Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

Laura Chase

One Too Many
zendy said:
OhLaura, that's to die for! Are the handles and lock face Bakelite?

I'm not an expert, and not very good at telling different types of plastic apart from each other. It's definitely the original plastic that's still on there. Can any of you other ladies see if it's bakelite?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Laura Chase said:
I'm not an expert, and not very good at telling different types of plastic apart from each other. It's definitely the original plastic that's still on there. Can any of you other ladies see if it's bakelite?

The only tests for the plastics all involve -being- in the same room as the plastic, can't really be done from a picture.

And since there were different 'popular plastics' in Europe then in the States..it could be any number of types...all period...so I don't really think it matters -which-...hehe

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
The only tests for the plastics all involve -being- in the same room as the plastic, can't really be done from a picture.

And since there were different 'popular plastics' in Europe then in the States..it could be any number of types...all period...so I don't really think it matters -which-...hehe

Hopefully some day I'll learn how to see it, it's fun to know! Other than that it doesn't matter, no. :)

Oh and SayCici, really impressive finds there! This one looks really interesting, is it just a blouse or the upper part of a dress?

3645149285_705216fdcb.jpg

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Laura Chase said:

Rub with your finger it till it's hot from friction. If it smells strongly of chemicals it's probably bakelite.

SayCici

Practically Family
Laura Chase said:
Oh and SayCici, really impressive finds there! This one looks really interesting, is it just a blouse or the upper part of a dress?

3645149285_705216fdcb.jpg
I believe it is actually the top part of a pair of pajamas, as it has matching pants (baggy with a drawstring type of waist). It's really nice! Below the yellow 'buttons' it opens, and the pants are high-waisted to counter that. :]

zendy

A-List Customer
Thrift store score

I went thrift shopping and got some great items this afternoon. I got these two pairs of pantaloons for a buck a piece! They'll be perfect for riding my bike in dresses and skirts this summer! I also found an nice navy and white leaf print dress that I think might be 60's does 40's. I'll post a pic of that tomorrow when I wear it out.
2009_0621spatsnblatz0015.jpg

SayCici

Practically Family
3654970786_70ca08d69e.jpg

rr86dc.jpg

I *had* to have this hat when I saw it. Unfortunately, it's slowly been setting in that it doesn't look all that great on me. I think I'll post it in the classifieds!

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I just ordered these glasses.. have to wait to get the glasses for them though, but I love them!! Their shape is perfect and I have wanted a black pair for ages! They have a big pearl on each hinge.. beautiful and simple!! Don't mind the crappy standard plastic lenses and the obligatory brand sticker on the lense..

23062009100.jpg

my inspiration..

spirit.jpg

SayCici

Practically Family
La Julia said:
You found that at a thrift store, great finds!
I really like the 3rd one
I've been mysteriously lucky lately! I usually never find anything but I got a strong urge yesterday to go, and voila! Haha.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Those are so cute! I love your photo, too.
I also got the thrift store urge today, and found quite a few things, but what I got for myself were two little dresses just like this- the one pictured and another in white. They're probably from the 90's, but they're the closest I've found to vintage sarongs in a thrift store, and they're a super soft rayon.
hawaiian4.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic