Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Tattoos

Spiffy

A-List Customer
cynroux said:
And a bit of my own collection (Photo courtesy of Atomic Cheesecake Studios):
2968640987_8542cf83cd.jpg

Oh my god! Those peacock feathers are absolutely beautiful!

RIOT

Practically Family
Cynthia & Matt – Amazing Work! :eusa_clap

Same as Mike, I will definitely keep you both in mind for ink when traveling.

Inky

One Too Many
Wow, you guys are amazing artists! It's wonderful to see how the art has developed over the last 29 years since I got my first tattoo in San Pedro (!).

I am glad I already have an appointment for the 22nd, or I'd be itching for more ink far worse than I already am!

beautiful work, everyone, artists and collectors alike!

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Tatoos on women in the 1930s and 40s?

I was at a vintage fair recently, and a stall was staffed by a very attractive young lady who had the hairstyle, clothes and accessories 'just right' for a late 1930s-early WW2 impression. I complemented her, but couldn't help observing that her tattoos (visible on her arms and neck) were hardly 'period'. She disagreed strongly, claiming that I was wrong and that many women sported extensive tatoos at the time.

Now, I don't claim to know everything about the period, but I was born in WW2, I examine photographs and watch films (including documentaries) from this period and I can't recall seeing any women with large tattoos on their visible parts outside of a fairground 'tattood lady'. Have I missed something? Can anyone show a genuine 1930s-40s photograph of an ordinary lady with extensive tatoos?

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
You are right and she is wrong. Next year you can enjoy the pleasure of returning to the fair and correcting the impudent pup.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Differences between then and now: now civilian women can have tattoos but active-duty sailors need to fill out sheets of forms, and to enlist with existent tattoos requires waivers. [huh]

Incorporeal13

Familiar Face
These are mine, so far. Right now I only have script, but I have so many tattoos planned out to get I don't know where to start getting more.
These are my wrists, they say Regret Nothing:
l_0784754ccbff49a8827c56e5b0f6d528.jpg

And my chest, that says The Curse Of Curves:
l_6a63889a1dc94eb0a4a2ca2e764addd6.jpg

Next tattoo will most definitely be something other than script. [huh]

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Oh, I love this! Do you mind if I add it to the list of 'Reversals Over Time' (ROT) that I bore people with at dinner parties?

Viola said:
Differences between then and now: now civilian women can have tattoos but active-duty sailors need to fill out sheets of forms, and to enlist with existent tattoos requires waivers. [huh]

H.Johnson

One Too Many
OK, but do you mind if I ask to inspect the rest of her tatoos instead?

MudInYerEye said:
You are right and she is wrong. Next year you can enjoy the pleasure of returning to the fair and correcting the impudent pup.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
MudInYerEye said:

I have to disagree here. While tattooing was obviously not as popular with women back in the pre-WWII days, heavily tattooed women, while rare, did exist outside the realm of side-shows. They just kept them covered from public view more often than not.

So in a sense, you're both correct.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Betty Broadbend was a very popular tattooed lady pre-WWII, that worked as a circus and side-show performer.
broadbent.jpg

Cindy Ray, however, was a tattoo artist, not a performer.
CindyRay1.jpg

I have dozens of vintage photos in my private collection of unknown ladies with tattoo work from the 40's, 50's and 60's..

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I have finally found out how to re-work the tattoo on the small of my back - I am going to add cherry blossoms and perhaps some more, smaller butterflies diagonal across/behind the current one. Now I just can't wait to find and artist and get it done! .. Thanks a lot R. you are the biggest and baddest influence I know! ;)

mike

Call Me a Cab
If anyone's interested, this week I've got one of my two tattoo artists at my house in Queens tattooing all black and gray portrait work for very affordable prices! :)

Viola

Call Me a Cab
H.Johnson said:
Oh, I love this! Do you mind if I add it to the list of 'Reversals Over Time' (ROT) that I bore people with at dinner parties?

Go with it, I gift my useless information to society! ;)

cynroux

Familiar Face
You beat me to it, Mr. Crunk. :)
Hooray for the lovely pioneering tattooed ladies of yesteryear!
ArtoriaGibbons.jpg

Matt Crunk said:
Betty Broadbend was a very popular tattooed lady pre-WWII, that worked as a circus and side-show performer.
broadbent.jpg

Cindy Ray, however, was a tattoo artist, not a performer.
CindyRay1.jpg

I have dozens of vintage photos in my private collection of unknown ladies with tattoo work from the 40's, 50's and 60's..

mike

Call Me a Cab
cynroux said:
You beat me to it, Mr. Crunk. :)
Hooray for the lovely pioneering tattooed ladies of yesteryear!
ArtoriaGibbons.jpg

do you think these are more examples of the exceptions rather than the norm though...?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany