim Sham, Black Bottom. Most people just combine whatever moves they know. Anything goes, as Cole Porter said.
It pretty much started in Harlem, USA in the 20s.

Candy

New in Town
Miss Neecerie said:
Yes..Luckily Miss Queenie steered me to a place that has lessons and its not a couples thing. I start on May 2nd...and I am terrified...

How did the lesson go?? I literally cried at my first lesson, I was so overwhelmed, but I'm glad I stuck with it, it's become one of the best things in my life.

REDKNIGHT1775

New in Town
I tried dancing "swing" a couple of times with the wife. Didn't get too far, the wife would start laughing uncontrollable when I throw her over the shoulder and all about! She likes it but she just can’t stop laughing… I’ll leave it to the people that make it look good, nice video clips, fun to watch.:D

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Candy said:
How did the lesson go?? I literally cried at my first lesson, I was so overwhelmed, but I'm glad I stuck with it, it's become one of the best things in my life.

It went -ok-....have basic step learned...although I feel really awkward at it...and awkward at feeling where in the heck the beat of the music is in relation to what I am doing....

We will see if i can do this or not...hehe

Powerhouse

One of the Regulars
Hello all...

I'm new to this Fedora lounge thing. It's Killer! I can't believe I didn't find it earlier. Well I guess that's because I don't use the internet or computer much for anything except work. ANYWAY... Great shorts and snapshots! I have been wearing my soles down for close to ten years now. I have never made it out the Camp Hollywood event yet. Surprising I know. I plan to go this year. Anyone else planning on showin'? I live on New York's other Island... Long Island. Cali sounds like a real blast. Yowza! What a swell site this is! Ciao.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Powerhouse said:
I'm new to this Fedora lounge thing. It's Killer! I can't believe I didn't find it earlier. Well I guess that's because I don't use the internet or computer much for anything except work. ANYWAY... Great shorts and snapshots! I have been wearing my soles down for close to ten years now. I have never made it out the Camp Hollywood event yet. Surprising I know. I plan to go this year. Anyone else planning on showin'? I live on New York's other Island... Long Island. Cali sounds like a real blast. Yowza! What a swell site this is! Ciao.

Well, welcome to the Lounge and please let me say I dig your Avatar! Say, what's that you're sitting in there? Is it a Dusy? I'm planning on going to Camp Hollywood so; it would be great to meet another member! There will be a few members there, we'll see what happens.

Welcome to the lounge and enjoy!

=WR=

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I haven't been to camp Hollywood since it was in Hollywood. We have to set up something for the Lounge crowd.

Also, in general... try to keep the pics and vids in this thread to personal ones and not historical or pro dancers that are not connected to you. I want to see dance pics of Loungers.

Powerhouse

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the welcome fellas.

The automobile i'm sitting in is a friend's 30 something mg. Don't have many pictures of myself... I'm not much for snapshots. Not that I mind them. I don't have any photos from the last few years... they were... well, never mind. I gotta get some shots of my cars for that automobile thread. I don't want to write to much on a different topic in here but, my newest set of wide whitewalls are on a 1939 Plymouth 2-door Touring Sedan. As for C.H. I will be there and probably with a small entourage. Well, maybe. A friend of mine has been telling me about it for years and wants to go back. What dance styles do you prefer in your lindy? I have my own mix... and it's unteachable. It just comes from the music... and definately the fact that there is no polyester in my blood. Ha ha ha. Ciao.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Powerhouse said:
I don't want to write to much on a different topic in here but, my newest set of wide whitewalls are on a 1939 Plymouth 2-door Touring Sedan.

I’m drooling right now!!! Good taste my friend! Plymouth all the way!!! Yes, post some photos of her in one of the “Vintage car threads” us Plymouth guys need to stick together! ’39 is one of my favorite years of Plymouth!!! Go P-9!!!

Ok, back to jitterbugging! My style is more Hollywood Smooth lindy then anything else, I also just watch old movies and take parts of styles from some of the great jitterbugs of the 40’s such as Dean Collins, Don Gallagher and Author Walsh. Love watching those guys!!! I’m all about dressing and looking like a dancer from the 40’s!

=WR=

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
This is the only one of us I can find...
and it's very much the end of the evening and we'd been dancing non-stop for hours,you can completely tell that we are both breathing heavy here. Sometimes I'mnot sure if that makes it one of my faves or one of my least faves.

4265c205afc90.jpg

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
MC-lol It does,how funny!

Lolita-I wouldn't consider myself that great of a dancer.
Never practice,hardly take any classes,sloppy footwork,pretty much do the same thing over and over.
We don't even really have a style,most people think we're hollywood style,but other than watching a few tapes we never practiced it.
But,we have a good time.
If we go out one night and our dancing is very poor instead of getting frustrated we just start trying to dance even worse. Sort of a "You thought that looked bad,watch this."
Basically,we never take ourselves too seriously and I think that's the key.
Just have fun.

I'd love to see your show!

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Ruby... I find that some of the best dancers are the ones who do it for fun and not to show off. :)

If you would like, I will PM you a link to a short clip of one of my acts. I will say that because it is Burlesque I am wearing pasties. I do twirl them at the end, but you can barely see that because of the lighting. Just let me know if you want the link. :)

rubyredlocks said:
MC-lol It does,how funny!

Lolita-I wouldn't consider myself that great of a dancer.
Never practice,hardly take any classes,sloppy footwork,pretty much do the same thing over and over.
We don't even really have a style,most people think we're hollywood style,but other than watching a few tapes we never practiced it.
But,we have a good time.
If we go out one night and our dancing is very poor instead of getting frustrated we just start trying to dance even worse. Sort of a "You thought that looked bad,watch this."
Basically,we never take ourselves too seriously and I think that's the key.
Just have fun.

I'd love to see your show!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW