Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Straw

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
It being the cooler season of the year... I thought we would bring some fond memories of the warmer times for our friends in the middle and Eastern parts of the country by showing some straws

I have a couple vintage straw hats and a Boater... I have posted pics of the boater.

Whether it cost the price of a car or, be something you picked up at a dime store, I want to see it.

100_0066-th.jpg

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Optimo Milan Straw with a center dent.
1090956_IMG-vi.jpg

Vintage Montecristi circa 1950, grade 23 (525+ weaves per sq. inch). It's currently in Chicago being cleaned and reblocked, then it's going up for sale.
Anybody wear a 7 1/8 or 7 1/4?

103_0366-vi.jpg

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Optimo Cuenca Straw

This is a beautiful hat, a Cuenca straw fedora block. It is coarser than the Montecristi's, and much less expensive. It is heavier, and a bit stiffer. A very high quality straw. Notice the bands, they are PUGAREE's . You can change them like a necktie...they clip on the hat body and wrap around and there is a hook on the end.
What a great way to have one hat and several bands to choose from depending on what you are wearing, or the occasion.

I have burgundy (looks reder than it is in photo) a paisley red (not shown), a green stripe, black, and a very beatuiful blue.

fa59ee67.jpg.orig.jpg

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Originally posted by Matt Deckard
Almost forgot you had that one. Have you gotten much of a chance to wear it?

I have worn it more than my felts, because of how hot and humid it is here in SC.

Up next for me is either an Optimo Montecristi, or a heavyweight.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Here's two pictures of the Montecristi after Optimo cleaned and reblocked it. It fits my cousin perfectly, as seen in the pictures. It's on ebay right now, but if any of you want it, just say the word.

95_1.JPG

5f_1.JPG

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Don't I know it. If it were a 7 5/8, It'd be sitting on my head right now. It really looks terrific on him. Great vintage hat.

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars
I like my Scala hat. It was great to wear in Cozumel this year.

scalafront.jpg

scalaleft.jpg

It has lost its shape after the trip. A few splashes in the ocean will do that.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Has anyone

..bought a hat from Robert in Equador, who is the panamahat.biz and he just posted photos of the Indy straw.

I was wondering about any word of mouth endorsements....straws can be dicey to buy.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
A guy with the handle SHARPETOYS has bought multiple montecristis from him. He has a good reputation around here, by all accounts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats