Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

plain old dave

A-List Customer
45he1.jpg

There ya go. And while .45ACP will work in revolvers, .45AR is much more accurate. I have always thought that this was due to the inconsistent headspacing allowed by the moon clips.

matrioshka

One of the Regulars
Vintage repurposed, or something like that.

Someone I know cleaned out a house and found this in the magazine rack:

vicmod3.jpg

The ammo you see in the picture was still in it when he found it. Four rounds of Remington Peters and two of Winchester Western. Not that old, no, not at all :)

This revolver started out life as a .38 S&W/38/200 Victory Model with a five inch barrel. The s/n has a V prefix, might be Lend Lease, but no US property marks or flaming bomb.

vicmod1.jpg

Sometime in the 60's, this pistol was modified for export to the USA. The cylinder was rechambered for .38 Special, barrel cut down one inch and a Parker Hale ramp front sight installed. They also got rid of the lanyard ring.

Check out the quality replacement grips :)

vicmod2.jpg

Note the proof marks. If you look to the right, you'll see the view proof. The letters OB, if I got it right, stand for 1964.

Neat little fact here: The big surplus gun dealers, guys like Val Forgett and Sam Cummings, had warehouses in the UK. They'd gather stuff from all over and ship it from there. For a firearm to be exported from the UK, it had to pass proof. Which means that "Lend Lease" 1911 or Garand might have come from somewhere else and sold to fatten El Presidente's Swiss bank account...

Anyway, someone did a nice job rechambering this one. Sometimes you see them, and it looks like it was done on a drill press with a dull bit.

And yeah, I shot the six rounds that came with it, and they worked. Not bad for $100.

M

Hexenmeister

One of the Regulars
My brother recently bought a Glock something or other and then got his concealed carry permit. I keep telling him "Sean, you gota get a flint-lock pistol, now. Pack that baby 'round town!" lol

Levallois

Practically Family
I'm glad this thread is still around - After I couldn't find it in the Great Outdoors, I did a global search for any thread with "guns" in the title. This thread did not come up. Why would that not happen?

On a happier note - two new additions to the vintage WWI collection:

1917 Eddystone Rifle - made in June 1918 - the WWI rifle that 2/3 of the AEF used in France during the war (not the 1903 Springfield) - all but 4 small parts are Eddystone marked:

DSC01355.jpg

1911 Colt made in 1918 - used but unaltered in any way:

1911COLT19184.jpg

Thanks for looking,

John

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, very glad I was able to pull this back up again! I tried looking for it and about had heart failure! Why? Because there are some excellent firearms on here and I like to show them off to friends/family when they suggest making a purchase. Thanks for all the pictures guys and gals! :eusa_clap

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
The year 1936 saw the New Service chambered for the powerhouse handgun cartridge of the day, the .357 Magnum. The New Service in .38 Special was popular with police and was used by the Texas Dept. of Public Safety, U.S. Border Patrol, Pennsylvania State Police, Kansas Highway Patrol, the Tennessee Valley Authority, and San Antonio and Richmond police departments. The New Hampshire State Police bought some in .357 Mag.

I recently read the above in a Shooting Times review. I never knew the Colt New Service was available in .357 Magnum. Did these use the pencil barrel, or was a heavy barrel fitted for the more-powerful round? If it used the pencil barrel, that would make the New Service the only Magnum I’m aware of without a heavy barrel.

-Dave

Chris Dillon

Familiar Face
Joined the lounge today and just discovered this thread. It is already my favorite thread! Some real beauties on here (especially that red 9 C96!!:eek: ). I collect mostly WWII firearms, specifically German.
Once I can post images I will share some of my treasures.
Cheers!

-Chris

Highlander

A-List Customer
U.S Military 1911's

I know almost everyone I ever talked to (with the exception of my Math Teacher in High School) said that the 1911's they were provided to qualify with in the Military were old/beat up/sloppy/and the riflings were completely shot out of them. I found this little piece at a forum, apparently it's more being comfortable with the piece:

The post about 1911 inaccuracy reminded me of a personal experience many years ago...
I was attending one of the original SOT courses taught by former 5th SFG(A) Project Blue Light Operators. All the students were young Rangers or SFers and had brought their issue 1911A1s from home station. These were classic parkerized G.I. pistols... worn, loose, fixed sights, absolutely no custom features. Most of the pistols were older than the troops carrying them by at least 20 years and a couple of wars. The chief marksmanship instructor (a senior Master Sgt and former Camp Perry competitor with the Army Pistol Team) brought up all the same old concerns about "Old Slabsides" (i.e., loose, shot out, terrible sights, incapable of any decent accuracy). He then asked us if we thought that the condition of our pistols would handicap our bullseye or combat firing drills. We unanimously agreed that we would be lucky to hit anything with our old clapped out pieces. He then selected (at random) a pistol straight out of a young Ranger Bn E-5´s holster. After clearing the weapon, he shook it. It rattled nicely. He observed that the pistol did indeed look pretty beat. He then loaded a 7 round magazine, placed the weapon UPSIDE DOWN in his weak hand, using his little finger to engage the trigger, and fired at standard 25 yard pistol bullseye target. Afew seconds later, there was a 7-round, 2" group clustered in the 10X ring (from 25 Yards). He cleared the pistol, handed it back to its chagrined owner, and addressed our rather silent and open mouthed class. "Well..." he said. "I guess if ya can´t hit the targets during this course, it won´t because of your .45". The point was well taken. We learned to assimilate and apply marksmanship fundamentals prior to progressing to the sexy combat firing drills...and we never doubted our 1911A1s again.

TheBusinessEnd

New in Town
plain old dave said:
I got a Smith and Wesson M1917 Brazilian Contract recently for under $400 and as N frame Smiths are almost everything-proof, this would make a decent carry piece if I could find ready made .45 Auto Rim shells with some sort of expanding bullet.

plain old dave, you can find .45 Auto Rim hollow-points at DoubleTap Ammo(link goes straight to .45 Auto Rim page). A 10mm-shooting friend turned me on to DoubleTap and I've been very pleased with their various 9mm Luger loads(although I wish they would produce something in 9mm Makarov!). It's expensive, about a dollar a round for your pistol, but I don't imagine those rounds come much cheaper elsewhere.

Does that use the standard .45ACP projectile? If it does, it seems as if reloading would be quite attractive :)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
DISPLAY ROOM.

Gents. Get back on track please - mission creep seems to set in here every so often, probably due to your enthusiasm for the subject. But, *this* is a DISPLAY ROOM, for you to discuss and show your vintage firearms. Not the why's and wherefore's of the legality behind carrying firearms or as in past cases, what damage firearms can cause.

So, Thankyou Gentlemen for your time and assistance with this.;)

PADDY.

Corto

A-List Customer
Levallois said:
1911 Colt made in 1918 - used but unaltered in any way:
1911COLT19184.jpg
Is it my imagination, or is the barrel on that .45 (very much) longer than what you'd normally see today?

Corto said:
Is it my imagination, or is the barrel on that .45 (very much) longer than what you'd normally see today?

Had it not been an optical illusion perpetrated on us the the forward portion where the dust cover cut out is has a longer than usual section. These are affectionately called "Longslides" and are rare versions of the 1911. If you google "45 or 1911 Longslide" you'll see a really neat selection of them. Lotto wishlist item: I've wanted a pair of Longslides with a twin shoulder holster setup. Springfield Amoury has had them on their website. If I recall correctly the standard 45 is a 5" barreell and Longslides have been made as 6" and longer versions.

Levallois

Practically Family
It is the way the photo was taken that makes it look too long - it's a normal 1911 as made in 1918.

1911COLT1918.jpg

Corto said:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran