Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Lolita,
You didn't fail at all! I think you came pretty darn close! And all from a picture. Amazing! You might get that Bette Davis look without having to pin it up if your hair was shorter, but I don't know if want to do that. Remember, everyone back then, pined away to look like the Hollywood stars of that time. You just have to find the vintage look that suites your hair type and length. (And even your last photo looks really cute--it could be your "signature hairstyle".)

I have very fine, thin hair and would LOVE to have your thick hair for a day. The grass isn't any greener on the other side of the fence, we just have to be content with the grass we have. IMHO :)

retromom147

One of the Regulars
Lolita Haze: Wow-O! You're right it's not quite the bette davis look but it's so retro...looks a little Ginger rogers from swing time in the front! So gorgeous!

Ruby Red/Raven locks: You are so pretty! I wish I was cute and brave enough to sport that really awesome hair. Way to go!

PlumDearly: Yes I too want to know the lipcolor...the whole look is awesome.

Coming on this site gives me hope for my hair. I would have given up a long time ago if not for all of you talented ladies.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Lolita, your hair looks amazing as always! I wish I had your lovely thick hair. Your curls always look perfect, do you use serum or any product afterwards? I have to use serum otherwise it looks like an afro! I've recently started using perm rods too and am loving the result - bouncy full curls which actually last - but they don't look as neat as yours. Any secrets?

Joli7211

Familiar Face
LolitaHaze said:
Well... I tried anyway. I think I failed. I should just accept my hair is far too thick to recreate these styles accurately. :( I think my hair looks ok, but not what I wanted.

The Inspiration (thank you amy_jeanne for your glamspam):
bette_davis_1402.jpg

The Result:
P1130241b.jpg

You know, I don't think you're too far off. :eusa_clap Certainly is better than I could do. :( Notice that her face is a longer shape than yours. That could be why it doesn't look "right". Either way you did a great job and I wish I could do the same. :rolleyes: :eusa_doh:

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Lolita - Your hair always looks great and you make it look so effortless! Thank you for including a picture with your rollers :eusa_clap . I always have a hard time setting the rollers near the front so that my hair frames my face properly. I've got a better idea of how to do it now!

How did women back then figure this stuff out without the internet and webforums like TheFedoraLounge?[huh]

old yazoo

Familiar Face
It took me a bit to muster up courage to post here in the presence of all you vintage queenies...but you're all so kind so here goes.

When I've given up on curls:
rancher.jpg

and when I manage to make curls:
DSCN2903.jpg

but not know what to do with them. I usually do side rolls, but this night I wanted more of a 30's look. Forgive the drugged look. That's my best attempt at a glam face:rolleyes:

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
old_yazoo, your hair looks great! and enough of this being courageous enough to post... my first thought the first time i saw/met you was, "wow, cute hair!"

red, i really like that look on you! your rolls remind me of big swirly cinnamon buns :)

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Red-You're a sweetheart,thank you so much!

Lo-I think you pulled it off rather close.Honestly,your part is a bit higher and I like it better than Bette's.The last one is my fave as well,but that could be the hint of red on your blonde curls.

retromom-Your wish for cuteness has been granted and then some.You're a doll! You are on your own for bravery. Those curls are darling.

missmelly

One of the Regulars
old yazoo said:
It took me a bit to muster up courage to post here in the presence of all you vintage queenies...but you're all so kind so here goes.

When I've given up on curls:
rancher.jpg

and when I manage to make curls:
DSCN2903.jpg

but not know what to do with them. I usually do side rolls, but this night I wanted more of a 30's look. Forgive the drugged look. That's my best attempt at a glam face:rolleyes:
I think both looks are fabulous!

CassD

One of the Regulars
A first attempt

I finally managed to do some victory rolls that I'm not too ashamed of. Any advice on how to improve them is welcome. :)

Frontview.jpg

Sideview.jpg

The curl in the back is natural. That's just how it dries.
Backview.jpg

I tried to make the images smaller, but for some reason, they won't go any smaller. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters