Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your SHOES !!!

flyfishark

Practically Family
The coolest shoes that no one bought. Offered by flyfishark. How could these not sell?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ant...?pt=US_Mens_Vintage_Shoes&hash=item45fd1cdccf

I once had a pair of 1940s "Antonio De Falco" spade sole cap-toe oxfords in forest green suede. Ended up selling them to Dita Von Teese's boyfriend at the time. (Pre-Marilyn Manson era.) Until flyfishark's came along, they were the only pair of "Antonio De Falco"s I'd ever seen.

Thanks to Marc and Cookie for your kind words about shoes that don't fit me. Even worse, I tried the old "list at $9.99 on wonderful Florsheim Royal Imperial shells with original bags--they sold on ebay for $62. Never again. I'll find a homeless guy that needs shoes first. Go ahead, Cookie, let me hear you laugh!! (they were little, not the clodhopper sizes you wear)

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Thanks to Marc and Cookie for your kind words about shoes that don't fit me. Even worse, I tried the old "list at $9.99 on wonderful Florsheim Royal Imperial shells with original bags--they sold on ebay for $62. Never again. I'll find a homeless guy that needs shoes first. Go ahead, Cookie, let me hear you laugh!! (they were little, not the clodhopper sizes you wear)

I never kick a guy unnecessarily when he's down....;)

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
My Shoes (all with shoe-trees!)

I promised I would upload some of my shoes and boots ... well here goes. I am starting with my all time favourites. I got these from the Joseph Cheaney factory shop in Desborough, Northants about fifteen years ago. They were not sold under the Cheaney label, but had been made for 'Holland and Holland', a hunting/shooting shop in London. I paid about £70 and have spent about £100 on having them reheeled and resoled a couple of times. However, back in the late 1990swhen I bought them, they sold at around £400. So I have had a real bargain. Amazingly for a boot of such high quality, they are unlined! It shocked me at the time but having worn them so many times over the years, I have never really noticed. A truly great boot. I hope you like them.

IMG_0651.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Here goes with the next batch of boots: This first pair are for those wet days (we get a lot of them here) when the walk to work would wreck a good pair of shoes (I do a lot of walking). They are incredibly comfortable and (like all my boots and shoes) are from Joseph Cheaney.
IMG_0670.jpg

IMG_0672.jpg

The boots above are good for the rain but in really cold weather this next pair are my favourites. They are amazingly warm and always go with me on ski trips to Canada. They have a nice thick bellows tongue and the leather is very soft. I believe that Cheaneys made them for the outdoor clothing company 'Hoggs of Fife' (but not certain about that).
IMG_0674.jpg

IMG_0673.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Well gentlemen, since I am sitting in front of the computer I might as well keep going.
My last two posts covered my heavier boots, but of course one also needs more formal boots. For day wear in spring and autumn the following ones are my favourites. Whenever possible, I try to get two pairs: one black, one in whichever shade of brown. In this case there was at least a three year gap between getting the brown pair and the black ones. I can't remember how many times I had been into the shop in the hope of finding some. And suddenly one day last year, there they were! I snapped them up. To be honest, the black leather never looks as good as the brown. It's simply that the varying shades that develop on brown leather has a true beauty: black leather can only be shiny or dull. Also the leather of the black boot is much stiffer than the brown and has a stamped grain, rather than the natural grain on the brown pair.
The chaps in the factory tell me that this style of boots are incredibly popular with gypsies and travellers - no idea why.

IMG_0658.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

Then just a few months later, along comes this pair, in a smooth leather and with ski-hooks.
IMG_0669.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Then we have the boots and shoes for more formal occasions. These boots have an incredible style that puts them firmly in the first half of the 20th Century. They are narrow and high lacing and have a leather sole. Normally I prefer a rubber sole (as I mentioned earlier, I walk or cycle almost everyday and leather soles are treacherous on a bike and perilous in the eight months of almost constant rain we have each year) but these can only look right with a leather sole - anything else would throw them out of balance.
These were the most amazing value. I saw them in the factory shop for just £50 a pair, about three years ago. That day I left the shop with a very broad grin on my face.
I have worn the black with a dinner suit and I love to wear the brown boots with a rather heavy green woolen suit in a 1930s style.

IMG_0665.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Of course, one can't always wear boots. The same rule applies to shoes: if possible get one pair of black and one in brown. No wardrobe is complete without the good-old Oxfords.

IMG_0676.jpg

IMG_0677.jpg

And then, how can I resist a half-brogue:

IMG_0700.jpg

IMG_0701.jpg

As you can see from the toe-caps, although these are essentially the same shoe, the brown was made on a different last, with a squarer toe:

IMG_0702.jpg

And I came across this pair in the back of a cupboard, whilst organising myself to take these photographs. These got put away since they need to be re-heeled. I think they've been in that cupboard for about ten years!

IMG_0706.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
These next two pairs have an incredible talent: they can predict the weather! It's true! Whenever I put them on, I know it's going to rain (sorry, but I'm back onto English summers). Great shoes, but useless unless good weather is guaranteed. As you can see, the white ones are in need of a damn good clean.

IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

Thus, I prefer to wear suede boots in the summer. These are both looking rather battered since they just came back from the family holiday to Toronto:

IMG_0703.jpg

flyfishark

Practically Family
I promised I would upload some of my shoes and boots ... well here goes. I am starting with my all time favourites. I got these from the Joseph Cheaney factory shop in Desborough, Northants about fifteen years ago. They were not sold under the Cheaney label, but had been made for 'Holland and Holland', a hunting/shooting shop in London. I paid about £70 and have spent about £100 on having them reheeled and resoled a couple of times. However, back in the late 1990swhen I bought them, they sold at around £400. So I have had a real bargain. Amazingly for a boot of such high quality, they are unlined! It shocked me at the time but having worn them so many times over the years, I have never really noticed. A truly great boot. I hope you like them.

IMG_0651.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

What is this skin??

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Although I am fiercely proud of British shoe and boot making, I am not averse to American styling on footwear (it's just that I have vowed never to wear anything made outside Northamptonshire). The brogues are both looking rather tired and are due to be refurbished (when I can afford it):

IMG_0698.jpg

IMG_0696.jpg

IMG_0686.jpg

IMG_0687.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I am almost finished. This pair is one of my rare mistakes. I questioned myself as to the wisdom of buying them as I stood in the shop looking in the mirror. The trouble is, they were just £50. I should have realised they were too pointed for me. Too sleek - too modern. But i bought them - probably feeling that I would regret it if i left the shop without at least buying something:

IMG_0707.jpg

As for these ones - they are on their last legs - dying on my feet! But I love them and can't throw them out. So they are like slippers to me. Or so i thought. A few weeks back I broke a toe. Suddenly I needed very soft shoes - so they were perfect. I knew I was right to keep them.

IMG_0709.jpg

IMG_0712.jpg

So I think that's everything. I hope you've enjoyed them.

P.S. If anyone is interested, I am going to the Joseph Cheaney factory shop in the next week or so. Do you want to see photographs of the shelves. On the right day, its a wonder to behold. I feel a sense of great excitement as i open the door, just hoping all my favourite shoes will be on sale. Sometimes I'm lucky, sometimes not. Then, I stand next to the amply stocked shelves of size 8 (the sample size - meaning there is always an amazing choice) and wish my feet were smaller!

SteveAS

Practically Family

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters