Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your sailor uniforms!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Awwww!!!! Mojave, you're so cute!
And thanks everyone! We can't take credit for owning the suits (although I do own a suit and a pair of wool pants like Trickeration, who looks adorable, btw) but I'm really getting a kick out of this thread! Both my grandpas were in the Navy during WWII, so I have a definate soft spot for vintage sailor uniforms.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Lauren Henline said:
Awwww!!!! Mojave, you're so cute!
Aw, shucks! You're making me blush! :eek:
Lauren Henline said:
And thanks everyone! We can't take credit for owning the suits (although I do own a suit and a pair of wool pants like Trickeration, who looks adorable, btw) but I'm really getting a kick out of this thread! Both my grandpas were in the Navy during WWII, so I have a definate soft spot for vintage sailor uniforms.
But you and Vanessa get a lot of credit for making the uniform look so good! Sorry, Root!

Wild Root

Gone Home
carebear said:
The recruiting office (thankfully) did not agree... :D

Those are WWI posters... they did a great deal for recruiting in the first war, however, women's involvement in the Navy was practically nonexistent in the Great War.

Here are WAVES recruiting posters of WWII which I like very much.

waves.gif

wwiip33.jpg

wwiip121.jpg

=WR=

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Thank you so much Mojave Jack for sending me this great gear! I'm playing around with the dixie cap right now to find the right shape.
How should I attach the patch? Do I just tack it on with a few stitches?

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Wow, Ray, that was pretty quick! And here I'm still waiting on some stuff from Orvis that's coming from inside the US!

Here's the proper, salty way to wear your dixie cup, garuanteed to make your Chief mad!

steve.jpg

sanpebbles54.jpeg

The Navy prefers it to be as round as possible, with no creases, fold, or anything, which looks absolutely ridiculous.

On the rank patch, it can be sewn on by hand or by professional seamstress. As for placement, it's been a long time since I had to put one on, but if you can find a copy of the Bluejacket Manual, it will tell you exactly how to place the patch. If you want to be a Petty Officer Fist Class, you leave all three stripes as they are. If you want to be a Petty Officer Second Class, you cut a small inverted V at the very tip of hte patch, so that you can fold the bottom stripe up under the patch so that only two stripes are vissible. Same thring for Petty Offcier Third Class, excpet only one stripe should show. You might be able to line up the edges based on the position of the old patch. They should be about the same width.

You might have to check the Navy regs for more detailed guidance. I am getting fuzzy on the details!

Cobden

Practically Family
Finally got some photo's of me in Square rig:
Summer:
summersailor.jpg

Winter:
sailorwinter-1.jpg

and exactly the sort of pose that one cannot do in the presence of the Master of Arms:
nocharge.jpg

jeep44

One of the Regulars
A number of years ago, a friend picked up a US Navy WW2 uniform for me at an estate sale-it is the complete blue uniform, but the most interesting thing about it is that it belonged to a local sailor who was stationed on the USS Missouri,and was present at the Japanese surrender. It came with a number of paper items,such as the ship's newspaper detailing the ceremony,and a number of clippings about the sailor himself.

Hondo

One Too Many
Powerhouse: You and Wildroot and gals look great, how I envy the slim guys, got to diet to look that cool, Thanks for sharing :eusa_clap

BWT: Cobden, you look great, now iron those pants else its the brig for you ;)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Naw. I just grew up admiring the exploits of some of my dad's old superiors in the photo service. Several were WW2 combat fliers including one former Flying Tiger turned recon pilot, and one line officer who went to flight school postwar and flew the PB4Y (a B-24 in blue paint).

I thought the green uniform was the coolest g/d thing ever when I saw Jos?© Ferrer wear it in The Caine Mutiny. Nowadays I understand it's mostly worn by chiefs in training positions.

ltedge

New in Town
Av Greens

Fletch said:
I thought the green uniform was the coolest g/d thing ever when I saw José Ferrer wear it in The Caine Mutiny. Nowadays I understand it's mostly worn by chiefs in training positions.

Actually, it's not really worn too much at all. I'm an aviator and I have a set that I wear to work on occasion, the problem is it's a working uniform so it can only be worn if it's an aviation command and then only in the workplace (I'm onboard an Aircraft Carrier so I can legally wear them). I love them and like to wear them in place of my working khaki. I think they look great, especially when I put my G-1 on in place of the jacket. That's me in my avatar.

Unfortunately, they're being cut in the latest round of uniform changes, so I've only got another year or two to wear them.

Cobden

Practically Family
Fletch said:
Boy, except for the updated hair on the bareheaded gal, I was almost fooled! Couple of squared-away jackies, there.

I gotta dig out my nav av greens for you folks and snap some pix.

If I did, then I would get sent to the brig!

AeroDillo

Familiar Face
For anybody interested in an old submarine sailor's take on the classic uniform, take a look here.

http://www.olgoat.com/

You'll have to dig for it a bit. Click "After Battery" at the ribbon on the top of the page, and then do a search for "Old Rascals Will Remember".

It's got some language, as most of his stories tend to, but they make for a good read.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
ltedge said:
Actually, it's not really worn too much at all. I'm an aviator and I have a set that I wear to work on occasion, the problem is it's a working uniform
That may be classification, but I'd have a hard time believing it's the reality in today's Navy. It's a dress uniform that's only authorized for wear in situations where it's no longer practical. You'd have to change to crew most aircraft or to do any grubby operations, no?

I'm surprised the Navy didn't get rid of it long ago, but then again, it probably didn't have a high enough profile to get rid of. Besides, isn't an "optional" uniform the option of the unit CO, not the individual?

Ric, I actually think you project more of a WW2 look in the final, color picture. You're a little rumpled and don't have as much of a war face on. (The bigger the war, the less war face, if you look at old photos.)

eniksleestack

One of the Regulars
On the subject of older US Navy uniforms, I was wondering if anyone could identify the origin and/ or era that this belt buckle was made:

usn2.jpg

usn1.jpg

I found it in a box of my grandmother's. I know her father was in the Navy during World War One (before he joined the Army!), but I can't be sure if this was his. Nor can I find any information on this particular type of buckle -- there aren't any markings other than the anchor on front and I'm not even sure if it's US Navy issue. It is fairly heavy and solid, and has a certain patina of age so I know it's not too modern. But other than those bits I really have no clue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran