Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

LaMedicine

One Too Many
CherryRed said:
Fabulous hats!
I got a new vanity chair and a pattern.
The chair needs to have it's seat recovered but I love it!
4546083940_32888150bc.jpg
The fabric's design looks like a Japanese pattern--bamboos, bellflowers and pampas grass? from the angle, which means the fabric could originally have come from Japan. If it's brocade, it probably is silk. It looks like Japonesque influence on Art Deco.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Kate O Potato said:
I've just had a capelet arrive from Able Grable. I was kindly sent an extra clasp in case I wanted to change it too. Why are vintage ladies all so lovely? I've never encountered such a kind and supportive group of women before! Reading your posts to each other makes me smile so much :)

Anyway, the capelet!

P100423_171703.jpg

Suggestions for styling my hair would be appreciated too! I have an appointment with a retro hair stylist next week (Miss Betty at It's Something Hells in Carnaby, if anyone is familiar with the salon) and I need ideas of what to ask her for. My hair is the length you see, very fine and extremely straight. I'm having my hair styled for a night at the theatre on my birthday and I'm really stuck for ideas because of the length... Thanks ladies xx

I have the same capelet - looks lovely on you!

I've never been to Miss Betty, but I know plenty who have. She can work miracles on hair of any length! A friend with a bob about your length had a lovely updo with mini rolls and curls done by her. I'd say just ask her for suggestions - she seems to know her stuff.

The original fabric on that chair is amazing! Try and salvage it if you can. It reminds me of my grandparents 1930s sofa.

LaMedicine said:
The fabric's design looks like a Japanese pattern--bamboos, bellflowers and pampas grass? from the angle, which means the fabric could originally have come from Japan. If it's brocade, it probably is silk. It looks like Japonesque influence on Art Deco.

I honestly don't think this is the original fabric. It is like a velor and looks to be from the 1980's. I think It has already been recovered, that is why I want to change it.

Edit: THIS is the original fabric. It still has the old rusted staples in it. It is a pink and blue floral tapestry. Since it is so terribly stained I am going to attempt to clean it and see what happens before I recover it.
4547610225_44cf62ba74.jpg

crazydaisy

Practically Family
swinggal that blouse is too gorgeous for words! enjoy wearing it!
i am still on the look or something like that but not in peach, since peach likes to challenge me a bit too much ;)

MaryMary

One of the Regulars
sixsexsix said:
There are a couple places in Kensington that are good - King of Kensington is probably my fave. Cabaret on Queen W has a great, well picked selection, but you're going to be paying more. Check out their basement though where you can usually find good deals. Stella Luna on Queen W near Roncesvalles is also pretty good, and if you're looking for something specific just ask and they might have it in the back (I got some great 40s pumps for about $30 this way). Gadabout is great, not super cheap, but the store is jam packed with awesome stuff. I've also found ok stuff at Bungalow in Kensington Market.

Other than those, most the vintage shops sell 70s stuff now, so you really have to hunt. Good luck!

Don't think I have checked out King of Kensington...I've only been to Exile, and Second Chance, both of their stores. Yes, Cabaret is gorgeous, but you are right, the prices can be a little high.

I also checked out Gadabout for the first time...wow is it ever packed with great stuff! But once again, some of the prices are high. I did purchase a really gorgeous early 50's dress with a matching jacket. It has the cutest butterfly print on it! It was silk too, and in great condition. I paid $120, which isn't bad since it was silk and had both its jacket and the matching belt...I could have spent a few more thousand in there though!

MaryMary

One of the Regulars
CherryRed said:
I honestly don't think this is the original fabric. It is like a velor and looks to be from the 1980's. I think It has already been recovered, that is why I want to change it.

Edit: THIS is the original fabric. It still has the old rusted staples in it. It is a pink and blue floral tapestry. Since it is so terribly stained I am going to attempt to clean it and see what happens before I recover it.
4547610225_44cf62ba74.jpg

I absolutely love that moment when you pull off the newer fabric from an antique chair to discover the original underneath! I don't know why I find it so exciting, but I really do...lol!

Gorgeous fabric, and chair!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Here is my hair after using my new clips. I LOVE them! I had been trying to get small waves and couldn't do it not matter what I tried. These clips do it for you. All I did was spray a little water and comb straight. These clips do the actually waving for you. Now I just need to find a couple more for the other side of my head.
4553889467_75e9a3f0b1.jpg

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I was just leaving the shopping centre when I saw this blouse in the window of Hobbs and just had to go back and try it on - it was more than I have ever paid for a blouse but it's so lovely on it would have been criminal to leave it behind!:

HobbsBlouse.jpg

Kate O Potato

A-List Customer
Miss Golightly, that blouse is gorgeous! I've got a bit of a soft spot for Hobbs, although I always end up waiting 6 months for the sale to come around when I see something I like. I got a gorgeous 1940s-esque silk dress for £39 back in February because the sale stuff stays online even when the sale has ended in store. Now I'm tempted to have a look...

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Kate O Potato said:
Miss Golightly, that blouse is gorgeous! I've got a bit of a soft spot for Hobbs, although I always end up waiting 6 months for the sale to come around when I see something I like. I got a gorgeous 1940s-esque silk dress for £39 back in February because the sale stuff stays online even when the sale has ended in store. Now I'm tempted to have a look...

Thank you Kate! It's the first thing I have ever bought in Hobbs but I have to say that I loved so many things I saw - I had to make a quick exit out of the shop!

I didn't know that you could shop online - think I'll have to take a quick look too and see what they've got!!!!!!!

crazydaisy

Practically Family
Hobbs sell quality clothing and some of it is vintage inspired. Of course now is all that 60's nonsense :)o 60s lovers to forgive me). However they have currently a pair of high waisted linen trousers, turn ups and what have you, they look great. There's always something good in there. Can't afford it though.

BoPeep

Practically Family
So how could I resist this Pepto-Bismol colored coat?? It's mint and fits perfect for $5 at the thrift store. My hubby just raised his eyebrows, "Well, if you like it . . " Oh yes, I do! lol

IMG_2225.jpg

Inky

One Too Many
i love it BoPeep!

My "everyday" winter (well, as close to winter as we get here in california) is a BRIGHT pink coat with 4 incredible multi-colored rhinestone buttons. It's so loud it drowns out my red hair - but i love it and it's my go-to coat when I'm in dressed down in jeans and tops.

and hubby's a smart guy, lol.

poggleberry

One of the Regulars
Swinggal - beautiful blouse, very pretty colour.
Cherry Red - Your chairs lovely, good luck with the restoration.
KamiKat - I'm on the look out for those wave makers, they've done such a great job of waving your hair.

Some purchases from the car boot on Sunday.
Fabric and patterns (£4.00) found after rummaging through bags on a house clearance stall. I was in my element, I don't think anyone else could be bothered to scrat around, my gain. There's around 15 metre's of fabric.
The last 3 1970's pattern were from another stall holder bought for 30p each.
CIMG3066.jpg

CIMG3070.jpg

CIMG3069.jpg

CIMG3071.jpg

CIMG3072.jpg

CIMG3073.jpg

BoPeep

Practically Family
Thanks, inky and cherry lips - I'll make sure to tell my husband that I'm not the only one who's drawn to BRIGHT! lol And poggleberry - what a great find! I adore vintage fabric although that 35" width business can be frustrating.

Kate O Potato

A-List Customer
Christy said:
I got the Wicked Lady dress from Able Grable in the mail last week. It's so pretty and it fits perfectly. I ordered it from her when she had her haggle weekend special. I'm thinking I might wear it for commencement in June.
http://www.ablegrable.com/dress/view/wicked_lady

Christy, I absolutely adore Able Grable. I recieved my Ann Darrow in an emerald colour about a month ago, but as it's a birthday present, I can't have it until Friday. So frustrating!
Do you have any photos? Did you get it in a specific colour or the floral pattern?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot