Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

Doublegun

Practically Family
Sedgley actually started making sporterized rifles out of surplus Springfield 1903 actions before Griffin & Howe but Griffin and Howe Rifles were of much higher quality resulting in Sedgley's rifles to be called a "poor man's Griffin & Howe." My Sedgley is on the left and my early G&H on the right. Both of these rifles were built in the day when accuracy dependent on practice time at the range, not scopes. Since I started shooting rifles with open sights and peep sights my marksmanship has improved dramatically and I have a great deal more confidence in my own ability.

317db8ef.jpg

Oldsarge

One Too Many
I am a serious believer in iron sights. Time and gravity have plaid hob with my ability to use the V notch effectively but a good peep is a dream come true. I have both a .318 WR by W.W. Greener and a .404 Jeffery by BSA so equipped (post production) and have taken several head of game with each. I am hoping to take the .318 to Alaska in April/May '13 for black bear. I am quite confident with the peep out to 200 yards.

Renault

One Too Many
Peepsights rule!!!!!!!! Love 'em.

I say again. Some extremely nice iron being posted here! Yesterday 4 guns walked in. A Rem 512, Win Model12, Win Model 94 "Eastern" Carbine (both late 50' guns), and an Eddystone sporter. The 512, Model 12, and 94 all appear to be unfired!!!!!! The 512 (mfg June 1960) came home with me!!!!!!

Sarge if I get a chance this weekend I'll make you another "Outdoor Life" cover photo with that 512 and another rifle! Watch for post!

Renault

Doublegun

Practically Family
Finally got out to the range with the Sedgley. I need to tweak it a little but not much. I wasn't very prepared so I just put the rifle across my folded coat and started shooting. 1" groups at 50-yards, 1"-inch high. Not bad for the first time I shot the rifle - I think I'll keep it. A good scope will give you 15-minutes more day light in the AM and 15-more in the PM but for shots under 100-yards that's about all the advantage you get and that's offset by decreased balance and handling.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Picked up some solid guns in a trade today:
First a mud puppy Taurus 38, needs some tlc.....
005-3.jpg

Next an ex police Remington 870 for "social work"
003-4.jpg

and finally, the one I really wanted in the swap......a Winchester Model 12 in 16 Gauge!This one is still very tight and altough has honest wear from lots of use was obviously very well cared for.
002-3.jpg

001-4.jpg

Doublegun

Practically Family
Gotta love old M12's (especially 16's) that show years of honest wear. I'd rather have an ols gun with honest wear than a new gun right out of the box. It's a respectability thing: the gun's been there and done that.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I'd rather have an ols gun with honest wear than a new gun right out of the box. It's a respectability thing: the gun's been there and done that.

Well said. As a friend - Old Sarge and I know - on some gunboards writes, "Never hunt with a cartridge younger than you." I think can often be applied to your firearm as well (classic custom jobs and home project guns aside, I've put together a couple of flintlock kits and in the white guns that I'd exclude from this rule :) ).

DesertDan

One Too Many
Nice '03 's you have there Doublegun. My friend has one, I'll have to give it a closer look next time I'm over.
I usually hunt with my Marlin 336 (.30-30) or Mannlicher- Schoenauer (.243) but I recently aquired a Remington 700 ADL (.30-06) that will be seeing some field time soon.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Well, gave the Taurus 38 a little TLC. Still gotta do something with the grips, but that is okay. Some brass wool & oil, then cleaned and cold blued. I wouldn't do this to a collector's gun, but for a bedside piece it is a lot better.
001-5.jpg

003-5.jpg

The little mud puppy cleaned up okay.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
I stopped by a local gun shop today and came home with another gun that was on my short list...sort of. I was interested in a GSG (German Sport Guns) M1911-22 or the new Colt Government 1911 in .22LR. What I came home with was a Sig Sauer M1911-22, and she's a beauty!

Picture284.jpg

Picture283.jpg

Tomorrow I'll be taking her to the range to see if she shoots as well as she looks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic