Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Switchblades

This Switchblade is a heirloom. It's been in the family a long time. My Uncle who was in the Navy at the time brought it home for my dad as a gift. I'm guessing it is about 50 [correction..... I'm almost 50, so this blade would more closer to perhaps 70 years old].

Rostfrei Blade, sweet bull horn handle, and a spring as strong as day one. This old blade opens swiftly.

Overall length open: 10-3/4 inches

Check it out.....
stuff005.jpg

stuff011.jpg

stuff009.jpg

Mav

A-List Customer
Nice. I've been wanting to score one of these, mostly as a last- ditch weapon, but a classy one is hard to find. Used to have a nice bone- handled Balisong butterfly, but after a late night trip to Humana hospital and several stitches after practicing with it convinced that I wasn't up to the skill set required for a butterfly.
Side note: strangely, the legal penalty for being caught with one of these in my State is harsher than being caught with a concealed firearm. Go figure.

Edward

Bartender
Levallois said:
Nice switchblade CRM ! Here is the only one that I own - Hammer Brand, made in the late 1940s-early 1950s (I think?).

DSC01505.jpg

DSC01506.jpg

Interesting shape, never seen one of those before. Not that I've ever handled a switchblade. They've been illegal here for decades, the one exception being for those who have only one hand.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Edward said:
Interesting shape, never seen one of those before. Not that I've ever handled a switchblade. They've been illegal here for decades, the one exception being for those who have only one hand.

Interesting exception. Switchblades have been illegal in the States for decades too...not that that seems to stop people from owning them.

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
Mav said:
Side note: strangely, the legal penalty for being caught with one of these in my State is harsher than being caught with a concealed firearm. Go figure.
My understanding s that out the front switchblades are illegal, would someone please tell me why?
And I used to have a spring assisted knife until my friend lost it...:(

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Mav said:

Yeah, California takes a hard stance against switchblades. The origins of the law's stiff penalties have to do with the associations between switchblades and criminality/juvenile delinquency (think Rebel Without a Cause)...speaking of which, I have a couple of vintage switchblades I bought years ago as a teenager, I should see if I can find them and post some pictures for this thread.

The law....

I never take the blade out of the house because they are illegal, not to mention I would hate to lose it or drop it and crack the horn.

I also store it open; I would think it preserves the spring. I'm not sure if it's illegal to own one though. Interesting, thing, I really don't care..lol

Guttersnipe said:
Interesting exception. Switchblades have been illegal in the States for decades too...not that that seems to stop people from owning them.

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
Guttersnipe said:
Yeah, California takes a hard stance against switchblades. The origins of the law's stiff penalties have to do with the associations between switchblades and criminality/juvenile delinquency (think Rebel Without a Cause)...speaking of which, I have a couple of vintage switchblades I bought years ago as a teenager, I should see if I can find them and post some pictures for this thread.
So they are illegal for looks and by association? That seems a bit cockeyed.

Mav

A-List Customer
Vintage lover said:
So they are illegal for looks and by association? That seems a bit cockeyed.

Looks and association are the only criteria for CA's continued "assault weapon" ban. But, that gets us too close to politics and the idiocy that is CA.
We only live here because of the weather and geography.

Dav

One Too Many
Here's mine, not the quality of the ones above but switchblades never the less. Both spent many years sitting on a shelf in a garden shed but I have to admit whenever I needed to open a bag of compost or cut a piece of string they are always the knife I seem to reach for as you can open them one handed.

This one I've had for more than 30 years
S1051809.jpg

S1051806.jpg

S1051808.jpg

And this one I found about 10 years ago in a sports bag that I kicked.
S1051811.jpg

S1051812.jpg

Find those blades...

Have you located your old Switchblades?[huh] Looking forward to seeing them......:D

Guttersnipe said:

Shed tools

Considering that it had been in the shed all these years, it's still looking pretty decent:eusa_clap

Dav said:
Here's mine, not the quality of the ones above but switchblades never the less. Both spent many years sitting on a shelf in a garden shed but I have to admit whenever I needed to open a bag of compost or cut a piece of string they are always the knife I seem to reach for as you can open them one handed.

This one I've had for more than 30 years
S1051809.jpg

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
Mav said:
Looks and association are the only criteria for CA's continued "assault weapon" ban. But, that gets us too close to politics and the idiocy that is CA.
We only live here because of the weather and geography.
Too true, I suppose it is hard to address California without touching on the laws or politics. And I suppose that being cockeyed has never stopped a law from being passed...http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/california?page=20

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner