Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SHOW US YOUR TAXIDERMY

pretty faythe

One Too Many
ooo..hmmm...I have all respect for people who can kill stuff. I love to I am an omnivore all the way! I want to learn archery, for shooting at targets, but I am a wuss and wouldnt be able to acutally look at something and shoot it. I've gone to elks lodg a few time for differ off union gatherings and the elks heads have freaked me out. Its like their marble eyes are following yoouuuuu!! lol

warbird

One Too Many
Taxidermy really took off in the 20th century and was very popular after famed people like TR and Hemingway had magazine spreads in the early to mid part of the century.

I have several mounts and many more notches in the belt. I shall have a caribou to add in September. My wife doesn't care for them so I keep them in my workshop.

Nice Kudu by the way. Anytime I can provide food and sustenance for mine or another family it makes me feel pleased. Hunters for the hungry programs have a great deal of demand at this time.

Hunting is one of the few ways we can still connect directly with our ancestor back hundreds and thousands of years ago. I feel lucky to be able to spend so much time in the wonderful creation of this world. There is so much to see and do and adventure has become so watered down. I seek to get out, not read of adventures, but to live and experience and relate to what others wrote and felt.

Akubra said:
Does anyone else here like to kill stuff, eat it and then take what is left over and hang it on your wall??

Or otherwise engage in the pursiut of hunting and the art of taxidermy????lol

If you are interested check out this link. This is some of my stuff.

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/r...d3d0eac2bf12f12eb75ef82b5&sid=8AZNXDhq3atFGc8

Lets show off our taxidermy and hunting pictures...

That is quite a full mount there and the Cape buffalo is nice as well. You do these yourself?
I had a Corsican Sheep a while back but I gave it to a friend of mine. He recently acquired a full mount badger that is fairly ferocious looking. His collection numbers in the dozens though so he is far ahead of me. :D

Akubra

Familiar Face
I didn't do any of the taxidermy myself, the only thing I have ever done is clean and bleach out some skulls.

Akubra

Familiar Face
jamespowers said:
Gee, then that full mount must have cost you quite a tidy sum. :eek: I'd love to have one but the cost is prohibitive here. [huh]

It was a lot cheaper in Africa than the US. I get all my African taxidermy done in Africa. You have to ship the stuff home either way, you might as well send it home finished.

I use a taxidermist in the US for anything from North America.

Akubra

Familiar Face
Neat article. That is a little to Adams Family for me. I prefer more contemporary things. Also I find no value in the display of a animal in taxidermy that I did not hunt.

Just my .2

Akubra said:
It was a lot cheaper in Africa than the US. I get all my African taxidermy done in Africa. You have to ship the stuff home either way, you might as well send it home finished.

I use a taxidermist in the US for anything from North America.

That makes sense now. They likely know how to do it there as well since there are tons of opportunities to develop the skill. ;) :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo