Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

BonnieJean

Practically Family
A Mature Woman's Look:
Not to be outdone by you lovely young ladies, I thought I'd post a photo of myself. I got this with hot sticks. I've just about figured out where to place the sticks to get the curl in the place I want. My hair is very fine and thin, but takes a curl very well. (I have to wash my hair everyday because its like a sponge and absorbs everything in the air, otherwise it looks 'dirty' the next day. Sometimes I can go one day without washing, but that's all.)

While I'm not really into 1940s hairstyles, like some of you gals, I think my type of hair works well with a more 30s look. At least that is the goal I'm trying to achieve...

me_1.JPG

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
This is the most perfect vintage hair I have seen of anyone on here yet! *I bow down to you!* :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

BonnieJean said:
A Mature Woman's Look:
Not to be outdone by you lovely young ladies, I thought I'd post a photo of myself. I got this with hot sticks. I've just about figured out where to place the sticks to get the curl in the place I want. My hair is very fine and thin, but takes a curl very well. (I have to wash my hair everyday because its like a sponge and absorbs everything in the air, otherwise it looks 'dirty' the next day. Sometimes I can go one day without washing, but that's all.)

While I'm not really into 1940s hairstyles, like some of you gals, I think my type of hair works well with a more 30s look. At least that is the goal I'm trying to achieve...

me_1.JPG

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Lo, I just popped over to your website (don't know what took me so long :p ) and you are so innocent looking as a brunette. You should go brown again and lull all the men into thinking you are all sweet and naieve lol

Seriously, though, you are a beautiful blonde and an adorable brunette. You can do the sexy, girl next door look and the bombshell! How do you pull them both off!?

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BonnieJean said:
A Mature Woman's Look:

me_1.JPG

This looks awesome! Could you post a pic of yourself in the HotStix? I want my hair to look exactly like that.

Sunny

One Too Many
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
This looks awesome! Could you post a pic of yourself in the HotStix? I want my hair to look exactly like that.

I second that! Not that it'll happen, since mine's long, thick, and coarse, but I can dream, can't I? :eusa_clap

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Gee, girls, I'm truly humbled by your compliments. I don't know about you, but my hair is never exactly the same day to day. But I REALLY like this look and I'm going to try my darndest to reproduce it. What I did differently today is to roll the hair on the top of my head to the back--I used 3 sticks. Then I did the sides along my face, (I rolled the sticks towards my face). Since my hair is just to my shoulders I curled the sticks downward in 2 rows (horizontally) along the back and the rest of my sides. Since my hair curls easily, I don't leave the sticks in very long. Afterwards I gently brush out my hair a bit and add loads of hairspray.

I'll try to take a picture tomorrow a.m. when I set my hair again and maybe I'll draw a diagram too, since I'm a visual person (and if my memory fails me, I've got something for reference).

I've been experimenting with the hot sticks for weeks now and I may have finally mastered them. I think this hairstyle could easily be reproduced with the sponge rollers too. But I'm too impatient to wait hours while my hair dries and I don't always sleep well with curlers.

I'll get back to you later with more detailed instructions!

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
I did it!

I finally got my hair to do a vintage style! I am the most hair-inept person you've ever met, so this is a major accomplishment for me. :eek: Thanks to everyone who recommended Lottabody- even though my hair doesn't really look curly in the photo, it was. It took me forever to set it, but if I could do it, anyone can.

100_2025.jpg

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bonnie Jean, your hair came out fantastic. I'd love to see what it looks like when the hot sticks are in, and a diagram would be great!
I've been trying my darndest to get a thicker curl that's not too tight, but still has bounce to it, you know like Veronica Lake. But it's just not working out. My curls end up too tight. It still looks good, and I like the outcome, it's just not what I really wanted. I ended up buying the Hairdo's by Jessica Simpson. Since it's synthetic I can't use hot rollers, but I can set them in foam rollers and use a special hold spray to give them the curls I want. Hopefully this extra thickness and length will give me the look I've been hoping for.

Lolita, I wish my hair was that thick when I grow it that long! It looks great!

Sweet Leilani, well done, it looks great and I really like the flower:)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Lo your hair always looks great. Tell us about your date!

Bonnie, you look very glamorous~love your hair. It could pass for almost any era actually(30's-50's)! I want that, only longer. Guess I need to cut some layers in the front, I just really don't wanna until fall.

Sweet Leilani glad we could help! Your hair looks cute, nice flower! Looks like an adorable halter too!

Daisy, let us know what you think of the Jess hair when you get it!
Nikki

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I've had so many different shades of red and have posted throughout our various hair threads,but thought I'd post a collection of some of them.

(Not a good face pic of me,wish I knew how to cover it up)Strawberry blonde with short bangs.
47b4dd34b3127cce9a3b4342d22500000016109AbOXLFk0bS

My favorite haircolor ever!I call this one my 1940s technicolor red
47b5d909b3127cce934ced9eb3c500000015109AbOXLFk0bS

My copper bob.
47b6d824b3127cce898bb3a1db8100000016109AbOXLFk0bS

The darkest I've ever had my hair,sort of a rich auburn.I hated it then,but now I think it made my hair actually look thick.
47b7db10b3127cce84f56b2fa37d00000006109AbOXLFk0bS

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Thank you so much! I have to say that I am in very good company here in the powder room as all the ladies are so lovely.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Ruby,
Gorgeous shades of red--all of them. I used to have a dark auburn haircolor until I settled for the color I had as a little girl--medium natural blonde.(I especially like your hairstyle with the dark auburn hair--beautiful curls.)
My hair really isn't in layers--its mostly one length and I've been trying to grow out my bangs for a long time. You can't tell because the curls hide them well. I think they're almost halfway down the side of my face now. I sure hope I can create my same look tomorrow---stay tuned.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Polka Dot said:
Thirded. (Is that a word?) :)

Fourthed! That's exactly the look I'd like for my day to day style.

BonnieJean, so interesting to hear you don't really have layers. I've been growing my bangs out too and my hair is a similar length. I've been thinking I'd have to have layers cut into my hair but maybe not? If you could give us a diagram of how you do the curls I'd be so grateful.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
BonnieJean said:
A Mature Woman's Look:

me_1.JPG

Oh your hair is perfect! I'd love an explanation too like the rest of the girls. I'm tempted to get some hot sticks but hot rollers don't work on me at all (the curls drop out after 20 minutes!) so I'm not sure if I'd just end up with the same results. What brand do you use?

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
We always want what we dont have...

I would -give- you some of my hair if I could.....far far too much of it..

when it takes like double the amount of rollers to roll it......

Yes please! ;) I have fine hair but a lot of it apparently so it doesn't look too thin. I'm pretty sure my hair was thicker when I was younger, the constant dyeing has probably fried it.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
My Hair-do How-tos

OK, Ladies, here's what some of you have been waiting for--how I did my hair.
First, I start with dry hair (after washing it, I put in leave-in conditioning cream and then spritz it with Lottabody setting lotion and then I'll either let it dry naturally or what I usually do is give it a quick shot of the blowdryer when it is barely damp to give some lift at the roots). Here's my "before" picture. You can see my thin wispy hair and that my bangs are getting a little long-ish. I have a slightly natural wave in my hair, but it does nothing for me.

DSCN0362.JPG

Here's where I put the 3 hot sticks on the top of my head. (The hot sticks tend to flop a bit once I hook the ends--maybe I need to perfect my technique.)

DSCN0363.JPG

Here's the side view of the hot sticks placement.

DSCN0365.JPG

And finally the back. (I should of put 3 across on the top but forgot and did 2)

DSCN0369.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum