Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

MissHannah

One Too Many
That sucks when you end up with haircut you hate... but I have to say I think you look gorgeous in that pic! I can't see what's going on with the sides or the back but the centre-parted bang curls really suit you. I suspect that the Dior model in the pic you took in probably has longer hair which is scraped back into a small chignon or french twist.

Annichen

Familiar Face
hailey greenhat said:
It was supposed to look like this
ChristianDior-01.jpg

It ended up like this
Photo6.jpg

The bangs in the BW photo seems to be a bit fuller than yours,like they probably blend in with the rest of the haircut when lose.
Maybe you can adjust it yourself,carefully?
I never go to hairdressers,been there twice and always hated it..
It is almost like they always follow some recipe instead of trying to create what the customer wants??
But I am sure you can with some effort make your hair look like you want:)

Miss Scarlet

One of the Regulars
[/QUOTE]
I never go to hairdressers,been there twice and always hated it..
It is almost like they always follow some recipe instead of trying to create what the customer wants??
[/QUOTE]

I know! I hate the hairdressers! Every time I go I ask them specifically and really emphasize that no hairdresser has done what I've asked, and they still do what they want, not what I want. Poo poos. I think my next hairdressing venture will have to be to Nina's Parlour in London as it seems she might actually cut my hair the way I want it.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
hailey greenhat said:
I. Needless to say i will not be going back to that salon, 95$ for a sad cut is despicable, Ultra Lux shame on you.
If she refused to do what you want and gave you a cut you hate, you shouldn't pay for it. You should have asked to speak with the salon owner or manager. By paying her for a service you weren't happy with, the stylist won't learn that she has to make her client happy. I've been a stylist for 15 years. I've seen other stylists wonder why walk-ins don't come back because the client won't tell them what's wrong. If I were you and it's only been a day or two, call the shop and speak with the owner. Try to get your money back. You shouldn't have to pay for something you're not happy with. As for the cut that you currently have, the bangs in the picture look only a little bit longer than yours. In a week or two, you should be able to set them to get a nice, even curl in front.

hailey greenhat

A-List Customer
kamikat
Stylists are different here in L.A.(or at lest every place i've gone), they sort of badger you into accepting what they've done and tell you thats the closest you'll get to what you want. It was one of the owners working on my hair and unfortunately this place has a reputation for no refunds/ not giving a carps care what the customer thinks, i should have listened to the bad reviews over the exceptional ones, next time i'll know better.

Thank you everyone for the kind remarks if i can make it prettier today i'll post again.

bellabella327

One of the Regulars
I think you sometimes have to be stern with them, especially when you will be the one STUCK with the results!

About a year ago, my mother when in wanting a basic Reese Witherspoon hair cut, and the styling was assuring her that it would not be right for her and suggesting other alternatives. I went in there and told them that this was what she wanted and if they couldn't do what she asked, we would find a stylist that would. They gave her the hair cut she wanted, and afterwards, they were impressed with how good it looked on her.

Sometimes I think it is better to stick to your guns and get what YOU want!

BTW, Hailey I think you look nice, and hopefully in a few weeks once it grows out a bit, you will have what you want!

Mrs Cleaver

One of the Regulars
Crwritt,that looks so lovely!It really suits you,your hair lifted from your face like that makes you look younger too(i'm not saying you look old otherwise just that it brightens your face)
Rocky horror that is just too sweet!Your lipstick looks good on you too:)

GoddessMama

One of the Regulars
hailey greenhat said:
ChristianDior-01.jpg

It ended up like this
Photo6.jpg

I went in wanting a middy or the pic at top, the hair dresser assumed i am low maintenance with my hair and kept telling me "it (the middy) wont look good if you don't fix it every day"....DUH, thats the point? She prettymuch refused to do it saying the shorter cut will be great for days when i don't want to style my hair or "look vintage", she gave me what looks just like a pixie cut with uneven bangs (which is why the curls are different shapes) because its more modern/high fashion, as a salon that touts its self as vintage they suck when it comes to follow through. Needless to say i will not be going back to that salon, 95$ for a sad cut is despicable, Ultra Lux shame on you.
Did you use a credit card? Just dispute the charge as service not provided as described. Let your bank get your money back. The top picture I think it actually an updo with short bangs is it not?

RockyHorror

One of the Regulars
hailey greenhat said:
That is so cute on you! I wish the photo didn't have a watercolor effect though so we could see it better.
Thank you! Ah, I'm sorry my webcam is stupid and I'm still trying to figure it all out.
And thank you to mrs cleaver!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
hailey greenhat said:
kamikat
Stylists are different here in L.A.(or at lest every place i've gone), they sort of badger you into accepting what they've done and tell you thats the closest you'll get to what you want. It was one of the owners working on my hair and unfortunately this place has a reputation for no refunds/ not giving a carps care what the customer thinks, i should have listened to the bad reviews over the exceptional ones, next time i'll know better.

Thank you everyone for the kind remarks if i can make it prettier today i'll post again.
Sorry, hon, stylists aren't different in LA. They're like that everywhere. I just happened to go to a beauty school run by a little old husband and wife team who stressed business/ work ethics. It kills me whenever I hear a story like yours about customers pressured into something they don't want. Newer schools teach student/stylists that cosmetology is an art and they are artists, not that they are providing a service.

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
kamikat said:
Sorry, hon, stylists aren't different in LA. They're like that everywhere. I just happened to go to a beauty school run by a little old husband and wife team who stressed business/ work ethics. It kills me whenever I hear a story like yours about customers pressured into something they don't want. Newer schools teach student/stylists that cosmetology is an art and they are artists, not that they are providing a service.

They can say they're artists all they want and maybe they're right. But the fact of the matter is that it's "commissioned" art and the client should still get what they want. A commercial photographer wouldn't hand over a picture of a bird when they wanted sneakers and say it was just their "vision".

xitsvivx

Familiar Face
hailey greenhat said:
kamikat

no matter where you go, you're going to run into stylists who "badger" .. but then again, there ARE stylists out there who care about what you really want.
Ive worked in smaller salons in smaller towns & even in an upscale salon in San Francisco & I have noticed at least in my experience that the smaller salons I worked at seemed to be more available for what the client wants & needs... but then again, the clientele were completely different too. I know no matter where I work, as a stylist I always make sure to listen to my clients & even after Im finished with the cut I ask the client to be straight forward with me. Is there something you're not liking? You want a lil more off? Blowdry wasnt quite what you wanted? ... it gets a lil annoying sometimes when the client holds back & just says YES I love it!.. and then later I find out they were unhappy. If you're unhappy, SAY SOMETHING.
I think researching where you're going to go is a good idea first off... but also as a client one REally needs to be somewhat stern or maybe as descriptive as possible in what you'd like. Bring in pictures, but dont expect to end up looking exactly like the picture itself. (ive witnessed this many a times as well) Dont bring a picture of JLO thinking you're going to get her exact highlights & cut & then somehow magically the new 'do is going to make you look just like JLO. You may have the exact color & the exact cut.. but not always is that cut & color going to flatter your skin tone, your facial features, your lifestyle. A good stylist should recommend alterations to a style if they dont think a color or cut will not flatter you. They will talk it over with you, it shouldnt be taken as badgering (not always), but more so as trying to accomodate you. Every now & then though, there will be some people that want the bowl cut even though its not a great cut on anyone.. and you just have to give it to them.
As they say "I'm a beautician, not a magician!".

swinggal

One Too Many
hailey greenhat said:
ChristianDior-01.jpg

It ended up like this
Photo6.jpg

I went in wanting a middy or the pic at top, the hair dresser assumed i am low maintenance with my hair and kept telling me "it (the middy) wont look good if you don't fix it every day"....DUH, thats the point? She prettymuch refused to do it saying the shorter cut will be great for days when i don't want to style my hair or "look vintage", she gave me what looks just like a pixie cut with uneven bangs (which is why the curls are different shapes) because its more modern/high fashion, as a salon that touts its self as vintage they suck when it comes to follow through. Needless to say i will not be going back to that salon, 95$ for a sad cut is despicable, Ultra Lux shame on you.

Damn hairdressers! Even I can tell that she has her hair up in the back in that pic, probably in a french roll. People have no clue. They don't get that some people DO want to style their hair each day and should not try and talk them out of it. A pixie cut is still quite cute, try looking at at some Audrey Hepburn pics for styling ideas, she wore side parts quite a lot which I think might suit you.

We have a place called 'Department of Consumer Affairs' here in Australia, (gov run) and if you are really unhappy with a service provider you can call them and the will get your money back or at least give the business a stern warning. I'm sure you might have something similar in the US.

I think you can still be quite creative with what you have Hailey, but yeah, use Audrey and Leslie Caron as your inspiration :) Both gorgeous...as are you :)

AudreyHepburn-pixie.jpg

lesliecaron.jpg

leslie_caron.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy