Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Guns!

vedearduff

New in Town
Here are a couple shots of three of my flintlocks.

First up is my Bess.
Bess.jpg

BessLockCloseUp.jpg

Next is my .50 caliber Longrifle.
Longrifle.jpg

LongrifleLockCloseUp.jpg

Last, but not least, is my .36 caliber Longrifle.
SquirrelRifle.jpg

SquirrelRifleLockCloseUp.jpg

The two Longrifles have 44 inch barrels, the .36 is stocked in walnut and the .50 in maple. The Bess has a 46 inch barrel and is stocked in walnut. All three were built for me by Narragansett Armes when they were located in downtown Indy.

Vernon

vedearduff

New in Town
Sarge,

I have used all three of them to hunt. The .36 Longrifle has accounted for squirrel, groundhog, and rabbit. The .50 Longrifle has accounted for deer. The Bess has accounted for squirrel, and rabbit using shot and deer using a patched round ball.

I initially purchased the Bess for reenactment, not expecting useable accuracy. When I do my part, I get 8 inch groups at 75 yards. With the Bess I keep my shots at deer to 50 yards or closer.

I currently have no caplock firearms. I've had more ignition problems with the caplocks I've had (a TC Hawkin and an early CVA Moutain Rifle) than I've ever had with my flintlocks.

Vernon

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Sarge,

I've had more ignition problems with the caplocks I've had (a TC Hawkin and an early CVA Moutain Rifle) than I've ever had with my flintlocks.

Vernon
The best flintlock rifle I ever owned was a T/C Hawkins 50cal. I built it from a kit in the 70s, looked terrible, but shot great. I finally, tore it apart and refinished it right in the 90s, looked great. Unfortunately, in a fit of madness, I sold it.

Doublegun

Practically Family
The best flintlock rifle I ever owned was a T/C Hawkins 50cal. I built it from a kit in the 70s, looked terrible, but shot great. I finally, tore it apart and refinished it right in the 90s, looked great. Unfortunately, in a fit of madness, I sold it.

I have a .32 cal Ohio Vincent style rifle that is a tack driver out to about 25-yards. I love the smell of black powder smoke early in the morning in a squirrel woods. I like a .32; cheap to feed and fun to shoot BT cleaning that small bore is a pita. I would like to find just the right .32 or .36 flinter because they are just more fun to shoot.

I also have a .54 Great Plains (Hawken-style) rifle built in 1976 by a fellow in Indiana. That rifle is a deer killing beast and is capable of accuracy far better than I can shoot.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
I had a caplock Hawken once upon a time. I bought it for winter deer season in Indiana where my sister lives. It was fun but a nuisance to clean so I finally sold it. If I were to be afflicted with the BP bug again, it would be something like a Spencer, Martini or some other such cartridge gun. I love old falling block buffalo plunkers but having shot the only buffalo I ever will (whatinhell do you do with that much meat?) my chances of ever getting a Sharps or a Winchester are slim-approaching-none.

Rathdown

Practically Family
My all-time favourite BP rifle was my old Alex. Henry .450-3 1/4 falling block. Sights were dead on at 50 - 100- 150 yards. Never should have sold it. *sigh*

Last edited:

Rathdown

Practically Family
Actually I consigned it at Kerr's Sporting Goods in Beverly Hills (tells you how long ago I sold it). Somewhere I think I still have a few rounds, some brass, and probably two bullet molds -- one, which Howard French gave me, has a plug to make hollow-points; the hollow point being exactly the right size to accept a .22 casing, creating an exploding bullet. The purpose of the exercise was to shock and awe the round haircuts down at the rifle range... the effect of the .450-3 1/4 "French Express" on the gong at the 100 yard line was awesome.

Rathdown

Practically Family
I think Alec Kerr sold my Alex. Henry to Jaques Lott, but I'm not sure. "Jack" was very closed mouth about guns he bought, sold, and traded. We used to shoot up at Soledad Canyon, although a lot of our testing was done on the outdoor range in Burbank (!) up on Country Club Drive, courtesy of the Burbank PD. At the time I had 14 acres in Big Tujunga Canyon and used to start each day with ten rounds at 15 yards off my back porch with whatever handgun I was testing/using/carrying, or ten rounds at 50 yards off the front porch with a rifle. Then it was hop in the car and head down into Hollywood.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Rats, was at the range today and something broke in my C96 Bolo Broomhandle. I couldn't see what was wrong, so it's off to the gunsmith. At least the new mags for my Thompson worked well and the old S&W .44 Special did what it was supposed to!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Rats, was at the range today and something broke in my C96 Bolo Broomhandle. I couldn't see what was wrong, so it's off to the gunsmith. At least the new mags for my Thompson worked well and the old S&W .44 Special did what it was supposed to!
Thats why I put my Broomhandle away. If you break the wrong matching number part, you can go from a pistol worth a couple of thousand dollars, to one worth only a few hundred!

Hunter_aka_Scotty

One of the Regulars
Here are a few of mine. Barely the tip of the iceberg to my collection, but the ones I thought were most relevant to this forum. These are all 100% legal and observe all State and Federal Laws. I would like to get some better pictures of a few of my favorites such as the M95/34 Steyrs and the Carcano Cav. Carbine.

Edited to list the firearms.

Semi-Auto converted Finnish Model 1931 Suomi. 9mm Luger.
Post War Polish TT-33 Tokarev, dated 1948 7.62x25
Reproduction Model 1887 Coach Double Barrel Shotgun. 12. Gauge.
Soviet Russian model 1895 Nagant Revolver, dated 1944. 7.62x38
Reproduction Model 1872 Richards & Mason's Colt Conversion. .38 Special.

SuomiM31012-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Toys019.jpg
[/IMG]

Toys010.jpg
[/IMG]

Guns2002.jpg
[/IMG]

Toys001-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Welcome Scotty, good looking bunch of firearms!

And the Broomie is a parts gun anyway [thankfully] so I don't have to worry about the collector's value, it's a shooter. Or will be again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner