Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

Panache

A-List Customer
Not sure if this the right place, but I thought I would share this vintage holster I picked up at a local gun shop for $10

It was sold by Von Lengerke & Antoinne of Chicago so it can't be any newer than the 50's or 60's

562864_490628144286124_1796724388_n.jpg

483255_490628207619451_746598931_n.jpg

It fit my Ruger Single Six perfectly

269378_490628274286111_1480281979_n.jpg

After a little bit of work and elbow grease

548707_491307747551497_1176706005_n.jpg

Cheers

Jamie

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Not sure if this the right place, but I thought I would share this vintage holster I picked up at a local gun shop for $10

It was sold by Von Lengerke & Antoinne of Chicago so it can't be any newer than the 50's or 60's

It fit my Ruger Single Six perfectly

After a little bit of work and elbow grease
Cheers

Jamie

Holy shamolies! What a difference! I thought by the first pic that it was brown leather, but it's actually black! What an awesome find, congrats!

Rathdown

Practically Family
Your holster was made for VL&A by the Herman Heister Company in Denver Colorado, probably in the 1920s or 30s (Heister went out of business in 1955; as I recall VL&A closed up shop in 1960). Heister holsters rank among the holy grails of holster collecting. Yours, prior to "restoration" would have been worth around $200-$300. The most I've seen a single Heister sell for was $1200, although it was virtually brand new. There is currently a Heister similar to yours for sale in 90% condition on line for $800.

Unfortunately, by dying the holster black it's value has been seriously diminished, and most collectors would give it a pass. You might get $50-$75 for it on a good day. And this is the problem with things that are wrongly restored-- no matter how well intentioned the restorer may have been -- their intrinsic worth (not value) as an artifact of a particular time, place, and use is destroyed forever. In effect the artifact becomes just like George Washington's axe...

As CodeRed so aptly put it, "That was quite a transformation."

Panache

A-List Customer
Your holster was made for VL&A by the Herman Heister Company in Denver Colorado, probably in the 1920s or 30s (Heister went out of business in 1955; as I recall VL&A closed up shop in 1960). Heister holsters rank among the holy grails of holster collecting. Yours, prior to "restoration" would have been worth around $200-$300. The most I've seen a single Heister sell for was $1200, although it was virtually brand new. There is currently a Heister similar to yours for sale in 90% condition on line for $800.

Unfortunately, by dying the holster black it's value has been seriously diminished, and most collectors would give it a pass. You might get $50-$75 for it on a good day. And this is the problem with things that are wrongly restored-- no matter how well intentioned the restorer may have been -- their intrinsic worth (not value) as an artifact of a particular time, place, and use is destroyed forever. In effect the artifact becomes just like George Washington's axe...

OH MY! I honestly had no idea that such a thing would be of value.

Had I known I would have sold it to a collector who would have appreciated its patina of age.

I wasn't trying to restore an antique, I wanted a holster. But what is done is done and I will appreciate it as a quality piece of kit made by a company that obviously built things to last.

Cheers

Jamie

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hi

I didn't note that Panache dyed the holster, but anyway, would oiling the holster cause it to diminish in price? If so, how are you supposed to keep the old holsters in good shape?

Thanks

MikePotts

Practically Family
Hi

I didn't note that Panache dyed the holster, but anyway, would oiling the holster cause it to diminish in price? If so, how are you supposed to keep the old holsters in good shape?

Thanks

Holsters should be, apart from a good 'dusting', left alone. Any type of 'treatment' will cause them to lose their 'block'.

Rathdown

Practically Family
Holsters should be, apart from a good 'dusting', left alone. Any type of 'treatment' will cause them to lose their 'block'.
Leather, with age, will dry out, crack, and shrink. My SAA rides in a holster that is at least 80 years old and it has not suffered from an annual application of Lexol. If you are concerned about the holster loosing its shape try this -- after treating your holster with your preferred leather dressing, wrap your handgun in cling film and put it back in the holster. This will help the holster retain it shape and is harmless to the finish of the gun.

DesertDan

One Too Many
I like your holster refinish Panache.
Go wear the heck out of it til it looks like it did when you started. It'll probably be worth even more by then! :D

Landman

One Too Many
WWII 1911-A1 Pistols

Here are a couple of my favorite pistols and a shoulder holster that was with the Remington Rand when I purchased it.

1944 Ithaca

Ithaca_1906623_01a.jpg

1944 Remington Rand

Remington_Rand_1569332_01a-1.jpg

1944 M3 Shoulder Holster

M3_Holster_RR_02a.jpg

Landman

One Too Many
1945 Remington Rand

Here is another one of mine. This is a 1945 Remington Rand. I was incorrect in my earlier post when I said the 1944 Remington Rand was in the shoulder holster when I found it. Actually this was the pistol that was in the holster. It was also loaded with 1943 head stamped ball ammunition. There was also some more 1943 head stamped ammo with it in a box. The original owner who had passed away was a retired Lt. Col. that had served in WWII and Korea. He retired in 1961 so he never served in Vietnam Nam. He obviously took very good care of this pistol because it was well oiled and lubed. I'm assuming he used it for home protection since he kept it loaded and wrapped in a handkerchief. They just put it back in the holster for the estate sale. The holster was well taken care of too. It was obvious it had been treated with leather conditioner regularly and was very supple with no signs of cracking. The holster is actually an Enger-Kress M3 shoulder holster.

Remington_Rand_2436927_01a.jpg

M3_Holster_RR_02a.jpg

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I bought one of the WW2 Shoulder hosters to wear mowing the range etc. They're very comfortable and easy to draw from. Pacific leather sells them at a low price and the leather's worth the money paid.

later

Panache

A-List Customer
I like your holster refinish Panache.
Go wear the heck out of it til it looks like it did when you started. It'll probably be worth even more by then! :D

I like this!

The holster was pretty flattened when I go it and being unsure of what the oil and dye would do to my Ruger I dug around my costume box and found a cowboy cap pistol that was pretty much the same size as my single six. I used that to shape the holster and am storing the cap pistol in it now to hold its shape.

Cheers

Jamie

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
What is that exactly Mike? Looks like a viable alternative to the French MAS I've been thinking of getting. Only thing about the French rifle I don't like is the lack of available ammo. :mad: But the MAS is smaller and lighter than an M1, as well as less expensive, it would be about the perfect semi-auto I think, if ammo were readily available. I heard about the tragic Century Arms debacle in the early 90's I think. When they attempted to re-chamber the MAS to a .308,(Just a matter of about a half a thousandth of an inch I think?),.. but most unfortunately were botched and turned into single shot rifles by the process.:eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner