Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

ScarlettTurner

New in Town
slideviewerLR.jpg

This is definitely vintage. A 1944 slide viewer. Belongs to my hubby.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I love your room MaryDeluxe! The mirror and the tv are especially great and that's a perfect 50s blue on the wall. Congrats on your fabulous coffee table!

Starius

Practically Family
MaryDeluxe said:

That table stand you have on the far right...
The last auction I was at had 7 or 8 of those. I was hoping to pick one up for a decent price. But one guy got the first choice bid at $60 and he bought all of them for that price. I later heard that he saw them go for $250 on ebay so thats why he scooped them all up. I still wish I had bid higher or something. I just wanted one!

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
Starius said:
That table stand you have on the far right...
The last auction I was at had 7 or 8 of those. I was hoping to pick one up for a decent price. But one guy got the first choice bid at $60 and he bought all of them for that price. I later heard that he saw them go for $250 on ebay so thats why he scooped them all up. I still wish I had bid higher or something. I just wanted one!

$60 OMG! What a good deal for first picks! No wonder he took all of them. That's what happens with dealers, they know what they can make in profit from something if they get it cheap enough. When bidding against a dealer you know there will be a point that they have to stop bidding because they know they can't make a profit from it. Next time hang in there if you can because in the end you will still get it cheaper at auction then buying at an antique shop. If it makes you feel better, here's a picture of the rest of the Heywake furniture that I didn't get. I didn't even bother bidding but it was sure fun to watch the dealers go at it! Sold for $3,400 all the dining room pieces plus a desk! What a deal!! They sold everything as a set:(
heywake1.jpg

Starius

Practically Family
Though not quite the same, I do have some library furniture from around the same era:

0201filecabinetia8.jpg

0202filecabinetch7.jpg

I thought the filing cabinet would make a nice little table. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the matching card catalog that went with it.

I'm still not totally sure what I'll do with this one. But I know I'll come up with something.

0401rackdrawertn4.jpg

0402rackdrawerqx5.jpg

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
Starius...That bottom piece is very cool. I would use that in my studio to hold artwork. I'm sure you can find something creative to do with it.:)

Starius

Practically Family
texasgirl said:
We have one of those at work in the library. We use it for maps and atlases?!?!
MaryDeluxe said:
Starius...That bottom piece is very cool. I would use that in my studio to hold artwork. I'm sure you can find something creative to do with it.:)

Yeah, I was thinking either keeping it as is and using it to store printed collectables such as art portfolios and advertisements or making matching Plexiglas covered removable trays that fit on the sliding racks for storing small random collectables. In any event, I want to use it in my home library but I don't quite have the room for it right now.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Starius said:
Though not quite the same, I do have some library furniture from around the same era:

0201filecabinetia8.jpg

0202filecabinetch7.jpg

I thought the filing cabinet would make a nice little table. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the matching card catalog that went with it.

I'm still not totally sure what I'll do with this one. But I know I'll come up with something.

0401rackdrawertn4.jpg

0402rackdrawerqx5.jpg

Starius, these pictures bring back good memories for me of my grade school library. That was in the 70's but it was filled with furniture just like these.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou