Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
It goes to show that a little hair color and make-up can make a gal feel better about a bad cut. It looks a bit washed out on my cheap cell phone, but IRL, it's a bright plum. I LOVE it! I also bought a smaller diameter curling iron and I think I like it better.
2250512287_f5c937fd50.jpg

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
Naama said:
I just pincurled them row for row (and that not really that even though it's a mysterie to me... [huh] ) clockwise and brushed them out, that's all I can say...

Naama

It turned out really beautiful. I'm surprised all of the pincurls were clockwise and you still achieved the look. Neat.

StellaLuna

New in Town
Okay, here goes...

This set was done with pin curls rolled toward my face. I used Lottabody, rolled it wet and slept in it. This was my second attempt with this type of setting and if I remember correctly I had 7 - 9 curls pinned flat with bobby pins.
When I first brushed it out I looked like a werewolf woman, but with some coaxing I was able to achieve this...
pincurl2.jpg

and here is another angle...
pincurl1.jpg

The set held well and I am encouraged to keep playing with it! :D

~*Red*~

Practically Family
You guys are killing me!!!:eusa_doh: lol 7-9 pincurls laid flat and it looks so great! You couldn't get 7-9 pincurls on one side of my head.lol

Stellaluna, it really looks very nice.. good soft waves.

And Naama, your waves are awesome! You are all making me want to cut my hair again. And thin it out like crazy.

Kamikat, I adore you with that length of hair. and when you had it to just below chin length.. inbetween there, it looks so good with your face! And you're making me want to dye my hair too!! I have serious hair envy going on right now.:( lol

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
~*Red*~ said:
Kamikat, I adore you with that length of hair. and when you had it to just below chin length.. inbetween there, it looks so good with your face! And you're making me want to dye my hair too!! I have serious hair envy going on right now.:( lol

Thanks!
I'm hooked on a new product. I was worried because my hair is previously colored and highlighted, then permed. That perm stripped out all my red. I happened to be in Target and found a demi-perm color mouse called L'oreal Color Pulse. It says it lasts 8-10 shampoos, but you know, on damaged hair, it will probably last longer. I used the chilled plum because that's all my Target had, but it comes in fun colors like a bright orange, a cherry, various "natural" colors, as well. It smells great and made my hair nice and soft.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
kamikat said:
Thanks!
I'm hooked on a new product. I was worried because my hair is previously colored and highlighted, then permed. That perm stripped out all my red. I happened to be in Target and found a demi-perm color mouse called L'oreal Color Pulse. It says it lasts 8-10 shampoos, but you know, on damaged hair, it will probably last longer. I used the chilled plum because that's all my Target had, but it comes in fun colors like a bright orange, a cherry, various "natural" colors, as well. It smells great and made my hair nice and soft.

OOh! I love that stuff!!! I think I have one of the chilled plums in my stash somewhere.. I mostly still have the red pulse. That was my favorite. The Cherry one is really pretty, I used it on my friend, totally virgin hair, and you couldn't see it too much (level 4 hair), but in the sun.. WOO!!!!!!!!! So pretty!
And isn't it amazing how soft it is, how easy to use and how nice it smells? Man, all this new goody stuff, your husband must be thinking, "Damn, look at my fine little lady I have here!" lol :D

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
~*Red*~ said:
OOh! I love that stuff!!! I think I have one of the chilled plums in my stash somewhere.. I mostly still have the red pulse. That was my favorite. The Cherry one is really pretty, I used it on my friend, totally virgin hair, and you couldn't see it too much (level 4 hair), but in the sun.. WOO!!!!!!!!! So pretty!
And isn't it amazing how soft it is, how easy to use and how nice it smells? Man, all this new goody stuff, your husband must be thinking, "Damn, look at my fine little lady I have here!" lol :D

:D From the looks and comments from our circle of friends, he just complains about having to hire a bodyguard the next time we go to a big convention :D

Where else can you get Color Pulse? I want to try the Cherry. The other Target near me had only the black, in addition to the plum. I haven't found it at CVS or the local grocery chains.

Miss Dexeter

New in Town
Can anyone give me some tips on achieving fingerwaves without the use of the wave clips (I can't get them over here it seems :eek:/)

I've been trawling through these pages for ages now, and I did find posts about the clips, and a link to fingerwave techniques, but I really can't get my head around how it works.

My hair is ridiculously straight and rather thin (though there is a lot of it). If I curl it, it looks fluffy, plus I had it cut into a 20s style bob the other day, so curling is out of the question now!!

Ho hum.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
kamikat said:
:D From the looks and comments from our circle of friends, he just complains about having to hire a bodyguard the next time we go to a big convention :D

Where else can you get Color Pulse? I want to try the Cherry. The other Target near me had only the black, in addition to the plum. I haven't found it at CVS or the local grocery chains.

Do you have a Long's Drugs? At the one here they have the biggest selection of colors. Sometimes I find them on ebay too, and they end occasionally up being cheaper even with shipping than buying them at the store.

Let me know if you can't find any. I can pick some up for you!:D

Ms. McGraw

One of the Regulars
Johanna, I just have to ask...Do you ever NOT look like a million bucks?!? You and your hair look beautiful as always! :) I love the bow/pony tail combo! Is it tied in or a barrette?

Johanna

One of the Regulars
Ms. McGraw said:
Johanna, I just have to ask...Do you ever NOT look like a million bucks?!? You and your hair look beautiful as always! :) I love the bow/pony tail combo! Is it tied in or a barrette?

:D Thank you! The ribbon wasn't long enough to actually tie on so I just made a bow and attached it wit a bobby pin.

CassD

One of the Regulars
Help, please

Hi, I'm new to the Fedora Lounge and I've been kind of glancing through this thread. All the pictures look fantastic. You're all very beautiful. I've run into a slight snag while attempting some 40's looks with my hair. I've been told by a stylist that my hair is four times as thick as the average person. In addition to that, it's really wavy and tends to get super frizzy no matter how much moisterizing I do (I just found out that naturally wavy or curly hair is also naturally dry). I've attempted pin curls, but my hair just poofs out like an 80's hairstyle gone horribly wrong and the victory rolls turn out more like victory flops because my hair is too heavy. Is there a setting gel or cream that someone might be able to recomend that might help a bit? Also, I live in the UK right now, so I was wondering if anyone might know where I would be able to get those pillow rollers out here.

~Cassie

Josephine

One Too Many
CassD said:
...it's really wavy and tends to get super frizzy no matter how much moisterizing I do (I just found out that naturally wavy or curly hair is also naturally dry).

I would recommend picking up Curly Girl, The Handbook by Lorraine Massey. Curly hair does need moisture, and washing with conditioner only is the best way, IMO, to keep your curls from going frizzy. I condition only wash, and before henna smoothed out my curls, it was amazing how they improved on CO.

The Curly Girl Page is a good starting point before you get the book (it's run by the Young Ladies Christian Fellowship, and has no official standing with Ms. Massey). I really recommend the CO method. :)

Ada Veen

Practically Family
CassD said:
victory rolls turn out more like victory flops because my hair is too heavy.

~Cassie

HI Cassie, my friend has super thick hair and her rolls tend to be better than mine (thin hair :( ) I'd recommend trying to make them slightly conical, so they are thinner on the bottom than the top, and use lots of pins, and before you do them maybe tong or hotbrush your hair so the curl 'goes' in the direction of the roll.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Cassie, as AdaVeen says, your hair should be even better for rolls, you just need to nail your technique! Also, with extremely wavy hair you should have no need for pin curls, if you can tame them. I have curly friends that swear by the Lorraine Massey technique/conditioner-only washes that Josephine mentions.

You can buy sponge rollers in an array of sizes in Tescos, or they sell one size (a good size) in Wilkinsons for about 79p for 6. I think even boots and superdrug do them. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart