Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
well i'm flattered...

both hairdos look great, snookie! honestly, the little front roll is a tactic for dealing with my growing-out bangs! is that the dress you made for the air-raid? post a full pic so we can see it!

please also post a comb how-to... it's completely trial-and-error for me so i'd love to read one and figure out how to do it right. :)

Johanna

One of the Regulars
My hair looks like this today.

2343614652_9526ba3e35_o.jpg

2343614336_86013a3edc_o.jpg

lyburnum

Practically Family
My sister pulled me in to do a vertical roll today, as she's got an assessment on Thursday. I was pretty impressed with the results!

IMG_0040.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg
IMG_0050.jpg

Her boss has asked her to do it again on me on April 14th for a photoshoot they're having at the salon, and I have to dress up like Audrey Hepburn :rolleyes: so I will post pictures when they are done!

MissS

A-List Customer
Audrey Horne - the curls are beautiful! Heated curling thingamajigs don't work for my hair, so I'm jealous. If I need a bit more height, I always flip my hair upside down, spray, then flip back over. Or a little bit of back-combing where required.

Snookie - so beautiful! I'm yet to attempt rolls, but you and ShooShooBaby have inspired me!

Johanna - h?§rligt som alltid!

lyburnum - so elegant! Wish that I had a sister who could do my hair for me!

Adele

One of the Regulars
My most humble thanks to dani, olive_bleu, CassD, Red, ShortClara, dollydaydream, and deadpandiva. I truly do appreciate the kind words.

Zaika- I like your wave!
AudreyHorne- I like the wave on the left side, near your jaw area.
Snookie- You look great! Especially in the blue dress.
Johanna- I don't know if I've said this before, but your hair looks really soft. Very healthy looking indeed.
Lyburnum- Wow is all I can say.

Adele

One of the Regulars
I decided I'd do a sort of tutorial on how I do my waves (which still need practice, but doesn't hurt to share the little I do know!):

I use lottabody setting lotion and my vintage wave clips (I only have three! Haha, I need more!).

I should also note that technically, it's on the right side- I probably should have taken the photos with the lens looking into the mirror).

With setting lotion already distributed in the section, I begin with combing the section prior to the first ridge in a backwards "c" sort of manner:
Step1.jpg

I then pull it forward with my comb:
Step2.jpg

Following with, well, frankly, I don't know how to word this:
Step3.jpg

Step4.jpg

Once I feel like I have the ridge I desire, I try to grab it with my fingers like so (this has taken practice and patience):
Step5.jpg

I then remove the comb sideways, and insert the wave clip:
Step6.jpg

Once in place, I start on the wave part by making a "c" and pulling it opposite to the other:
Step7.jpg

Repeat previous steps and voila, there is one official wave:
Step8.jpg

Step9.jpg

Now, mind you, I did this today with semi-dry hair in a hurry, thus why it looks sloppy and loose, but I hope it's neat enough where to it helps explain how I do it so.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Very nice tutorial Adele! This makes sense of how you would get those nice ridges and yet still have a wave in between them. I have one question, if you wouldn't mind...:eek:

When you "pinch" the ridge, are you lifting the comb up and bringing up all the hair or just angling the comb up?

Thanks!

Adele

One of the Regulars
I lift it up, hair and all, though I try my best to lift it up as little as possible because I don't want to overlift the ridge. If that makes any sense. I'm so horrible at describing things at times, really.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Adele said:
I lift it up, hair and all, though I try my best to lift it up as little as possible because I don't want to overlift the ridge. If that makes any sense. I'm so horrible at describing things at times, really.
No, I get exactly what you are saying. Thanks again! You do such a great job at it! I've never tried it doing that way, I can't wait to experiment. :D

Mary

Practically Family
Thanks Adele. I've tried doing waves but never really succeded. Maybe this time!

SaraLouise. Have you posted your pageboy-tutorial? I'm longing for it!

I'd also like to ask you ladies what bristle brush you use. Iv'e found round ones and those looking like a normal paddle brush. Do they work just as well on curls?

I'm also wondering about you putting hairspray and then brushing your curls. Doesn't your hair break when doing that? Or maybe it doesn't when you have a bristle brush.

M

MissHannah

One Too Many
OOOH! That's great Adele - you've really illustrated well how it's done. I'll give it a try very soon. My hair never looks anything like as smooth as yours to start with though, even when it's wet. How wet is your hair when you do it?

MissHannah

One Too Many
lyburnum said:
My sister pulled me in to do a vertical roll today, as she's got an assessment on Thursday. I was pretty impressed with the results!
IMG_0050.jpg

Her boss has asked her to do it again on me on April 14th for a photoshoot they're having at the salon, and I have to dress up like Audrey Hepburn :rolleyes: so I will post pictures when they are done!

That looks utterly AMAZING!! That's the kind of updo I would love to be able to master. And you do look very Audrey... I'm sure you'll have masses of fun at the photoshoot - dressing up as Miss Hepburn for the day, it's a hard life!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy