Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

16_sparrows

Vendor
One thing I find really tricky is pinning curls so the pin doesn't how, as seen with the pics Belaqua posted of Kidman's hair. How does one do that without losing the shape of the curl and hiding the pin?

Joli7211

Familiar Face
16_sparrows said:
One thing I find really tricky is pinning curls so the pin doesn't how, as seen with the pics Belaqua posted of Kidman's hair. How does one do that without losing the shape of the curl and hiding the pin?

My guess is that she has a number of bobby pins holding the foundation of the pin curl, then from what I can see some discretly placed hairpins to hold the air down in the curl.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
WOW, great hairdo's and advice given the last few days! :eusa_clap

Joli, you're right. That's how I do curls like Nicole's anyway... a bobby pin for the main grip, and then hairpins to hold the entire curl in place.
I only see one bobby pin on Nicole's, but there are stylists on standby to fix anything while shooting. If you were to wear this hairstyle *for real*, you'd hafta use the hairpins.
Nikki

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Here's more on the Godlen Compass hair.. Ruby's great wig and such,
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=23713&page=4

I know I've posted this before but cannot find where we talked about Nicole's hair previously!
Anyhoo.. here's my sister's hair I did for prom years ago pinning the curls that way,
620727529_b4acc5e31d_o.jpg

620727577_a0c2605b98_o.jpg

620727631_ba60359e9a.jpg

Same method here only a do with some heigth(Sp?)
The curls on top are pinned to the curls below using hairpins. She had a chin length bob at the time, that was a doosie to get up in back!
620748237_ef08a012ba_o.jpg

all of the pearls are set on hairpins
620748365_c8ff8e6324.jpg

pamina

Familiar Face
Belaqua said:
Hello everyone! I read this particular thread from beginning to end while waiting for my account to be accepted, and now I can finally post! Everyone's hair looks great, it's nice to know there's others out there that like vintage looks!

Have you girls seen Nicole Kidman's hair in the move The Golden Compass? It was absolutely divine!

Nicole.jpg
Nicole2.jpg

Nicole3.jpg

Nicole4.jpg
Poster2.jpg

have you seen her in "the others" ??? that was amazing !!!
Others03.jpg

_1630466_kidman300.jpg

bild_0_0.jpg

Sunny

One Too Many
16_sparrows said:

I'd also use small pins. I found them at Sally's, and they're maybe just over 1" long. Definitely smaller than regular pins. I love to use them to pin little bits of hair or tweak the shape of a roll, since they only hold a little bit and are light and delicate enough not to tug or show.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I can't beleive I'm about to post this after what I've just seen here! No way does this compare. [huh] Oh well, I did this today.

l_a411f2dac4c17540cceb12313711e69a.jpg

Lo, I need a face heart stat!

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
pink, you look cute! i love the way rolls look with a bleached streak. apparently that was a schoolgirl fad in the 40s.

hopefully i'll post pics later... i've gone through two hairstyles today! the first one ate it after about 5 hours, so i switched it up (in the school restroom, with two bobbypins and no hairspray) and it's still lookin' good!

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
ShooShooBaby said:
hopefully i'll post pics later... i've gone through two hairstyles today! the first one ate it after about 5 hours, so i switched it up (in the school restroom, with two bobbypins and no hairspray) and it's still lookin' good!

Ooh I want to see, your hair always looks so cute!

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
ok, so of course i got NO good pictures of the second hairdo/hair-fix! but here is what it looked like for the first half of the day:

2262129806_d73a9bf855_o.jpg

that front roll was tricky as hell - my bangs are growing out, so half the hair it's made out of is about half the length of the rest of it. once it's grown out it'll be super-easy. all i did was throw about 8 of my hotsticks in my hair, curl the front short pieces with a curling iron to give them some bend, pin up the sides, and roll that front section forward and secure with two pins. it even stood up to running for the bus this morning! :D it took me about 5 min to put the curlers in, 5 to do the roll, 2 to tear the curlers out and run my fingers through them, and 1 to take a couple pictures. sorry i didn't get better angles. anyway, i feel like it passed as an authentic everyday 40s hairstyle, which is what i was going for. in any case, i got HELLA compliments so i guess it was acceptable.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
You're beautiful!!!!! It's a fabulous 'do!!:eusa_clap

:eek:fftopic: You wouldn't by chance be from the Norcal area..some time in your life???? (Referencing the "hella" comment... lol ;) ) Besides I keep thinking you look incredibly familiar.....

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
~*Red*~ said:
You're beautiful!!!!! It's a fabulous 'do!!:eusa_clap

:eek:fftopic: You wouldn't by chance be from the Norcal area..some time in your life???? (Referencing the "hella" comment... lol ;) ) Besides I keep thinking you look incredibly familiar.....

thank you!! i'm actually from southern california. i originally started saying "hella" because it was funny and it bugged my friends, and then it stuck. i'lve always thought you look familiar too, though...

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Pink Dahlia said:
I can't beleive I'm about to post this after what I've just seen here! No way does this compare. [huh] Oh well, I did this today.

l_a411f2dac4c17540cceb12313711e69a.jpg

Lo, I need a face heart stat!
Ah, thats cute! I can never get a good single roll, I wind up getting mad and saying forget it and going down all the way.lol

pretty faythe

One Too Many
This is what I decided to play with after I got off work today. Got up waaaaaaay to early and was waaaaaaay to tired to do anything at all, not even the semi quazy lazy rolls I usually do, just had a pony tail all day.
The longer hair is making a better roll now, just needs bunches of pins and hair spray lol

goofy028.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80