Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

KilroyCD

One Too Many
warbird said:
To me the 1911 is the most aesthetically beautiful, if you can call a pistol that, auto loading pistol in the world. A hundred years later it still has great lines, is a great size and feels great in the hand. I will concede to the folks that don't like the big more so-called modern double stacks, the 1911 single feels better.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and although I don't dispute that the M1911 is one of history's all-time classic designs, I feel that that P-08 Luger is more aesthetically appealing.

warbird said:
I will concede to the folks that don't like the big more so-called modern double stacks, the 1911 single feels better.
It's not that I dislike doublestacks, but that they dislike me, at least in what the fallen Grand Master Cooper (aka St. Jeff, patron saint of 1911istas) called "any caliber of significance". If they worked for me, I'd ditch the single-stack 1911s for Para-type doublestacks in a heartbeat...

warbird

One Too Many
Diamondback said:
It's not that I dislike doublestacks, but that they dislike me, at least in what the fallen Grand Master Cooper (aka St. Jeff, patron saint of 1911istas) called "any caliber of significance". If they worked for me, I'd ditch the single-stack 1911s for Para-type doublestacks in a heartbeat...

I have large hands, so most auto loaders fit me fine. The problem I have is finding smaller frame pistols which feel comfortable. My Glock 27 without the extension grip on the mag would not fit well at all. With it, it fits great.

Rooster

Practically Family
I have the opposite problem, small hands. I gravitate to the smaller calibered Colt or euro autos, or a revolver like a colt detective. The 1911 is a pretty big grip for me, especially one handed rapid fire. I gotta hang on with both hands or I'll disarm myself!:eusa_doh: lol

Gatsby84 said:
I'm not wanting to sound ignorant by saying all Springfield 1911's aren't accurate out of the box (aside from machining), so I won't, I'll just say that mine wasn't all too accurate on its own. I had to move the rear sight far to the left for it to be able to shoot where I was pointing the sights. -Allen
My Taurus PT92 is the same, sights is way over to one side for the sights to align with the actual bullet placement. However once zeroed it is pretty much on target for nearly all the ammo i put thru it.

Rooster said:
I have the opposite problem, small hands. I gravitate to the smaller calibered Colt or euro autos, or a revolver like a colt detective. The 1911 is a pretty big grip for me, especially one handed rapid fire. I gotta hang on with both hands or I'll disarm myself!:eusa_doh: lol

I think it is Chip McCormick that makes ultra-slim wood grips for the 1911.

J.S.Udontknowme

A-List Customer
I bought my first Colt government model in 1975 when I turned 21 and bought another one a few months later. The barrels were being throated at the factory then. I've never had less than two of them since and I've never had one that was unreliable. The only problems I had were dented brass that was sometimes hard to resize. Colt lowered the ejection port on the later models and that took care of the dented brass. I did put larger sights on the two that I have now. All of my Colts have been .45's except for a Delta Elite 10mm and a .38 super government model. I didn't keep the 10 and .38 too long and traded them. I have a few double action autos, but I prefer the Colts.
I don't have a Glock, but I've shot several of them, I like them and will probably buy one some day.

warbird

One Too Many
The .38 super has always been very popular for bullseye shooters. Like you I was never a big fan of the round. However I can see why they like them.

warbird

One Too Many
My collection of 9mm includes a Sig 228, Italian Beretta, CZ75, P38, Luger, H&K and maybe a couple I am forgetting. I like the 9mm round. If I it to do again I think maybe I'd prefer my Glock 27 to be a 26, 9mm.

I also like the .380, which I have in a ppk ad an H & K in the same design as a ppk. Now in between the .380 and 9mm I have a couple of FEG Makarovs. They are future projects. The mak is really rough, even the feg and a stazi which were among the better ones out there. I have shot a couple which were pretty decent though. But, still not as nice as the ppk or many of the other makes in that general design.

J.S.Udontknowme

A-List Customer
warbird said:
The .38 super has always been very popular for bullseye shooters. Like you I was never a big fan of the round. However I can see why they like them.

I liked the 10 and the .38, I just didn't want to go through the trouble of getting set up to reload two more calibers. I should have kept the Delta Elite.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
warbird said:
My collection of 9mm includes a Sig 228, Italian Beretta, CZ75, P38, Luger, H&K and maybe a couple I am forgetting. I like the 9mm round. If I it to do again I think maybe I'd prefer my Glock 27 to be a 26, 9mm.

I also like the .380, which I have in a ppk ad an H & K in the same design as a ppk. Now in between the .380 and 9mm I have a couple of FEG Makarovs. They are future projects. The mak is really rough, even the feg and a stazi which were among the better ones out there. I have shot a couple which were pretty decent though. But, still not as nice as the ppk or many of the other makes in that general design.
My collection of 9mms is a bit smaller than yours, MAB PA-15, Taurus PT 99, Mauser C96 "Broomhandle" and the P-08 Luger. I wouldn't mind having a PPK in .380 sometime, maybe when finances allow for a little extra "mad money".

warbird

One Too Many
J.S.Udontknowme said:
I liked the 10 and the .38, I just didn't want to go through the trouble of getting set up to reload two more calibers. I should have kept the Delta Elite.

My experience with the Delta was pretty slight. From what I recall, it had a pretty good kick. I never really got into the 10mm craze.

Quick lesson for those non-gunnies reading this thread out of an interest in firearms. What is referred to as the 9mm is actually a 9 X 19, that is 9mm diameter and 19mm case length. It is popularly called the 9mm parabellum or luger. Also a 9mm is the .380, which is a 9x17. The Makarv round is a 9x18. There's also a 9x21 which has never been real popular outside of the competition world. I have one 9x21, which is a Tangfolio Witness, an Italian firearm in the style of a CZ 75. It is also barreled in 9x19 interchangeably. It's cousins in the same caliber are the .38 S&W, .38 super, .38 auto and the .357 magnum.

The 10mm and .40 are also both the same caliber, their difference being in case lengths.

Redundant to most of you, but for the interested I thought I would spell it out so they would have a better understanding of what is being talked about. If I have forgotten anything please feel free to add.

Otium

New in Town
First Post

Sorry, no pictures at this point, but this is my first post and everything is packed away.

I have a 30-30 Marlin my grandfather got off an old White Russian he knew in Canada, Remington 12 gauge, Browning .22 Auto (little beauty from Japan), and a Walther P99. The Walther is my first and last polymer handgun and, as with lots of German stuff, the tolerances are just too tight so it will have to visit the gunsmith soon. Had a Beretta .32 and got rid of that quickly when I realized with only 500 rounds it was falling apart. Also had a .380 PPK and wasn't willing to deal with the recoil.

A pocket pistol is in the works, but I'm still doing the homework on what I would like. Some people like "mouseguns" and some don't. For me it is a simply matter of not wanting to get an entire wardrobe assembled and tailored to fit a handgun, assuming I every actually bothered to get a carry permit.

As is, a tuxedo is higher on the need list than another gun I'll rarely shoot. That wouldn't stop me from buying a Luger like the one shown previously in this thread, it really is a beauty!

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Howdy Otium! Welcome to the party! This thread gets more and more interesting with personal experience content. Great!

I have simply felt that whatever someone was competent and confident with, that is the firearm they should be shooting regardless of caliber.

A LOT of women are now into pistol shooting and that has changed things. While I am a supporter of the .45 caliber round and a less-than-magnum-loaded .44 as the best stoppers I must realize that they aren't for everyone.

Women that don't have the wrist, forearm and bicept strength to cycle semi-autos and keep the mechanism moving smoothly when shooting should learn to handle whatever they can be competent and confident with. If that is a .38 and not a .357 it's ok. If that's a .25 cal instead of a .40 fine. If you can hit with a certain pistol and know you can, your mindset in any situation is better.

Goes for men as well. If a .380 is best for you in overall circumstances go with it. If needed for protection it's better than a baseball bat.

Whatever you choose as your "nitestand gun"- the singluar weapon you pick up to defend your family with if danger arose- just be practiced with it.

For all the rest it's a fun smorgasborg of calibers, sizes, mechanisms, finishes, visual and tactile appeal. A lot of the reason I enjoy firearms is the same reason I enjoy automobilia. There's a vast variation in mechanics and visual appeal in both. In both there exist vintage as well as modern examples to draw interest from many quarters.

Above all I must implore those who are afraid of, or are uncomfortable around firearms to do what we teach kids if they find one- don't touch, get an adult.
It's everyone's choice, at least in the US, to own or not own a firearm. You shouldn't feel compelled to own one. If you do own one you need to do more with handling, safety and familiarity than dropping it in a drawer after purchase and thinking you are safe.
th_violent018.gif

warbird

One Too Many
carebear said:
I've been carrying 1911's for almost 20 years now, about 16 of those daily carry.

Mostly my Series 80 LW Commander. I had a fluff and buff done a week or so after I bought it, which I do to every gun I plan to carry, no matter the action type or manufacturer, but it hasn't been "heavily modified" nor has it needed it.

Reliability has never been an issue from day one, when I took it to the range and put 200 rounds of Federal Hydra-Shock (the old angular ogive) through it (while carrying my perfectly reliable Series 70 full size).

I eventually added a beavertail and a set of Novaks, and have had some checkering done, but that's because I like fooling with stuff (my biggest problem with the plastic fantastic BTW).

"Functional" and attractive/modifiable are in no way contradictory or mutually exclusive.

Plastic hats would keep the rain and snow off better and would never wear out, but they would lack style and customizability.

I have no problem with people preferring more "modern" designs (though that's a misnomer since we've had polymer guns since the '60s and striker-fired is nothing new either). I do get tired of that preference being falsely justified with the tired "newer is better/more reliable/more functional" claptrap.

But I'm neither bitter nor opinionated. :D

CB my problem with the seres 80 has to do with the changes in the safety system and the pin block. I consider it more a hindrance than a help. But that's just me. I should not ave said they suck, just they are not what I think is best for a carry piece. Also when I speak of out of the box, I should have prefaced that with a stock out of the box. Today you can buy out of the box 1911 with lots of mods already made. But you pay for it one way or the other. Me, I'd prefer to get the side and frame which best matches my needs, then putting the grip safety, ambi safety, trigger etc which I want.

Do you prefer to carry the commander size, do you notice a lot of difference? My experience with the Commander is limited. I might look at it in the future.

warbird

One Too Many
I have a full time career job and recently changed organizations where I talk guns all day. Anyway I have also had for quite a while a part time gig working for a friend of mine who owns a private investigation firm. In Tennessee we serve warrants on people when the sheriffs dept's are too understaffed or dont want to do so. I spend a lot of my time doing that kind of work. Its good money.

Last week I missed a drive by in a neighborhood by about 5 minutes. There's an increasing gang presence in town: black, latino and laosian gangs in particular. Last night I was looking for a guy and went to a house where I was told he was. I aways leave my car running and the door partially open. I was about halfway to the house wen I heard shots ring out. It was down the street. But I was pleased that my instincts kicked in and I was drawn and crouched quickly. After so many uneventful nights the last couple of weeks has reminded me of why I need to be prepared.

I am trying to get my wife to practice more as well. She's a former competitive shooter, the daughter of a retired marine sniper trainer, NYPD and exec protection bodyguard ( yeah I better not piss her off as I'm not safe within a thousand yards of her). But she has never really liked pistols. She is an attorney and deals fairly regularly with some not so nice people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace