Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Lovely dress Faith - very glam!

I got this dress the other day - I love the bow detailing and the fact that the rest of the dress is so plain - I just hope it doesn't look too "wedding-y" but I reckon with the right accessories it shouldn't:

il_570xN_293134156.jpg

This peach dress - again very plain but I like that!

il_570xN_133629945.jpg

il_570xN_133630337.jpg

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Usually dresses like this in a larger size (this is a 40 bust) are way out of my budget. It's so pretty *swoon*

Just gorgeous, and I know what you mean- I am a little bit smaller- about a 36- but even that is considered 'large' in vintage sizing, and because of my hips (40in) I normally end up having to buy dresses that are several inches too big in the bust. It's always good to have breathing room and tbh they look better than something too tight!

Chrome and grey leatherette box purse with tortoise lucite handle- probably 60s or 70s as opposed to 50s but it was super cheap and probably sturdier- a less costly chrome and lucite fix! It looks a bit like a case/toolbox but when you take into account its tininess (4in by 8in) I think it'll look more elegant in real life.
il_570xN.278490603.jpg

Last edited:

wahine

Practically Family
MissG, you'll look fabulous in those, as usual!
You got sort of a unique style, I just opened the thread and started looking for new stuff from the bottom - when I saw your pix, I knew it was your posting before I even saw your name or avatar, can you believe it.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
MissG, you'll look fabulous in those, as usual!
You got sort of a unique style, I just opened the thread and started looking for new stuff from the bottom - when I saw your pix, I knew it was your posting before I even saw your name or avatar, can you believe it.

Thank you Wahine - that's a really lovely compliment! :) I think it has taken me some time (dare I say a few years!) to try to pin down my style and what that is and how I want to look - I've bought many lovely things that sadly, when worn, I just thought "Lovely as it is, it's not me" - I said in a previous post that I am moving away from circle skirts and leaning more towards shift/sheath dresses - I think they suit my shape better - so finally I think I am getting somewhere!!!!!!!

wahine

Practically Family
It's great that you've gotten so far concerning what's "you"! I'm not even halfway there, but then I just started wearing vintage a little more than a year ago. I have a few things in my wardrobe that won't stay there long. But I'm not really sure which :D Who knows when I'll be able to separate the sheep from the goats. Right now, I can't wear most of my vintage wardrobe because I lost so much weight and still don't know if I should alter more than just a few basic items.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Well I've been buying vintage since around 2003 so it's taken me a while to "separate the sheep from the goats" as you say!!!! :)

If a lot of your wardrobe doesn't fit I would only take the pieces I adore to the tailor as it's so expensive to get things taken in/out and leave the things you are not so sure about for the time being - until you're sure whether you love them or not.

MissLaurieMarie

One of the Regulars
Just gorgeous, and I know what you mean- I am a little bit smaller- about a 36- but even that is considered 'large' in vintage sizing, and because of my hips (40in) I normally end up having to buy dresses that are several inches too big in the bust. It's always good to have breathing room and tbh they look better than something too tight!

Chrome and grey leatherette box purse with tortoise lucite handle- probably 60s or 70s as opposed to 50s but it was super cheap and probably sturdier- a less costly chrome and lucite fix! It looks a bit like a case/toolbox but when you take into account its tininess (4in by 8in) I think it'll look more elegant in real life.
il_570xN.278490603.jpg

Love it! I love the pairing of chrome and tortoise - very beautiful.

Thank you Wahine - that's a really lovely compliment! :) I think it has taken me some time (dare I say a few years!) to try to pin down my style and what that is and how I want to look - I've bought many lovely things that sadly, when worn, I just thought "Lovely as it is, it's not me" - I said in a previous post that I am moving away from circle skirts and leaning more towards shift/sheath dresses - I think they suit my shape better - so finally I think I am getting somewhere!!!!!!!

Good for you! I think having a concrete personal style is so very important - it's like a company brand or identity. Having a personal style that you identify with will just make you more confident and beautiful!

On that note, I don't have any circle skirts but would love one, so if you need to find a good home... ;)

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Good for you! I think having a concrete personal style is so very important - it's like a company brand or identity. Having a personal style that you identify with will just make you more confident and beautiful!

On that note, I don't have any circle skirts but would love one, so if you need to find a good home... ;)

I completely agree with you - confidence is key to carrying off any look - you just know someone who is comfortable in their skin - it's just something they radiate.

I just put up pretty much all my circle skirts for sale in my Etsy shop (msgolightlyvintage) so please pop over and have a gander! ;)

I hope it's ok for me to name my shop in this thread - if not I'll remove it!

Last edited:

Faith Rudd

New in Town

If I actually take a tape measure around my bust, I'm 43" there (I'm quite busty) but I usually wear things that are 40-42" and it doesn't really cause any major problems. My boobs are mystifying! I usually have to go tighter in the bust because my waist is proportionately small (32" which equates to a size 40" bust in terms of sizing). This is why I make so many of my clothes, I get to make sure I have ample boob space AND that things fit snugly on the waist. Hurrah!

I think having a concrete personal style is so very important - it's like a company brand or identity. Having a personal style that you identify with will just make you more confident and beautiful!

I think this is the hardest thing! Especially when you're new to wearing vintage - pretty much everything seems exciting and beautiful and it's difficult sometimes to stop and think 'does this actually suit me? Does it go with other things I own? Will I wear it?'. I too am new to wearing genuine vintage but I think I've been relatively good at ignoring things that were never ever going to suit me. I am not going to be able to wear things with ruffles and flounces, nor am I a flowery, pretty, cutesy kind of girl. I suppose that meant I was always going to cling to the mid 40s! Smooth lines and little fuss, that's my idea of good style, for my body at least.

Last edited:

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Faith - I'm SOOOOO glad to read that someone else has this! I measure 36 1/2" round my bust, but I have a very small underbust measurement, and find I often easily fit into garments that measure 34". That's not FOR a 34" bust, but just the garment measures that! I am smaller in the waist (26") and hip (36") than the standard sizing used even in the 1930s for a 36" bust. It just doesn't and shouldn't make sense!

For years I used to buy garments that measured 36" or slightly larger only to wonder why the darned things didn't fit that well. Once I realised and bought smaller, it's been fine. And I find that using a 34" bust pattern from the 1930s I still have to take it in slightly. 32" is ok but I need to add a tiny bit to the hip since the style tends to be very slim skirts.

Just had to say, as it's always puzzled me and I wondered if anyone else had the same issue!

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Okay, I promise I will stop spamming this thread. But this just about trumps everything vintage I've ever bought (apart from one or two things ;)).

Vintage bonnet dryer and nail salon/dryer. I'm guessing 50s or no later than early 60s. In my favorite color and color combination (pale turquoise-blue, and gold). Mint condition, probably unused. Original tags and all parts present and working. With matching case. $30.
il_570xN.258141954.jpg

The only complaint I have is that I'll only be able to use it while I'm in the US- predictably I couldn't find any that were dual voltage/UK made, and frankly I'm too scared to plug a 50-60 y/o, irreplaceable appliance into a converter! So once I get home it'll just be for display. Sigh... although I think you'll agree, it's a lot prettier than most! It seems so glamorous compared to the boring black handheld things we have today!

more pics here for the interested! http://www.etsy.com/listing/78111677.

Last edited:

Faith Rudd

New in Town
I absolutely adore sweetheart pins and I've never been able to find one that was a) British and b) not insanely expensive. But I won this! Yay!

$(KGrHqFHJC8E7y3)O)9)BPDDnNHj1w~~60_12.JPG

I think this may have started a mania in me. I need a RAF pin

wahine

Practically Family
I was looking for a German how-to to take to my hairdresser practically forever. Now, just got two hair and beauty books from the fifties.

"The work of the hairdresser" is a book for professionals which means a lot of it is neither understandable nor helpful to me. But some of it is very interesting and some information on setting curls might be useful. Still, it's not what I hoped for because it only deals with short hairstyles when I was looking for a long Middy or Femme fatale how-to.

The other one, "ABC of cosmetics" is for the layman or rather laywoman. Telling everything from how to keep your body fit to make-up, hair and clothing, it is really a rich source of information. Although it has little step-by-step instructions, it will certainly help me to improve my vintage styling.

"Fashion through the centuries"

kymeratale

One of the Regulars
Thrift store scores!

Wow, did I ever hit the jackpost at Value Village today. Two kilts, a wool cape/swing coat, a Harris tweed sport coat and a wool vintage looking suit. Check it out. (Apologies, the focus on the full length ones is fuzzy, I used my tripod and everything. Hmph. Oh, and no vintage hair today.) Now to figure out how to style all this to get a vintage look.

The cape is navy and the hood and collar facings are a lovely green and blue plaid. The detail doesn't show that well, but it is quite swishy! $15

IMG_1916.jpg

This and the next kilt were $8. You can't really see the detail, but they are both lovely straight up kilts.

IMG_1903.jpg

IMG_1896.jpg

This one came with a kilt pin!

IMG_1920.jpg

It was made for a Mrs. Beres at Richardson's Tartan shop on Yonge St. in Toronto.

IMG_1941.jpg

A Harris tweed sport coat for $15? Yes please! Made for a short fellow with short arms, it doesn't need any altering for my petite size arms.

IMG_1935.jpg

Perfect colours for an autumn like me.

IMG_1930.jpg

The Harris tweed label. Need to post over in the gents section to see if anyone can date it.

IMG_1939.jpg

My favourite from a great haul is this modern but decidedly vintage looking wool suit for $20. it is from a UK company called Precis Petite. If you are on that side of the pond, I would totally check them out. If they make stuff like this, it is likely they have other things that would fit in a vintage styles wardrobe. Again, the detail isn't great, but it fits me like a glove. (It's hubby's fav too.)

IMG_1894.jpg

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Wow, Miss Golightly! That dress is absolutely to die for!

Thank you! Someone else was selling the same dress on Etsy but it was littered with moth holes - so disappointing! So imagine my delight when I saw this one!

Kymeratale - well done on your haul - and I have to agree with your husband - the Precis Petite suit is fabulous!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy