Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

MissyVamp

New in Town
Gorgeous!

CopyofHPIM0106.jpg
[/IMG][/QUOTE]

That is gorgeous how'd you DO that?

MissyVamp

New in Town
Everyone looks so GOOD!

I may have to hide in my house until I have learned proper hair techniques! You all put me to shame!

I will learn to do my hair, I will , I will, I WILL!!!!lol

Siobhan

VanillaT

One of the Regulars
Hmm. This post is awesome! It makes me want to start trying to do some of the styles. The problem is this, however: I have the most stick-straightenest finest slipperiest most curl resistant hair that a gal could have. Even wet-set pin curls with gel up the wazoo and hairspray manage to fall out in a matter of hours. I actually am being tempted to color it since that is the only thing that seems to be able to allow my hair to curl and take... I think that when it is damaged it is a lot less slippery and is somehow broken down enough that it will hold a curl. Sigh. (Head shaking.) I still really want to go back to being a redhead anyways... now I am just convincing myself even more.

MissyVamp

New in Town
Yeah - I think that is sort of true - if your hair is too healthy it seems harder to do ANYTHING with it - a cruel joke i think! But my hair, if it was supposed to be all straight and glossy like the modern styles, would just look cr*p -but as it is ( ruined from bleach and colour...and bleach and colour and more bleach etc!)it actually holds a curl quite well.

And I also think red is a great colour! - Us redheads should stick together!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Thank you everyone, you're too kind! I hope to snag my sister or some other model one of these days to make a little video for you all to see how I do a few things.

Yes, I part my hair, and did do it rather diagonal that day. I have a severe cowlic in front. I can never have just straight across bangs, or even a side swept bang. Even with a flat iron etc, it is very strong and gives me alot of trouble. So I just go with it now!

Badmamajama, sounds great! Would love to see you! :eek:fftopic: About the Titanic thing, it's just the new Titanic museum in Branson, MO. You'll have to go! I plan to go on the anniversary, April 14. I have many dresses I want to wear and they said they would even take my pic for me! One dress from 1910, and other costumes. Yes, I have always loved that era. I have a zillion videos and books on the sinking.

Coloring your hair definitely helps it to curl or at least have more body. There's a big difference between being colored correctly, and being over-processed. To get my dark hair a really nice red like my avatar, I have to use 30 volume peroxide. But I only did the entire head once. After that you just do the roots with the 30 volume and use a zero volume, or no lift peroxide on the ends. I love being a redhead too but have been really tempted to go dark lately.

Rosie your double rolls with the flower is one of the best looks (the perfect heart-shaped face!), along with Jitterbug's everyday look.

Nikki

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
If anyone is interested, I have an album that I have been trying to add a lot of hair pics to that I've done. Some are me, but most are of my little sister and my brother's girlfriend at prom, etc. I had to really lighten some of them alot to show the hair so they're kinda freaky looking. I have more to add but my scanner is on the fritz.
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/ohairas/album/576460762343343421
I love updo's with flowers. While these young girls are certainly not into the vintage looks like I am, at least I talked them both into wearing flowers a few times!

Also, my sister's updo with the pearls in her hair... her hair was bobbed then, about collar length. So I just wanted to let you girls know that you can still do a lot with short bobbed hair!

Nikki

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
Fleur, I was surprised how few rollers it took to create such lush curls. It looks wonderful on you. Thanks so much for the tutorial! I'm filing it away for future reference.

All these beautiful styles are making me long for my long hair. Now that I'm about two weeks out from the butchery, the various flaws of the haircut are becoming more and more apparent. I'm talking unevenness, random chunks that are longer than the rest, and the fact that the left side is at least a half an inch longer than the right side. I paid for this!

Give me a few months and maybe I'll come up with something to post. For right now, though, I'm stuck with a hideous haircut and no options to disguise its ugliness.

Rant over. Bring on the pretty hair. :)

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
Polka Dot said:
Fleur, I was surprised how few rollers it took to create such lush curls. It looks wonderful on you. Thanks so much for the tutorial! I'm filing it away for future reference.

All these beautiful styles are making me long for my long hair. Now that I'm about two weeks out from the butchery, the various flaws of the haircut are becoming more and more apparent. I'm talking unevenness, random chunks that are longer than the rest, and the fact that the left side is at least a half an inch longer than the right side. I paid for this!

Give me a few months and maybe I'll come up with something to post. For right now, though, I'm stuck with a hideous haircut and no options to disguise its ugliness.

Rant over. Bring on the pretty hair. :)

Polka Dot: Don't feel that you can't do anything with your hair now, have you tried pin curls? My hair is between 1" and 3" all over. I'm growing out (or attempting to:) ) a pixie. I pin curl my hair and it really can be arranged in a way that you wouldn't notice all the layers.

I start with damp (not wet) hair, my spray bottle of lottabody, a good comb and pin curl clips. The trick is not to get scraggly ends and for this, the eraser side of a pencil is perfect! Don't laugh, it works!! I am able to pin my whole head and in the a.m., I brush it out. If you place your brush under the back of your hair while brushing and brush upwards, you will get "fluff". You can leave it fluffy, or tame it down a bit. I use Frizz Ease by John Freida as my hairspray, because it tames down the inevitable frizziness that I get and leaves your hair looking soft. I can get a good 2 or 3 days out of one set.

Give it a try, you may be pleasantly surprised!:eusa_clap

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I'm chuffed to bits that it helps some ladies! I had weird hair, I have a lot of it, but what's there is fine so I can get a lot into a few rollers. They are thin sponge ones that squish down to almost nothing so look very like pin curls but are not at all bulky to sleep on.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Polka Dot--experimenting with setting your hair will probably make the growing out phase less annoying. At the very least you will get in some good practice for when your hair is back to normal again. :)

Ohairas, I love your hairstyle! I have a cowlick too, and find it best to just go with it instead of trying to work against it. :)

And thank you, MissyVamp! I haven’t created a tutorial of my own yet, but I learned to style reverse rolls using these directions:
http://www.nocturne.com/swing/hair/rolls/rolls.html

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
23A.jpg

I'm still working on the whole roller thing, but, I found this great curling iron that creats S waves...here is pic that shows the result

Etienne

A-List Customer
I was just thinking of something the other day--why couldn't a gal buy an inexpensive curly hair piece (the kind at the drugstore) in her hair color, and just pull it apart into bunches; then, use THAT hair stuffed into something (stocking piece or even clear netting?) and make hair rats? (It would take a LONG time to get enough of your own hair to make really good rats, it seems.) And I think I would try forming or sewing the rats into cones to begin with so you'd just need to wind the hair around them, tightening the roll at the part where you need it to blend with the rest of the hair. Any thoughts on this or has anyone ever tried it? I think I feel an experiment coming on!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Etienne said:
I was just thinking of something the other day--why couldn't a gal buy an inexpensive curly hair piece (the kind at the drugstore) in her hair color, and just pull it apart into bunches; then, use THAT hair stuffed into something (stocking piece or even clear netting?) and make hair rats? (It would take a LONG time to get enough of your own hair to make really good rats, it seems.) And I think I would try forming or sewing the rats into cones to begin with so you'd just need to wind the hair around them, tightening the roll at the part where you need it to blend with the rest of the hair. Any thoughts on this or has anyone ever tried it? I think I feel an experiment coming on!

You could certainly use it to fill a stocking and form your own rats (it takes about a year to build up enough of your own hair to make a pair of rats for reverse rolls.) You don't necessarily have to form a special shape other than a basic tube, as it is very easy to mold/blend a rat made from hair into your own hair, as opposed to the more obvious foam rats they still sell today (which seem to only come in an odd shade of gray.)

pretty faythe

One Too Many
ohairas

ohairas said:

The pic you have with the girls hair whacked (was she holding a pony tail?).
I did that to both of my daughters hair last summer. Their hair was getting on their nerves and in turn getting on my nerves...so I just decided to pull it back and whack it off right above the pony tail! It did look better on straight hair daughter better than the curly hair daughter, but still looked cute none the less.

I also have a question, and not sure where to post it. I have hot rollers that I use from Clairol, prob from the 90's and there is a setting that says "treatment". What the heck is "treatment"?

Thanks

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jitterbugdoll said:
Try end papers (used with perms), which will smooth out the ends and help shorter layers stay neat as well.
Would rolling papers work?:D lol :D

ohairas said:
Badmamajama, sounds great! Would love to see you! :eek:fftopic: About the Titanic thing, it's just the new Titanic museum in Branson, MO. You'll have to go! I plan to go on the anniversary, April 14. I have many dresses I want to wear and they said they would even take my pic for me! One dress from 1910, and other costumes. Yes, I have always loved that era. I have a zillion videos and books on the sinking.
Nikki

Nikki, I have seen your pics of your Titanic dresses, they are incredible. I have the patterns for her boarding suit, her tea gown and her red beaded evening gown with the black beaded train. I just haven't found anyone who will make them for me:( and I have a feeling it will be quite some time before I have the sewing skills to do them myself. I have a tailor who is amazing she also makes custom designed wedding gowns and gowns for pageants. I've been thinking of bringing the patterns to her, along with the fabric. But she is really expensive and I'm not sure if I want to take the plunge yet. Although the hankering is getting stronger, I might just have her make one for me. Yours are truly amazing though:) Make sure you take lots of pictures at the museum. I'm also fascinated with the Titanic and would love to see the museum some day.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jitterbugdoll said:
Polka Dot--experimenting with setting your hair will probably make the growing out phase less annoying. At the very least you will get in some good practice for when your hair is back to normal again. :)

Ohairas, I love your hairstyle! I have a cowlick too, and find it best to just go with it instead of trying to work against it. :)

And thank you, MissyVamp! I haven’t created a tutorial of my own yet, but I learned to style reverse rolls using these directions:
http://www.nocturne.com/swing/hair/rolls/rolls.html

I've been using the nocturne site for ages, there verbal directions are great but the pictures never show up. It doesn't matter if I use Safari, Internet Explorer or Firefox, I just can't load their pictures:( So darn frustrating!!! Wonder if it just has to do with my mac..... But, I've never had this problem on any other site. I've emailed them, because I really do love the site, but nothing has ever happened. I wish I could see the pics, some directions are just easier to follow when there pictures along with them... I pretty much know how to do the styles they have on their site, but I have a feeling that their might be easier ways than how I am doing them! There are other sites with directions, but I find nocturne's directions to be clearer than the others.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Daisy Buchanan said:
I've been using the nocturne site for ages, there verbal directions are great but the pictures never show up. It doesn't matter if I use Safari, Internet Explorer or Firefox, I just can't load their pictures:( So darn frustrating!!! Wonder if it just has to do with my mac..... But, I've never had this problem on any other site. I've emailed them, because I really do love the site, but nothing has ever happened. I wish I could see the pics, some directions are just easier to follow when there pictures along with them... I pretty much know how to do the styles they have on their site, but I have a feeling that their might be easier ways than how I am doing them! There are other sites with directions, but I find nocturne's directions to be clearer than the others.

Actually, the pictures don't seem to be showing up anymore. I suspect the site hasn't been updated for a very long time. I actually did a reverse rolls tutorial using my sister as a model; I'll ask her if she minds if I post the photos here. :)

G

GoldLeaf

Actually, Daisy, its a problem with their site. The pictures used to work, then one day they went kaput. I emailed the gal that runs it, and she told me the site crashed and she lost all the pictures. She was going to try to find her back up images and get them up again. It would appear she hasn't been able to do that.

So, its not just you. They used to work, they don't anymore :(

Amber DeCadence

One of the Regulars
well I followed Fleurs tutorial and was really pleased with the result, this is only my second attempt at a vintagey style so please be gentle :eek: oh and pretty please ignore all the bits behind me in my craft cupboard lol

hairpic.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes