Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your shadowboxes!

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The delightful Kitty T gave me a Turner shadowbox mirror for a housewarming gift. Now that I finally have one, I'm not sure what to display in it! Who has 'em, who displays what in 'em? And does anyone have any vintage pictures showing shadowbox mirrors in the 40s and 50s?

Here's a pic...that's my chair, also. lol

cp1_1101091628.jpg

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
What a very cool house warming gift! I love the design on the sides of the box.

I have some of my tiki mugs displayed in mine.

shadowbox22.jpg

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mary - I'd love to have one like that! I love the atomic feel. I love mine too - the orange and aqua combo is a big fave.

I have lots of tiki mugs I could certainly display - great idea! I'm currently scouring ebay for vintage poison bottles. :)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
OMG Mary, I'm so jealous. I'd love one like that - found a couple on Craigslist, but for either way too much money or they sold before I could get to them!

I don't have a shadow box, but I have some mod display shelves similar to these:
41ya0Y1d0UL._AA260_.jpg

I use them to display a collection of vintage hair pomade tins!

I also thought at one point that it would be fun to have a shadowbox displayed with vintage rayguns and sci-fi alien stuff! That's an expensive collection to have though!

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I remember a neighbor displaying Hummels in her shadowbox mirror back in the early 1970's. Of course, both the Hummel figurines and the shadowbox were more than a little dated by that time. I remember late 1950's photos of the home of an old friend of my father's in which an atomic age shadowbox mirror filled with lace trimmed Royal Doulton figurines featured prominently, along with maple "Colonial" furniture of the spinning wheel/butter churn/dry sink variety. I remember the room as it stood, little changed, in the early 1970's. As I recall the upholstery was a mixture of polka dots and ruffles and imitation crazy quilt. A bridge lamp appeared to have been made from a spinning wheel, with a shade covered in 1860's fashion plates. The lamps on the sofa end tables were chalkware Siamese dancers with "Atomic" parchment shades. On the dry sink (which was fitted with a HI-FI) was a tall table lamp made from a very small pot-belly stove, with an oversized cylendrical shade covered in blue burlap. In one corner of the room stood a pole lamp with three "Kerosene" lights with quilted amber shades.

I cannot imagine why no one re-creates rooms like this. :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav