Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your gloves!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
While I was taking some pics of my spare room today, I figured I might as well snap a few of some of my favourite pairs of gloves! I have a thing for gloves with decoration.. expecially gauntlet style, so here's some of my favourites.
glove01.jpg

These little cuties are embroidered at the hem and on the top of the hand
glove02.jpg

I love the scallops on these. This is my newest pair.
glove03.jpg

Courtesy of Vanessa (thank you!) I got this pair with the little buttons all the way up.
glove04.jpg

This was my first pair of gloves when I was collecting, back when you could find things like these in antique stores for cheap!
glove05.jpg

I think these are my favorites of my collection. They are all leather in different shades. They kind of remind me of a pinecone! They have damage to the fingertips, but they're just so lovely with the different colors and all those little french knots on the top.
Let's see yours!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Wow!!!! Those are incredible!!!

When we visited Buenos Aires, my wife and I checked out the San Telmo flea market. Veronica bought two pairs of beautiful kidskin gloves, one mocha, one black -- the long kind, with fine knuckle stitching and ball buttons at the wrists. Since Veronica has long, slim fingers, vintage gloves fit her well.

In Florence, Italy, we saw absolutely beautiful new gloves being sold there. Turns out that Florence is a center for glovemaking.

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Wow!!!

Lauren those are just incredibly beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing them. I especially like the lavendar scallopped pair.

You have quite a collection.

Honey Doll

Rosie

One Too Many
Those are lovely Lauren! You always find the greatest things. Since I've only recently begun wearing gloves daily, mine aren't anything to write home about but, here are some I like.

These are my daily gloves, I wear these just for everyday.

IMG_29.jpg

These are my night time black gloves, satin and with beautiful cut outs.

IMG_31.jpg

These are my special ocassion white gloves. I've worn them only twice. They are very pretty, and so soft, I'm afraid to ruin them.

IMG_30.jpg

These are my favorites so far. They're kid skin and embroidered.

IMG_32.jpg

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Oooohh!!! Pretty Rosie! I LOVE the black ones and the last ones that are embroidered! And thanks for the compliments on my gloves :)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
ok, with being on a pretty desperate search for gloves myself, where is some good places to look for them? What I'm needing are at least two opera gloves, and I'm looking/wanting to start a collection of the kind that go to the wrist.

Rosie

One Too Many
The best place I've found gloves so far has been the bay. Just figure out your glove size and ask the seller to measure the gloves across the palm. The size on the gloves aren't always the actual glove size. Its a good place to jump start your collection because you can often buy gloves in lots. Modern gloves, unless kid or leather aren't constructed the same way as vintage gloves. Modern ones, in my opinion, often have this cheap-iness to them and it's hard to find beauty in gloves because ladies don't wear them very often any longer.

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
Here are most of mine. :eek: I have them all over the place, in just about every purse, but these are the nicer ones. The dark brown and black ones are split kid and are amazingly soft. Most of my gloves came from an elderly relative that died a couple years back at age 95- she was a spinster and spent most of her money on nice clothes.

100_1606.jpg

These are rather interesting. On the outside they are pretty nice, probably from the early 30's (note the phone # and exchange on the box).

100_1607.jpg

But the inside has its own story! I am guessing these numbers (all written with fountain pen) are phone numbers my relative collected at parties. My grandmother (the same age and same social circle) didn't have any idea what else they could be. Anyone here want to venture a guess?

100_1610.jpg

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Oh, phone numbers from the fellas, how cool!

And not that the weather is getting cool, its glove time for me! Yay! Im so happy about that. I wont look like a freak to passers by in my cloves and hats.
Ill post pics of my boring gloves. Right now my collection consists of functional gloves more than decorative ones. But hey!

LD

St. Louis

Practically Family
I agree with Mr. Deckard. Until a couple of months ago, that would have been true of me, but I've reformed. I challenged myself to wear gloves every time I leave the house--unless I'm taking out the trash. Gloves make me feel so smart and pulled-together.

I have one question about colors, though. I've always been under the impression that gloves are supposed to match your suit, coat, handbag, etc. Yet I've also seen plenty of images of pale or white gloves with dark suits. I'm not talking about summer suits or dresses, but regular street wear.

I have a black 1939 sealskin coat and another black mid-30s coat, as well as a navy 1940s princess-cut coat. What color gloves should I wear, besides black and navy respectively? Sometimes I feel a bit too funereal in black coat, gloves, shoes, and bag. What color gloves do you all wear?

Last edited:

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I have usually tie my glove colour to a colour in my dress or suit pieces, or pick compatible contrast coloured gloves to the outfit- but not to match a coat. For example, I have a favourite pink 40s rayon print dress that the print is grass green, white and navy blue. I wear navy gloves. Oh, and I never match a handbag to coat or shoes, or gloves. With the navy dress with the cream coloured print, I choose off-white gloves.

I agree with Mr. Deckard. Until a couple of months ago, that would have been true of me, but I've reformed. I challenged myself to wear gloves every time I leave the house--unless I'm taking out the trash. Gloves make me feel so smart and pulled-together.

I have one question about colors, though. I've always been under the impression that gloves are supposed to match your suit, coat, handbag, etc. Yet I've also seen plenty of images of pale or white gloves with dark suits. I'm not talking about summer suits or dresses, but regular street wear.

I have a black 1939 sealskin coat and another black mid-30s coat, as well as a navy 1940s princess-cut coat. What color gloves should I wear, besides black and navy respectively? Sometimes I feel a bit too funereal in black coat, gloves, shoes, and bag. What color gloves do you all wear?

St. Louis

Practically Family
Thanks, Chanteuse. Here's a 1930s image of a lady in a dark suit wearing pale gloves:

And here are some very matchy 1940s gloves:

A close look at the 1940s image shows the ladies wearing gloves that match their hats or purses (or both) -- and not their coats or dresses -- which leaves me a little confused ...

Technically my question was about the vintage of historic way of wearing gloves, rather than a more abstract style question. That is, following modern fashion trends I would be inclined wear gloves that contrast, rather than match, because I think that's more of a modern style. Matchy-matchy is pretty much considered dowdy right now. But if I wanted to do an authentic late 1930s look, then exactly what am I trying to match? And would pale (white?) gloves be considered dressier or more formal?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy