Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

bellabella327

One of the Regulars
kamikat said:
Bella, you can do it! My hair is stick straight and is so straight that perms fall out within a couple weeks. My hair takes finger waves much better than a regular curl. In order to get the nice medium curls on the bottom and back, I roll it in tiny perm rods. This style is the only style that lasts more than a single day. When I set it in a softer 50's set, it's completely gone by bedtime.

I keep trying, but they never really come out that good, so I have to mold them into another style.:rage:

Maybe someday...:D

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
These are for the ladies who asked to see my set. I'm using my new Mervin clips, but since I only have 2, you can see the regular clips on my left side.
4555360543_584fb1d98f.jpg

4555360717_ccbbe192ca.jpg

4555991854_a3417436fd.jpg

theplaiddress

New in Town
deadpandiva said:
theplaiddress- I really like your hair cut and I exspecially like the way it is styled on the right side.

Thanks! Short hair has pretty much changed my life. If I could get that wave in my hair every day I'd be a happy girl. Wish I could manage the curls on the bottom a bit better, but I had been out in the wind that day... and I'm still a novice!

ZoetteVDT

New in Town
Hi,
I'm new so please forgive me if this has been mentioned somewhere already, although I did have a look, I was just wondering what do you do with the rest of your hair when you do victory (or reverse) rolls in the front?

FaintlyMacabre

ZoetteVDT said:
Hi,
I'm new so please forgive me if this has been mentioned somewhere already, although I did have a look, I was just wondering what do you do with the rest of your hair when you do victory (or reverse) rolls in the front?
Just an idea - you could just set the rest rolled under and then brush it out into some fluff or brush it under into a neat pageboy shape. I guess it would depend on how long your hair is, too.

FaintlyMacabre

Wave clips

Thanks for posting the pics, Kamikat. Yes they do look like torture devices! I've never seen the "mervin" clips before. I was thinking about some wave clips for myself....What's the difference between the two?

Bombshell Becca

One of the Regulars
I am really proud of this set and it actually lasted all day for once!
It is more of a faux 50's bob (my hair is pretty thin & a little longer than shoulder legnth so this is the only way I can get any volume)

004-Copy.jpg

I really enjoy everyones pics & I get so inspired so thank you all!!!

Kate O Potato

A-List Customer
Bombshell Becca said:
It is more of a faux 50's bob (my hair is pretty thin & a little longer than shoulder legnth so this is the only way I can get any volume)

Indeed, you should be proud! I'm similarly a fine hair sufferer, and struggle to get volume in my hair. I've been using Aveda's Pure Abundance Hair Potion on my roots recently and that works well enough but leaves my hair a bit stiff. My curls usually fall out after a couple of hours, even with lots of spray, though :(

D

Deleted member 12480

Bombshell Becca said:

004-Copy.jpg

I really enjoy everyones pics & I get so inspired so thank you all!!!

glasses <3

jessesgirl08

One of the Regulars
theplaiddress said:
I'm a relative newbie at this whole vintage hairstyling thing. I've always generally focused on the clothes and a little bit on the makeup, but I never even used to brush my hair, let alone style it! But since I've got more time on my hands these days, as well as a shorter & more manageable cut, I'm trying to get in some practice.

I did a wet set post-shower. I added some mousse and shine serum before curling, and then a tad more serum before brushing (which I did for about a half hour or more, phew). It's definitely not ideal, but I think it's better than my first few tries....

Photo%2081.jpg

Photo%2097.jpg

so very cute!

FaintlyMacabre

All those short cuts...

I totally agree. Those darling shoulder length bobs make me think that after I grow my hair a bit longer, and then I cut some Bettie bangs, the next cut will be a short one.

Marla

A-List Customer
kamikat said:
These are for the ladies who asked to see my set. I'm using my new Mervin clips, but since I only have 2, you can see the regular clips on my left side.
4555360543_584fb1d98f.jpg

4555360717_ccbbe192ca.jpg

4555991854_a3417436fd.jpg

Thank you for posting these, Kamikat. Do you brush out your waves after taking the clips off, or just let them be? I can never get the waves to hold if I brush them!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
FaintlyMacabre, these clips do all the work for you. The sticky-outy bits in the front open up the side pieces, which grip the hair and pull it back when you let go. All you have to do is comb the wet hair straight down, then apply the clips.
Marla, if I plan to keep the hair do more than one day, I do not brush the waves. However, it looks much better if I brush it or on day 2.

FaintlyMacabre

kamikat said:
FaintlyMacabre, these clips do all the work for you. The sticky-outy bits in the front open up the side pieces, which grip the hair and pull it back when you let go. All you have to do is comb the wet hair straight down, then apply the clips.
Marla, if I plan to keep the hair do more than one day, I do not brush the waves. However, it looks much better if I brush it or on day 2.
If they do all the work, then by all means I must have them! Where did you get yours? My first web search proved fruitless....except for a very vintage set of two, still on the original card, for $65. *yikes*

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
My voice teacher had some Mervin Wave clips that she let me use for a show we were doing. I should have asked her to sell them to me. She had tons of amazing vintage things that were her mother's.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
FaintlyMacabre said:
If they do all the work, then by all means I must have them! Where did you get yours? My first web search proved fruitless....except for a very vintage set of two, still on the original card, for $65. *yikes*

The thinner clips are still being made today, but don't do all the work. You still need to form the wave, then attach the clip to the wave. The wider clips are very old. I got them on eBay for a ridiculous price. I've been searching eBay for nearly a year for them. $65 is not unheard of for them.

crwritt

One Too Many
kamikat said:
The thinner clips are still being made today, but don't do all the work. You still need to form the wave, then attach the clip to the wave. The wider clips are very old. I got them on eBay for a ridiculous price. I've been searching eBay for nearly a year for them. $65 is not unheard of for them.

I just saw a set of 7 on ebay for $170. How much did they cost back when?
They can't have been that rare.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80